Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
OK, so I get that the data plan is moving from $20 to $30, and too bad if you don't have 3G in your area...

But what I am not clear on is did we lose the bundled 200 txt's also - meaning that you would have to add a $5 txt plan for a total of $15 more per month?

Much of the media coverage seems to be saying only $10 more, but the forum posts seem to say $15. I suspect no one really knows yet.

It never ceases to amaze me that AT&T is so slow to post the rate info...

It will be interesting to see if the lower initial price combined with a higher monthly fee really attracts all the new customers who have been waiting on the iPhone. It would seem to me that the "everyday people" who want an iPhone, but have NOT purchased the phone because of cost, are going to be initially attracted to the lower initial cost, but then blown away by the higher monthly.

I think this is especially true for people with teenagers. I was just getting to the point, where I thought the $20 data plan might be OK for the kids, but a 50% increase pushes it out of reach again.

I really hope this works out for Apple, but I think this increase really puts a damper on things for the "average buyer" who is supposed to make up the bulk of those new buyers.

I'm as big of an Apple fanboi as you can get, and I can certainly afford the increased cost, but if we have to pay 50% more for faster data quite a few of us can't use, and then pay more for txt's too, it seems like it is alot to swallow.

They would sell a ton more of these to the teenager market if you could get an iPhone without a data plan...

I guess one way to look at this as the cost of the 3G phone is equivalent to an initial cost of $559 ($199 + 24*15) with the same old $20 data plan and 200 txt's (over 24 months)...

(edit) This link pretty much confirms that the 200 txt messages are no longer bundled into the price:

http://gigaom.com/2008/06/09/att-mobility-ceo-new-3g-iphone-game-changer

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
The link is on many threads in this forum but I don't want to hunting for it. Anyway, it is $15 extra not $10. For 200 texts it's $5, not sure if it's $10 or $15 for 1500, and $20 for unlimited.

Kinda sux, well really sux actually

TexasAg

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
It used to be $20 for data and 200 texts. Now it is $30 for data and $5 for 200 texts.

So the increase depends on if you use text messages.

Bosox3

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
The link is on many threads in this forum but I don't want to hunting for it. Anyway, it is $15 extra not $10. For 200 texts it's $5, not sure if it's $10 or $15 for 1500, and $20 for unlimited.

Kinda sux, well really sux actually

as much as it sucks..its actually on par w/ most of the other carriers...like verizon and sprint.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
why would AT&T post the rate info for a phone thats not even available yet? its not like you can buy it. they're not obligated to post any info until july 11.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
why would AT&T post the rate info for a phone thats not even available yet? its not like you can buy it. they're not obligated to post any info until july 11.

So, in your perfect world, Apple should have told us about the iPhone yesterday and then refused to tell us the price?

After all, they aren't "obligated" to tell us that either.

Chax

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
Texas
as much as it sucks..its actually on par w/ most of the other carriers...like verizon and sprint.

I don't know what you are talking about, but I get unlimited texts on Sprint for only $5 per month.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Where does the subsidy come in?

If AT&T won't be paying Apple any of it's revenue, AND
the iPhone is going to sell for a MAX of $199 US in most countries,
Then where does the Subsidy come in? The $200 Subsidy that has been mentioned.
AT&T is Revenue Sharing on the present iPhone, and not paying any subsidy.
They will be making more money by the increased cost of the Data Plan and Txt messages.
Are they paying Apple $200 for each phone that is purchased?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It used to be $20 for data and 200 texts. Now it is $30 for data and $5 for 200 texts.

So the increase depends on if you use text messages.

Are you kidding me? Is AT&T really going to pull that stunt on something that costs them about 3.5 cents? For a $30 data plan, you'd better get an effin' free text message or 200. Shoot, the surprises keep on coming from them.

TexasAg

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
Are you kidding me? Is AT&T really going to pull that stunt on something that costs them about 3.5 cents? For a $30 data plan, you'd better get an effin' free text message or 200. Shoot, the surprises keep on coming from them.

AT&T is just bringing the iPhone in line with its other smartphones, which have plans that cost $30/month for data and $5/month (or more) for text messages. Don't shoot me - I don't work for them.:)

aross99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
If AT&T won't be paying Apple any of it's revenue, AND
the iPhone is going to sell for a MAX of $199 US in most countries,
Then where does the Subsidy come in? The $200 Subsidy that has been mentioned.
AT&T is Revenue Sharing on the present iPhone, and not paying any subsidy.
They will be making more money by the increased cost of the Data Plan and Txt messages.
Are they paying Apple $200 for each phone that is purchased?

From what I have read, the subsidy comes into play, in that Apple is going to sell the phone to AT&T for something like $467, and AT&T is then discounting the phone down to $199, leaving a $268 subsidy.

No big deal, when you raise the cost of the data plan $15/month, and you break even around 17 months...

What is unfortunate is that we had a great deal with the 2.5G iPhone compared to similar devices like the Blackberry. Silly me, I just assumed it would continue.

I agree that what they are doing makes sense from a business standpoint - why should the iPhone be any different from a Blackberry?

I just think it's odd that everyone is says they are going to sell a zillion iPhones now that the price has "dropped" to $199, when the monthly cost has increased pretty dramatically for most people.

