Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Autocar said:
The GINA roadster’s flexible, stretchable fabric skin is a man-made product that resists water, high or low temperatures and doesn’t swell or shrink. The essential shapes are formed beneath the skin by a metal wire structure, though at points where movement is needed (ducts, door openings, spoiler) flexible carbon struts are used.

Though the GINA’s skin appears seamless, it can, for instance, “grow” a higher rear spoiler for stability at high speed. The doors are each covered by a fabric piece reaching all the way from the nose of the car to their trailing edge. When closed, they leave a perfectly smooth stretched surface.

This concept, really clarifies an article that I read in the Winter 2006 BMW Magazine and that I didn't pay all that much attention to at the time.

The article itself explained the concept of (the now available) Efficient Dynamics, however there was a vague paragraph regarding aerodynamics, in particular how they're working on aerodynamics that automatically adjust to the speed of the car. Given the somewhat platitudinous nature of that comment, I'd barely given a second thought to the potential ramifications of such a statement.

And it would appear that I was very mistaken in doing so.

BMW GINA concept

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Sexy car.

Sounds like an interesting idea, reminds me a bit of batmans parachute material.

hotzenplotz

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
As long as we get LEV or ULEV vehicles that run without crude oil and its derivates, I am all for it.
Heh, funny quote
"Bangle also believes that the GINA car contains the seeds an elegant solution to future demands for affordable premium vehicles". Affordable and premium does not mix well.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The picture interests me, but a car that adjusts its aerodynamics? Why not just make the most aerodynamic, fuel efficient shape possible? I mean, they're not going to make a car that changes from a sports car into an SUV or something. A sports car will remain a sports car.

Anyway, it's cool that this would allow purchasers to "customize" the look of their car somewhat.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
The picture interests me, but a car that adjusts its aerodynamics? Why not just make the most aerodynamic, fuel efficient shape possible? I mean, they're not going to make a car that changes from a sports car into an SUV or something. A sports car will remain a sports car.

Anyway, it's cool that this would allow purchasers to "customize" the look of their car somewhat.

The Ferrari F1 car last season had a rear wing which changed shape at high speeds to reduce drag so it could go faster on long straights but at lower speeds gave the grip needed to go through corners. While I am not saying this is really that applicable for this car it does show the point that due to large ranges of speeds involved (20 mph-90 mph on normal roads) there is not one idea shape to cover all of them.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Very interesting concept and an awesome looking car. :)

I love my BMW 3 Series the way it is, but the ability to shape shift would be a plus. Guess I will just have to make do with the built-in stinger missiles and active stealth generator for the time being... ;) :cool:

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
The Ferrari F1 car last season had a rear wing which changed shape at high speeds to reduce drag so it could go faster on long straights but at lower speeds gave the grip needed to go through corners.

I highly doubt that. Such flexible or adjustable wings have been banned in F1 for quite some time now. If they actually had tried racing with that, they would have DQ'd, possibly banned for a GP or two, or, if not failed by the stewards, at least had another team complain about it, much like the Renault mass damper in 2006 (I still don't understand how that was classified as a "moveable aerodynamic device" ****ing Ron Dennis. :mad: ).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Surely on a road car, a retracting spoiler would do the trick if you wanted to drive at really high speeds on straight roads. :confused:

This seems like a bit of a gimmick, personally. It's cool, but cool in the way a newly discovered prime number is cool (i.e.: cool, but it won't make my life any better). :p

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
interesting concept. but until we stop hitting one another on the road, not the safest thing in the world.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
I highly doubt that. Such flexible or adjustable wings have been banned in F1 for quite some time now. If they actually had tried racing with that, they would have DQ'd, possibly banned for a GP or two, or, if not failed by the stewards, at least had another team complain about it

Ferrari's did, along with many other teams, hence the the introduction of a mandatory spacer between the rear wing elements to prevent them closing at high speeds and causing an aerodynamic stall, though obviously these are entirely passive systems, and not active ones.

The FIA, just before the Canadian GP, also requested that those teams with a bridge wing (every team other than Ferrari and Honda I believe) were required to fit a stanchion to help prevent flex of the bridge wing, after it was becoming increasingly obvious from onboard camera's that the bridge wings were flexing substantially at high speeds.

Abstract said:
Surely on a road car, a retracting spoiler would do the trick if you wanted to drive at really high speeds on straight roads.

It would if all you want to do is create/reduce downforce, but you're still stuck with a somewhat compromised aerodynamic solution relative to the entire speed range of the vehicle.

If you have a car that can actively adjust its entire aerodynamics, then it'd be able to continuously maximise not only it's aerodynamic efficiency, but also adapt to conditions where it may require more, or less downforce even though the speed is the same, for example, the aerodynamic demands are different between 80mph on a straight motorway, and 80mph on a twisty country road.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
I don't like the look of it. But sounds very interesting.

EDIT: After taking a good look at the other photos I have to say it look pretty okay.

hotzenplotz

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Now we just need someone with a pocket knife to go through the parking lot and rip the cloth to shreds.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
"After seeing the opening in the hood, I see how GINA must be pronounced." :D

bmw_gina_07_2.jpg

powerdave

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
Hamburg
LOL @ TimTheEnchanter

I think this type of technology would actually be far more useful on aircraft where aerodynamics have a real link to efficiency, rather than on cars where improvements are really hit and miss and a bit gimmicky.

A wing whereby the profile changed seamlessly between the "draggy" take-off and landing portions and the clean cruise portion of the flight would really be something.

Having said that, covering a wing in fabric again would seem like a step backwards in time and would probably frighten the bejesus out of passengers :D

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
LOL @ TimTheEnchanter

I think this type of technology would actually be far more useful on aircraft where aerodynamics have a real link to efficiency, rather than on cars where improvements are really hit and miss and a bit gimmicky.

A wing whereby the profile changed seamlessly between the "draggy" take-off and landing portions and the clean cruise portion of the flight would really be something.

Having said that, covering a wing in fabric again would seem like a step backwards in time and would probably frighten the bejesus out of passengers :D

Aircraft manufacturers have played with that already I think, the Concorde's head tilts up and down, and some other jet fighters have swept wing designs. Doesn't seem like the concept ever took off though...

va va va Gina:p

powerdave

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
Hamburg
That's true, but Concorde had a droop nose so the pilots could see the runway, not for aerodynamic reasons.
Fighters which vary the wing sweep still have rigid metal skin and still falls victim to all the usual protrusions, imperfections that the skin has to have to be structurally sound.

I'd love to see a demo of an aircraft with this sort of fabric stuff put to good use!

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Hmmm. I can see the advantages. It would be nice however if they were able to make the skin rigid - between transformations to prevent 'luffing' and the afore-mentioned risk of knifing.

I think science is working on nanocloths that might be able to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.