Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westsider 4 Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
On the West Side
Psystar has shown that a clone tower can be produced. What is stopping a company from making a clone laptop that is capable of running OSX Leopard software in addition to Linux/Vista much like Apple has done? MacRumors members/friends, what are your thoughs and what combination of features would you use to build a retail worthy :apple: Clone laptop? I personally would start in the subnotebook area since Apple is currently not competing there. I would start with a decent LCD screen, swappable battery, wi-fi and blutooth connection with the fastest chip set available. I would be curious to hear your thoughts in this exercise. Please use currently available parts, OS, or known chip sets to build your :apple: laptop clone. :D

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Psystar has shown that a clone tower can be produced. What is stopping a company from making a clone laptop that is capable of running OSX Leopard software in addition to Linux/Vista much like Apple has done? MacRumors members/friends, what are your thoughs and what combination of features would you use to build a retail worthy :apple: Clone laptop? I personally would start in the subnotebook area since Apple is currently not competing there. I would start with a decent LCD screen, swappable battery, wi-fi and blutooth connection with the fastest chip set available. I would be curious to hear your thoughts in this exercise. Please use currently available parts, OS, or known chip sets to build your :apple: laptop clone. :D

Buddy it's called OSX86 Project.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Buddy it's called OSX86 Project.

yep :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I understand what your getting at, but a laptop is nothing like a desktop in terms of general enthusiastability (just made that one up).

A laptop , i would argue, takes a *real* company, with manufacturing and places to get the parts that would fit in the case + R & D to make that happen (although I know there is probably some type of barebones laptop, but is it cost effective?)

Sure, These guys could order massive quantities of Dell Laptops and debadging them, then loading them up with OSX86 (what would stop them from ripping someone else off).

But how would they support the hardware?

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
If anyone does that, I hope that apple sues their asses, and ruins them financially for life.

CLONES ARE ILLEGAL pystar needs to get that through their thick heads.

Don

Westsider 4 Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
On the West Side
so...

A little legal magic of hardware sold "as is"?

On another note, Cupertino's lawyers will fire up within a few seconds of a Macbook "clone" :rolleyes: (especially on the OS X part)

We all thought that :apple: lawyers would end the threat of Psystar and they are still in business w/out interference fron Apple. Who is to say a company will not decide to do the same in the laptop space? Apple is the only company that runs OSX, windows and Linux on their laptops. Sooner or later, some company will want to join in on this advantage like Psystar has done in the desktop arena.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If anyone does that, I hope that apple sues their asses, and ruins them financially for life.

CLONES ARE ILLEGAL pystar needs to get that through their thick heads.

Don

Actually clones are not illegal; just violates the EULA of OS X.

And legally, the EULA of OS X is a monopolistic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.