Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I didn't hear anything about this in regards to firmware 2.0. Is Apple leaving this to the devs. or did I miss something?

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
There's already quite a number of discussions going on about this.

Search 'MMS' =P

Long story short, no MMS support at the moment. Could still come with 2.0, could come with an app. In the mean time, we have Swirly.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Outdated technology? Huh? Sending pictures in text messages is a basic feature that *every* cell phone should have. Mind you, I've owned an iPhone since Day 1 and I love it but this is almost unforgiveable.....

~Phi

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
chicago
I wonder when we're going to be told that SMS is outdated technology and that we should just start using email instead? :confused:

They should just enable MMS already as that stupid viewmymessage site is ridiculous.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
I wonder when we're going to be told that SMS is outdated technology and that we should just start using email instead? :confused:

I would love that. if someone wants to send me a message in a text format, they should just be able to use email. SMS Text messaging is antiquated.

LangleyAls

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Exactly. Especially considering I have to pay extra for texts on my phone plan but get unlimited data. Why not just use email?

erm because not everyone in the world has an iphone or portable device capable of email...
for those that don't it is nice to be able to communicate with people via text when on the go and out and about in the world...

gnortenjones

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
erm because not everyone in the world has an iphone or portable device capable of email...
for those that don't it is nice to be able to communicate with people via text when on the go and out and about in the world...

The neat thing about the iphone is that it has this incredible feature that allows you to project your voice in a manner that some have described "telephonic". Why, I've heard you can make "telephonic calls" nearly anywhere, even while on the go and out and about in the world!

Maybe it's because I'm old and cranky, but I never understood the fixation some people have with text messaging on cell phones.

LangleyAls

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
The neat thing about the iphone is that it has this incredible feature that allows you to project your voice in a manner that some have described "telephonic". Why, I've heard you can make "telephonic calls" nearly anywhere, even while on the go and out and about in the world!

Maybe it's because I'm old and cranky, but I never understood the fixation some people have with text messaging on cell phones.

its a matter of convenience, if you're in a meeting, in a noisy bar, at a concert, library even school and any other examples you can think of, calling someone is not the most convenient option. Its much simpler and to some extent shorter to just send an SMS.

rammy

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007

Erm, I take it you don't bother with e-mail as well then? :rolleyes:

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Exactly. Especially considering I have to pay extra for texts on my phone plan but get unlimited data. Why not just use email?

Because other countries have different phone plans that don't offer unlimited data so the cost of sms (which is often offered free) is more economical.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
you can send texts to email addresses

you can send emails to text addresses.

there's still no point to worry about mms or sms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.