Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone heard details about how to transfer settings from the old iPhone to the new 3G phone?

Whenever Apple replaced a broken iPhone, all I did was plug the phone into the computer and everything was restored like I never switched phones (pics, contacts, settings, video, etc).

Will it work the same way for the 3G phone? I hope so because I would hate to re-enter all of my e-mail pop account settings, screen icons and so on.

Thanks for the help.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
I'm 99% sure that this will be the case. Sync your existing iPhone one last time before setting up your new iPhone and you should be able to restore the backup that takes place during the sync to the new iPhone.

alexboy45

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
I'm 99% sure that this will be the case. Sync your existing iPhone one last time before setting up your new iPhone and you should be able to restore the backup that takes place during the sync to the new iPhone.

i was thinking the same. when i had my original iPhone replaced due to a fault i synced the iphone and it asked if i would like to start from scratch or restore from backup

s4play

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Awesome, this is exactly the info I was looking for - so the CONTACTS are stored in the iTunes computer you normally use? That's ingenius :)

Can anyone confirm this?

I'm about to sell my older iPhone on CL and when I get my new 3g unit, I was hoping I did not have to re-enter all my contacts....lol

R

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Awesome, this is exactly the info I was looking for - so the CONTACTS are stored in the iTunes computer you normally use? That's ingenius :)

Can anyone confirm this?

I'm about to sell my older iPhone on CL and when I get my new 3g unit, I was hoping I did not have to re-enter all my contacts....lol

R

no thats the beauty of an iPhone (any smart phone) u have all your data on your computer

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN

Actually they're stored in Address Book. iTunes is merely a gateway to sync them onto the iPhone. Same deal with the calendar...those events are stored in the iCal database, not iTunes itself. And photos, which are stored in the iPhoto or Aperture databases, not iTunes itself.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
iPhone database backups do include all settings, calendar items, contact items, SMS messages, camera roll photos, youtube bookmarks, stocks / maps / weather settings, notes, webclip icons, email account settings, wireless settings, bluetooth settings, etc. About the ONLY stuff that isn't stored in the backup that iTunes takes are music files, video files, and any photos that are not stored within the iPhones own camera roll.

jipod

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
Hi :)

I have a similar query, however, I have an ipod touch. This device is recognized as a different device by itunes. So would they make it possible to transfer those details onto the new iphone 3g. Or would I have to make up a free hour of my pressures time :)

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Actually they're stored in Address Book. iTunes is merely a gateway to sync them onto the iPhone. Same deal with the calendar...those events are stored in the iCal database, not iTunes itself. And photos, which are stored in the iPhoto or Aperture databases, not iTunes itself.

Well actually, I don't use any program to store my calendar settings or contact settings and when I restored my phone everythingg returned. iTunes holds all the information which PoitNarf listed above.

I was amazed when my iPhone had the same recent calls and texts still on it when I restored.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6

If you sent them via GMail they are in his GMail account. If he add his GMail account back to his new phone then the images will be available. If he deleted them from his GMail account they are probably gone then. It's a Gmail thing not really an iPhone only type of access.

borekk

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
Thats for the feedback its greatly aprreciated!

So since I sent them to his Gmail account its not really on his IPhone its an email account? ...so what would he have to save them to his IPhone for them then to be on his phone? I just really don't want this to be coming back around later down the road!...:confused:

Send me the pics and I will do some testing for you.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Thats for the feedback its greatly aprreciated!

So since I sent them to his Gmail account its not really on his IPhone its an email account? ...so what would he have to save them to his IPhone for them then to be on his phone? I just really don't want this to be coming back around later down the road!...:confused:

From any Smart phone that has the ability to read email all he has to do is set up his Gmail account and the images will always be available on the phone. If he deletes the email from the Gmail account they are gone. A phone has access email to read etc they are not dependent on the phone. The same email account are also available from most any PC or Mac.

Free23

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
His old IPhone got shattered...he just recently got a new one can he somehow transfer the pictures from his shattered IPhone to his new one ?:confused:

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
Good question, I was wondering the same thing about upgrading from an iPhone 3G to the iPhone 2009 (or whatever it is called).

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
His old IPhone got shattered...he just recently got a new one can he somehow transfer the pictures from his shattered IPhone to his new one ?:confused:

1. The pictures aren't on his phone, they are on Gmail.
2. There is no need to transfer them to his new phone, they will be there when he configures Mail to use Gmail.
3. Once he removes his Gmail account from his old phone, they will no longer be "on his phone."
4. It is poor forum etiquette to edit all of your posts and remove the content. No one will have any idea what you're talking about if you do that. The only reason I am able to do this is because I remember what your posts were.
5. If you're worried about someone blackmailing you over some naked pictures and videos, then:

a. Don't make naked pictures and videos of yourself.
b. Don't put them on the internet. Anywhere.
c. Don't send them to a device that anyone has access to.

Any questions?

Good question, I was wondering the same thing about upgrading from an iPhone 3G to the iPhone 2009 (or whatever it is called).

1. Backup with iTunes.
2. Restore new iPhone from backup.

Done.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Hi :)

I have a similar query, however, I have an ipod touch. This device is recognized as a different device by itunes. So would they make it possible to transfer those details onto the new iphone 3g. Or would I have to make up a free hour of my pressures time :)

When I sold my iPod touch and bought an iPhone last year, I was able to restore my iPhone from my iPod's backup file, so all the app locations, contacts, calendars, etc. were the same as they'd been.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.