Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PJF13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
I've watched the WWDC 2008 Keynote and read many posts but I was hoping someone could clarify this for me -

I live in Maine, it appears there is no 3G here based on the ATT coverage maps. Is there ANY reason from me to get the new phone if I can't utilize 3G?

From what I can tell the only benefit to the new phone is that it is a tiny bit thinner, now has a plastic back, has 3G and thus allows for GPS.

The major changes are coming via the software update 2.0 which can be used on the existing iPhones. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks!

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
The GPS is not just working through 3G, although when avalable 3G does help it, however it will work fine without any signal at all, and when there is no 3G GPRS or EDGE will help it.

If you wont use GPS, just keep your first gen iPhone.

Oh yeah, mods, there should be seprate sections for the iPhone 3G and the first gen iPhone.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
The new iPhone is very so slightly thicker i thought?

Um well you wont be able to use the GPS on the iPhone V1 only iPhone 3G and you wont looks as cool as the person sat next to you on the train with the iPhone 3G :D Thats the main reason im getting one. ;)

They are rolling out 3G as fast as they can so im sure you will get it sooner or later.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

You are correct. I don't think they will be selling the original iPhone any more though so if you one you'll have to go to Ebay or somewhere like that.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
the iPhone 3g also has a better battery.
- the first gen iPhone is no longer sold, and even if you got one on ebay, the $20 iphone plan no longer exsists...

PJF13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Oh cool thanks, so with my 1st gen. iPhone I can even have GPS - thanks for the clarification.

So far the only reason I find myself wanting the new iPhone 3G is because it's new. The form factor is great but so isn't the original...if the call signal / reception is better now due to the plastic back that would be great.

If Maine had 3G I'd switch without a doubt.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Im sure that you will have to have the iPhone 3G to use the GPS. This not the case?

phannon666

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Bucks, UK
The 1st Gen iPhone can not and will not ever be able to utilise GPS tech. Unless there's an add-on device (which I believe is in development (3rd Party)).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.