I am used to paying $300-$400 for an iPod, so $399 for an iPhone was a no brainer for me. I was not used to spending $30 more per month to get a data plan on my phone, and I am not sure how many people are going to be willing to do that.

I just wonder if this will be a big enough barrier to "the masses" to keep them from moving to the iPhone in as great a numbers as they predict...

aross99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
AT&T is just bringing the iPhone in line with its other smartphones, which have plans that cost $30/month for data and $5/month (or more) for text messages. Don't shoot me - I don't work for them.:)

Unfortunately, it's all in the presentation. No one said anything about the data plans changing prices before now, and Steve certainly didn't say anything about them yesterday. All we heard was that price was one of the barriers to people getting an iPhone, so they lowered the price.

Now, I agree, that Steve probably doesn't need to talk about AT&T's pricing, and we all heard some rumors that the price may go up.

But how is a $199 phone + $35/month cheaper than a $399 phone + $20/month after a year?

Don't get me wrong, I know the new phone has 3G, but how many of us can get it? It would be interesting to see what % of iPhone users have access to 3G networks?

I'm definitely going to wait in line to get one, but I feel like the price cut shouldn't have been pushed as hard as it was...

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
I can see it now...

Those lines on July 11th are going to be long to begin with. But just wait until the overwhelming public realizes how much more they need to pay a month. We'll have some pissed off folk holding up the lines..."wait, WHAT? it costs how much to use that stupid phone each month?! I thought it was supposed to be cheaper!"

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get. Good ol' Steve tried to go about making this huge point of a "more affordable phone." Heck, it was one of the first items on the list of things that needed improvement. Did he really think we wouldn't realize that we were paying $15 more a month for the thing? I think someone else found the numbers to be 14-ish months of use before we end up back at the original price of $399.

sorrowharvester

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
On my Sprint blackberry I pay $39.99 a month FOR JUST THE DATA with NO text messages, $5 a month for mobile to mobile and $10 for night and weekends starting at 6pm
:(

Bosox3

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
I don't know what you are talking about, but I get unlimited texts on Sprint for only $5 per month.

I called both companies to get quotes and got these:

Verizon - 450 minutes/unlimited text/ unlimited web $79.99
Sprint - 450 minutes/unlimited text/unlimited web $69.99

those are on par w/ at&t's quotes for their 3g pricing.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC

Actually, that's not correct. I pay $15 for my EVDO data plan with Sprint. If I wanted to add unlimited text messages it would cost me an additional $5. So it's not on par with the other carriers.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
So, in your perfect world, Apple should have told us about the iPhone yesterday and then refused to tell us the price?

After all, they aren't "obligated" to tell us that either.

you hit the nail right on the head. They could have just announced it yesterday and werent obligated to give us a price until release date july 11. you're a very smart individual :rolleyes:

stlwx21

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
I guess I view the extra data cost as what I would pay if I had a house line.

No telemarketers, just the iPhone.

bassxhead

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
Quick math...
8GB model.. Unlimited data & 200 txt msgs...
Old phone & data plan over 24 contract months: 399+(20x24)= $879
New phone& data plan over 24 contract months: 199+(35x24)= $1039
Difference: $160
Conclusion: That doesn't seem "more affordable" to me.

kdarling

macrumors P6
As I pointed out last year, the first iPhone was also subsidized by ATT.

The difference is, that subsidy was given to Apple, who cleverly called it "revenue sharing" so the users wouldn't mind being ripped off.

Otherwise the first phone could've been nearly free.

njpodder

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Wait...

Wait, what the hell? This is the first I am hearing about data plan changes. The cheaper data on the iPhone vs. a blackberry/etc. was the single biggest tipping point that leaned me on the side of justifying such an expensive phone. That is bastardly to take that away now.

So, if I don't upgrade to the new 3G phone, and I just keep my Gen1 iPhone, they can't charge me extra on the data plan, right?

EDIT: Just got to the end of that article and noticed where he said 2G iPhones data plans will not change. Well, that just made my decision for me on upgrading. 3G = nice, GPS = nicer, 16 GB for less than I paid for 8 = really nicer, $299 for new phone, plus $15 a month extra for same features over 2 years = No way.

Bosox3

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Wait, what the hell? This is the first I am hearing about data plan changes. The cheaper data on the iPhone vs. a blackberry/etc. was the single biggest tipping point that leaned me on the side of justifying such an expensive phone. That is bastardly to take that away now.

So, if I don't upgrade to the new 3G phone, and I just keep my Gen1 iPhone, they can't charge me extra on the data plan, right?

right. You will still be paying your $20 for data intill you re-up w/ them...or change to the 3G iphone

infosprt

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
From the sound of things if they were to offer a refurbished 2G iPhone for $149 with the $20 per month data and text plan I think most people would prefer that to the new plan.

2G isn't bad when you have good reception. It's just that areas with good reception are few and far between. Now AT&T will charge $35 a month and for many the service will be just as poor as what we have today with 2G.

I was really pumped yesterday with the $199 price but today the excitement is gone. Maybe AT&T will change their minds. If not they are going to lose me as a customer as soon as my 2 year commitment is up.

-Al

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.