Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Jun 11, 2008, 02:05 AM   #1
Beowulf666
macrumors regular

Apple or Best Buy to repair?

Well I bought my Apple Macbook through their website, and now I need to get a slight clicking problem on my trackpad clicker fixed. I was wondering, since there are no apple stores where I love, would I have to send my macbook to Apple to get it fixed, or can I send it to the Geek Squad repair place in Best Buy to get it fixed? Thanks.
Beowulf666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:31 AM   #2
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf666 View Post
Well I bought my Apple Macbook through their website, and now I need to get a slight clicking problem on my trackpad clicker fixed. I was wondering, since there are no apple stores where I love, would I have to send my macbook to Apple to get it fixed, or can I send it to the Geek Squad repair place in Best Buy to get it fixed? Thanks.
Contact Apple Support via AppleCare by telephone, then they will send a "mailer" or a box to pack it up and have it picked up at your house or place of business. I don't trust the Geeks as far as I can throw them, and I would only want Apple tech people working on my MB. Do it now, since school doesn't start until August/September. (That's if you're in school) Good Luck.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:51 AM   #3
KompleX
macrumors regular

best buy will either refuse to take in your macbook because the one year warranty is thru apple, or they'll take it in and, most likely, send it off to apple for repairs. this is assuming that the macbook is still covered by the one year warranty, otherwise it really doesn't matter who you give it to.

if you bought a separate warranty thru best buy though, give it to them.
Power Macintosh Beige G3 1GHz, 768MB RAM, 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500
KompleX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 06:27 AM   #4
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Yep,^^^"Komplex" hit it on the nose. If you bought the BB extended warranty, you are in bed with them. AppleCare would have been the way to go. Question: Did you just notice the "clickking" of the touchpad recently?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:12 PM   #5
HyperZboy
macrumors 6502a

What about repairing a late model PowerPC Powermac G5?

Is there even an option at Apple or Best Buy to repair such a Mac?

Mine was power surged during the east coast hurricane but is in otherwise pristine condition. It won't even power on at all now.

I have other Macs including an Intel Mac, but I filed an insurance claim along with other damage to the house and intend to either get it fixed or replaced since it was in perfect working condition and has a ton of important files on it.

Other than repairing, the only option to salvage the files would be to transfer the SATA drives to another Mac Pro. I'd really hate to trash the whole thing though. Even the DVD SuperDrive works solidly and performance is surprisingly good for the age of the machine since it was one of the better G5s.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Oh, and no, obviously I don't have any warranty but my insurance company told me to get an estimate and they'll pay it out for repair or replace, whatever the cheapest option available.
HyperZboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 07:25 PM   #6
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperZboy View Post
What about repairing a late model PowerPC Powermac G5?

Is there even an option at Apple or Best Buy to repair such a Mac?

Mine was power surged during the east coast hurricane but is in otherwise pristine condition. It won't even power on at all now.

I have other Macs including an Intel Mac, but I filed an insurance claim along with other damage to the house and intend to either get it fixed or replaced since it was in perfect working condition and has a ton of important files on it.

Other than repairing, the only option to salvage the files would be to transfer the SATA drives to another Mac Pro. I'd really hate to trash the whole thing though. Even the DVD SuperDrive works solidly and performance is surprisingly good for the age of the machine since it was one of the better G5s.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Oh, and no, obviously I don't have any warranty but my insurance company told me to get an estimate and they'll pay it out for repair or replace, whatever the cheapest option available.
Instead of repairing your G5, I would just get a new macbook. Not trying to bash your powerbook.. but it's pretty old lol. And knowing that you no longer have AppleCare I think buying the new macbook would be a cheaper option. If you think about it... repairing it will probably be over $1000 because of labor costs and them actually repairing it, and there is a probability that you'll run into the same problem again. Just my 2 cents. =)

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook