Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Hey friends,

So I just saved my Mac Mini from the brink of extinction by doing a clean install of Leopard. I had all my music on my iPhone, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. I upload all the music back onto the mac, which is fine, but I can't play any songs that I bought from iTunes! When I try to, it asks for my password, and then when I enter my password, I get this message (attached screenshot). This process keeps repeating, never playing the actual song - what can I do?!

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 77

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Obnoxious picture coming up in

20080612-dw3asya22ntkrp9nt8dkgbb7c2.jpg

Per this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1325?viewlocale=en_US

It seems to fit -- since you copied the files off and back onto your Mini, I think the issue may be related to botched permissions. Now I'm not sure that Disk Utility will fix it if your issue is that the song permissions are botched. In that case you might have to manually go in and do it yourself (you should be able to apply to all so that you can batch change the permissions on all of them).

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
It seems to fit -- since you copied the files off and back onto your Mini, I think the issue may be related to botched permissions. Now I'm not sure that Disk Utility will fix it if your issue is that the song permissions are botched. In that case you might have to manually go in and do it yourself (you should be able to apply to all so that you can batch change the permissions on all of them).

How do I "manually go in" and repair a song's permissions?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think you should have read/write/execute permissions for all the music files themselves (if you get info on one, it should say that you can read and write). Also they should belong to you. Try checking a protected/purchased song to see if this is true (find it in Finder and get info).

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
I think you should have read/write/execute permissions for all the music files themselves (if you get info on one, it should say that you can read and write). Also they should belong to you. Try checking a protected/purchased song to see if this is true (find it in Finder and get info).

the files say that I can read/write them. but I still can't play them, I tried using disk utility to repair permissions. I also tried deauthorizing and then re-authorizing the computer - no luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.