Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cthomet

macrumors regular
Original poster
so i am considering buying a powerbook G4 on ebay. heres the stats:

1.67ghz powerpc G4.
2gb pc2-4200 ddr2 ram.
15.2" 1440x900 screen
ATI Radeon 9700
80gb HDD
8x DL Superdrive
built-in airport.
Illuminated keyboard.
1 firewire 400, 1 firewire 800, 2 usb ports.
5.6 Pounds.
Up to 5.5 hour battery

also comes with:

Mac OSX Leopard
Microsoft Office 2004
CS2
Incase 15" case
applecare until 12/09

Now my dilemma (try to keep it concise). I am going to buy a notebook for college which starts september 22nd. I was going to buy a macbook (dont necessarily need the pros capabilities--save some $) but I want to wait for the revision (I have read extensively about the possibility of redesign for montevina) but if the revision doesnt come until september/october i will need a notebook for college. i would sell it and buy the redesigned macbook.

should i buy this as a backup or just buy a current macbook? i mean this seems like a freakin sweet deal...help?

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
should i buy this as a backup or just buy a current macbook? i mean this seems like a freakin sweet deal...help?

Yeah, the price would help us answer that one. But without that info, I'd say go for the Macbook. I used to own that exact model of G4 Powerbook, and while it's certainly a sexy machine, its performance is NOWHERE near as good as the entry level Macbook.

Westsider 4 Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
On the West Side
Definitely need...

... your starting price on the PB. That being said, I would go for the newest technology in case you have to stretch the ownership out a bit longer than you first thought. That = current MB to me.:apple:

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
I would go with the MacBook unless the Powerbook goes for a very low price, taking into consideration your need for CS2 (do you get the discs and license for it?) and the value that adds to the Powerbook.

The PB would have to be an very good deal for me to opt for it instead of the MacBook. Don't get me wrong, I love the PBs, but at this point, I think the smart buy is the MacBook or MacBook Pro (depending on your needs).

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
the macbook is the clear winner here.

the PB was nice years back, and is still a good computer. but you want to maximize on what you purchase, and lets face it, the PB is OLD. Its warranty runs out in 2009, and after that, youre on your own.

I dont see buying a PB as being a good idea for any student @ this point.

Buy the macbook, enjoy the intel, maybe play with bootcamp... and best of all, get the most bang for your buck.

The PB is not it.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I definitely would dissuade you from tying yourself to increasingly antiquated hardware, e.g., the G4. Go for the MacBook.. or to be more precise..

Go for the MOST CURRENT computer you can afford.

Why? If you spend less to buy and already old computer now.. in 4 more years, that thing will be positively ancient and you'll be cursing how slow it is when you're trying to write your dissertation in "Office 2012".

cthomet

macrumors regular
Original poster
wow sorry...the PB was at 270 with several days left on the auction.

I really appreciate the replies and advice. thanks. i will probably end up waiting to see if the mb is updated or redesigned sometime this summer. if it is, super i will buy the new mb. if not i will just get the mb. thanks again

naid

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
I would expect that PB to go for at least $600, so you're probably better off buying a Macbook and keeping it for a couple years.

cthomet

macrumors regular
Original poster
I'd suggest a macbook, especially with all the talk of 10.6 dropping support for the Power PC architecture.
good thinking. i guess what drew me to the powerbook was design which brings me to my next point...
Or if you really liked the PB design, you could always go with an MBP refurb.
i have thought about the mbp refurb but it is still more expensive...would a refurb mbp have more punch than a new mb? i am assuming so on graphics heavy work but what about non graphic/gaming applications?

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
Well the GPU helps with the Core Animation side, so, for other stuff, shouldn't help too much. The MB might even be faster on those counts. But then again, for most stuff, it'd be typing, websurfing, mailing I guess, so it wouldn't really matter much? I'm not too sure though.

Jurwin

macrumors regular
ppc what a joke. Even the best powerbook G4 1.67ghz only gets about 900 on geekbench. Now even the oldest and slowest intel macbook (early 2006 model) gets a geekbench score of @ 2300 using the T2400 1.83ghz cpu. So the choice should be obvious. Don't be one of those ppc loser nutswingers on with their sinking ship. Go for the intel macbook :D

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I have a 12-inch Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ. The last one they made.

I love the thing.

However, it's just my notebook. I always have a fast intel iMac too.

The Powerbook can't even do much anymore. Email? Yes. Office? Slow, but yes. Web Browsing? (The only thing it does plenty fast enough) Yes.

Watch a H264 Movie? Yes, but use 80 percent CPU. ha-ha.

It's a fantastic computer and stunningly gorgeous, but a G4 just isn't powerful enough. It's amazing they were still using these chips as late as they did.

Someday I'll get a MacBook Air to replace my Powerbook, or at least replace it as a regular use. I want to keep it running as long as I can.

What should you do????

Get the MacBook. Yes, wait to see if they update by late August. I think they will. Good chance. It would be years and away faster than the Powerbook. You don't even want to know how much faster it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.