Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 11, 2008, 07:03 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

OmniFocus Task Management App for iPhone

iPhone Central took a brief look at Omni Group's iPhone version of their task management application, OmniFocus. OmniFocus won Best of Show at Macworld San Francisco 2008.
Quote:
We’ve built OmniFocus to take a load off your mind by managing your tasks the way that you want, freeing you to focus your attention on the things that matter to you most.
The iPhone version adds location support, which can prioritize tasks geographically:
Quote:
Using your location, OmniFocus can create a custom list of actions to complete nearby. Buying groceries? OmniFocus can show you the closest grocery store and create an instant shopping list.
More screenshots are provided at OmniGroup. The iPhone version allows you to enter tasks and sync with the Mac OS X version of Omni Focus. No pricing has been announced but they expect OmniFocus to be available in the iTunes App Store at launch.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 07:07 PM   #2
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

I have literally been waiting for this for so long now, ever since I first read on their blog about it way back when. It will make managing tasks that much better. I heart OmniFocus (thanks robbieduncan for first telling me about it)
xUKHCx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Peel
macrumors 6502

I like the idea of having location sensitive to do lists. I often find myself running across town to complete a task, and only after I get back home do I realize that there was a store just around the corner that I wanted to go to. Especially with the price of gas these days.
Peel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 08:00 PM   #4
mdwsta4
macrumors 6502a

funny, i was just thinking about this the other day:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=493365

so it will be released when the App store comes out?
mdwsta4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Telp
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Telp
This sounds like a great app. I hope its free.

I doubt it would be though. And theres no reason it should be free.

All the same, this app will do great on the iPhone. They put a lot of thought in there and i think it will be a success.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 08:10 PM   #6
bytethese
macrumors 68030

I SOOOO need this for my ADHD ass.

Please make it $19.99 or less!!
bytethese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:31 PM   #7
Zoboomafoo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telp View Post
This sounds like a great app. I hope its free.

I doubt it would be though. And theres no reason it should be free.
Yeah, aren't they still charging for a web browser? Omni is good at over charging, don't see why this would be any different.
Zoboomafoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:34 PM   #8
Telp
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoboomafoo View Post
Yeah, aren't they still charging for a web browser? Omni is good at over charging, don't see why this would be any different.
Eh, it's just wishful thinking.

OY!! $80. Is it worth that? I can see it easily being $30-45 for the iPhone, or atleast $20...
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:49 PM   #9
Gelfin
macrumors 68020

Perfect. Online auto-syncing and location-aware? That's, like exactly what I asked for, only better. I need a change of shorts now.

*impatiently marks days until T-Mobile contract expires*
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:08 PM   #10
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
now this seems like a nice app, though i'm afraid to see how much it'll cost
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:35 PM   #11
Telp
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodcc View Post
now this seems like a nice app, though i'm afraid to see how much it'll cost
My guess is that it will be one of the more expensive apps we see go on the App Store market. Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks...
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:59 PM   #12
BASE91
macrumors member

Looks like a great app. Agree with others about the price. We'll have to wait and see... I'll definitely be taking a look at this.

Now... can someone explain the logic why apple would not allow us to sync the built in "To Do List"? I know apple likes to "do" their own thing but isn't this on anyone's list to add?

Oh wait...they don't have a "TO DO LIST"
Old Jun 12, 2008, 01:32 AM   #13
billedluh
macrumors newbie

step futher

Location based to do is a great idea, but they need to now talk google into including the locations of items at the grocery store into their maps api and this app would be rocking. Think of it. I write down the things i need to get at the store, and not only does it tell me when i'm close to the store, but it geometrically calculates the fastest route through the supermarket. The epitome of efficiency and practicality.
billedluh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 02:37 AM   #14
citi
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to citi Send a message via MSN to citi
it would be nice if owners of omnifocus (like me) could get this at a drastically reduced price (like free). Seems like it's double dipping a little. Especially considering omnifocus already syncs to ical. Looks more like an add-on
Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:10 AM   #15
robbieduncan

Don't tell OmniGroup, but I'd probably pay the same again as the desktop client. Maybe even more as this will be more useful!
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 08:05 AM   #16
sir42
macrumors 6502

Will this sync over the air with the desktop version or will I need to do a USB sync through iTunes? Also, will it stay in sync with more than one computer (ie. office and home) and the iPhone, like mobileme?
sir42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 08:06 AM   #17
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir42 View Post
Will this sync over the air with the desktop version or will I need to do a USB sync through iTunes? Also, will it stay in sync with more than one computer (ie. office and home) and the iPhone, like mobileme?
OmniGroup have said it will sync over the air using a WebDAV server. Mobileme is a WebDAV server...
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 05:02 AM   #18
schizox
macrumors newbie

After reading all the posts here, I don't see why Omni would and should cheapen their application at all. It's obvious that you guys will end up shelling the cash at their high asking price anyway.
schizox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:59 PM   #19
mdwsta4
macrumors 6502a

i'm interested to see what apps will be costing once they start to come out. i honestly can't see myself spending more than $5 for any app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizox View Post
After reading all the posts here, I don't see why Omni would and should cheapen their application at all. It's obvious that you guys will end up shelling the cash at their high asking price anyway.
mdwsta4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:53 PM   #20
ayzee
macrumors 6502a

This looks great and ive heard others talking about this being the best task manager. At the moment im using the Notes app and its not great.
ayzee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 06:21 AM   #21
sir42
macrumors 6502

I'm using evernote right now, which is proving useful for outlining my thoughts and notes, but it's not perfect as a task manager. From what I've seen from OmniFocus, it's everything that I'm looking for in a task manager and I really hope they get the syncing right (ie. over the air, automatic) between the iPhone and multiple computers.
sir42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion