Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XFacta82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I just discovered my cd's were ripping at this setting. Should I change it to 256 or 320 to make it sound better or is this initial setting fine?

XFacta82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
So for an ipod it wouldnt make any difference? Or should I just up it to 320 and stop worrying about it?

echosmyron

macrumors member
May 14, 2006
IMO, ripping cds with 128kbps aac is fine. 128kbps mp3s sound like complete crap though. if you are using a big-sized home stereo, you should probably go with 192 aac. so for an ipod - no, 128 is fine.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
The size of your home stereo has nothing to do with it.

A 'good' home system, even something basic like a mid to top-range Sony system will easily show the differences between 128k and 192k.

I personally use 256k AAC as I can practically never tell the difference between this and lossless (identical to the original CD).

XFacta82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Would it be bad to put it at 320? That is the highest setting for mine

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Not bad at all, only that it will take up more room on the drive.

Use AAC not MP3, its a much more musically forgiving codec, if you have the space and a halfway decent hi-fi, use lossless.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I usually have it set to 160kbps AAC, 320 if it's something important. Video files infiltrated my iTunes library with all that giggage so I don't have room to record everything in 320kbps :eek:

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
The only draw back to high bit rate is file size. rip the same song a few different rates and if you hear the difference go with the higher quality. If not, then go with the lower rate so you can fit more songs on the ipod.

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
What's lossless?

Describes a file that still has all of the info that was in the original you ripped. MP3 & AAC are lossy compression formats. There are a few lossless formats, but for an ipod you need Apple Lossless. Checkout wikipedia for more info

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
What's lossless?

The Apple Lossless Codec.

Essentially MP3 and AAC are "lossy" codecs as they alter the waveform in the process of compressing the data stream, they use a system called Perceptual coding to try to measyre what you would hear in the mix, then they mask the stuff it's assumed that you can;t hear. It works to an extent, but alters the sound of the recording.

Lossless compresses the data size but is able to recreate the waveform almost identically so the track sounds the same as if coming off CD. the drawback with lossless is that the data savings are typically 50% at best, so the files are still very large when compared to a 128Kbps MP3.

All my audio is lossless encoded, but then I'm an audio professional and have very good ears, very clever headphones and a 160Gb ipod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.