Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:48 PM   #1
mad cow disease
macrumors member

iBook G4 - Stuck DVD in Drive

My mom's iBook G4 14"/1.42 has a DVD stuck in the drive. Whenever any method is used to eject the dvd, an unpleasant series of grinding noises comes from the area where the drive is and naturally, the drive doesn't eject the DVD. Oddly enough, the DVD plays fine and the drive seems to read the DVD perfectly, so I believe the drive is functional.

I have googled around and found that this drive, brilliantly, appears to have no hardware eject mechanism.

I have three questions:

1.) Is it possible the bezel has shifted and something is physically obstructing the disc from coming out, or is the eject mechanism fubar?

2.) Since sending it out for repair is more $ than it's worth, is it worthwhile to disassemble the iBook on my own and see if I can eject the DVD manually? (I've assembled PCs in my own time from scratch) Assuming if I can get the iBook disassembled (the guide on iFixit is 14 pages or so!), how do I get the disc out without taking apart the drive?

3.) Assuming I am able to get the disc out, is there any way to test the iBook, still disassembled, without putting it all back together only to find out the drive is broken?

Any advice appreciated.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 03:18 AM   #2
siyeclover
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to siyeclover Send a message via AIM to siyeclover
Grasp your iBook and throw the DVD out.
siyeclover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 01:33 PM   #3
tuxtpenguin
macrumors regular

http://www.silvermac.com/2006/dvd-stuck-in-macbook-pro/

Check out this article. I know it is for a MBP, but it could still be relevant for an iBook.
tuxtpenguin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 03:49 PM   #4
mad cow disease
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxtpenguin View Post
http://www.silvermac.com/2006/dvd-stuck-in-macbook-pro/

Check out this article. I know it is for a MBP, but it could still be relevant for an iBook.
I thought I made this clear, but this isn't an issue of the CD getting stuck in the drive and the computer not recognizing that it is there, but more of an issue that the computer recognizes the presence of a DVD, actually PLAYS the DVD, but will not eject it. It makes some groaning/grinding noises.

Edit: On second look, this might do the trick. Thank you. I'll give it a shot.

Last edited by mad cow disease; Jun 12, 2008 at 03:55 PM.
mad cow disease is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:07 PM   #5
herrVebah
macrumors newbie

Tap that ...

I know this probably sounds totally ghetto, but try holding the computer at a 45 degree angle so that the slot is facing down and when it starts making the griding noise, tap the bottom of the computer under the superdrive, lightly at first and getting harder until the CD comes out as normal. I have to do this every time I want to get a disc out anymore
herrVebah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:10 PM   #6
NewMacbookPlz
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeclover View Post
Grasp your iBook and throw the DVD out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrVebah View Post
I know this probably sounds totally ghetto, but try holding the computer at a 45 degree angle so that the slot is facing down and when it starts making the griding noise, tap the bottom of the computer under the superdrive, lightly at first and getting harder until the CD comes out as normal. I have to do this every time I want to get a disc out anymore
Both of these are actually legit ways to get the disk out. If the disc isn't important you can also try a really thin pair of forceps/tweezers.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs