Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 11, 2008, 02:28 PM   #1
wolfpackfan
macrumors 65816

How do I reactivate my iPhone?

Okay, as I posted in another thread, my iPhone currently has no service. I canceled the service back in January because I still had a year to go on my 4 line Sprint account. So basically since then I've been using my iPhone as a Touch and it's been working fine. My plan was to reactive my iPhone next January as part of moving all four lines from Sprint to AT&T. Based upon posts here though I got concerned that when I did that, I'd end up having to pay the $30 data plan rate.

So I thought I might try going ahead and reactivating now and seeing what rate plan I would get. I did a restore on my iPhone and when presented with the option in iTunes to setup the phone as a new iPhone or recover from backup, I chose to set it up as a new iPhone. Well it never said anything at all about creating a new account. It asked me what I wanted to sync, etc. and that was it. The funny thing is, in iTunes, it is showing my original iPhone phone number.

Did I do something wrong or are you no longer able to activate within iTunes? One thing - this phone has previously been jail broken (I didn't think I ever unlocked it though). But I was thinking a restore would erase all that. Any suggestions as to how I can go about reactivating my phone?
wolfpackfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 02:34 PM   #2
djransom
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpackfan View Post
Okay, as I posted in another thread, my iPhone currently has no service. I canceled the service back in January because I still had a year to go on my 4 line Sprint account. So basically since then I've been using my iPhone as a Touch and it's been working fine. My plan was to reactive my iPhone next January as part of moving all four lines from Sprint to AT&T. Based upon posts here though I got concerned that when I did that, I'd end up having to pay the $30 data plan rate.

So I thought I might try going ahead and reactivating now and seeing what rate plan I would get. I did a restore on my iPhone and when presented with the option in iTunes to setup the phone as a new iPhone or recover from backup, I chose to set it up as a new iPhone. Well it never said anything at all about creating a new account. It asked me what I wanted to sync, etc. and that was it.

Did I do something wrong or are you no longer able to activate within iTunes? One thing - this phone has previously been jail broken (I didn't think I ever unlocked it though). But I was thinking a restore would erase all that. Any suggestions as to how I can go about reactivating my phone?
I would give AT&T CS a call. I thought that iTunes would take you through the steps of establishing or in your case re-establishing service.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 08:00 PM   #3
wolfpackfan
macrumors 65816

I've been thinking about my problem some more. In iTunes, it is still showing my old phone number. This occurs even after I do a restore. Could this problem be related to the SIM? I don't know anything about SIM's. Once activated though, do you have to do something to them to reset them to use with a different phone number? Maybe that is why iTunes won't let me reactivate?
wolfpackfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone