Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fsartono

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Hi all,

I just discovered that a some of my music files have duplicate files in the Finder.
Ie, an album folder would contain both track-name.mp3 and track-name1.mp3.
In every case, iTunes is pointing to the duplicate file: track-name1.mp3

a) What's the easiest way to remove all these duplicate files in the Finder?

b) Why did this happen in the first place?

Btw, I noticed that duplicate files appeared today when I replaced a track's artwork.
Could this be a possible cause?

Thanks for your help!

iTunes 7.6.2
Mac OSX 10.5.3

Attachments

• Duplicate MP3 Files.jpg
    Duplicate MP3 Files.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 975

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Hi all,

I just discovered that a some of my music files have duplicate files in the Finder.

b) The only time this has happened to me was when I was importing a CD using error correction, and my CD drive didn't like it. iTunes would keep attempting to import, creating the track names, but the music would not work. So I'm guessing it's a different scenario from yours.

a) I simply opened the offending album folders and highlighted the files and deleted them. If you have dozens of affected folders, then you might need to try something else.

Pynner

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
Find and Remove Duplicate MP3s in Finder

That wasn't helpful because it works through iTunes. I believe the question was about using FINDER. Dumping them into iTunes will only create yet another set of duplicates in the iTunes media folder.:eek:

I've found software that will find duplicate files fine, but that doesn't help me because slight differences such as cover art alter the difference in byte-to-byte comparison.:mad:

What is a good MP3 duplicate remover for mac?:confused:

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Hi all,

Btw, I noticed that duplicate files appeared today when I replaced a track's artwork.
Could this be a possible cause?

Thanks for your help!

iTunes 7.6.2
Mac OSX 10.5.3

In finder, just type "1.mp3" and they should all show up. Then, mass delete. You'll still have broken "pointers" to them in iTunes though. Fixing that will take a different approach.

Why did it happen? Not sure assuming you didn't import them twice. Perhaps someone messed with the Add to Library function?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.