Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSkier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Okay, I have been with AT&T for a few months now, and have 4 phones on the family plan. I have wanted an iPhone for a long time, but wanted to wait until the new one. I know the price dropped to $199, but I really want to understand why it's going to cost me more to "upgrade" to iPhone 3G. Even Steve Jobs said $199 would be the maximum price. The plans at $30 a month are outrageous!

Let me know,

P.S: I have unlimited messaging (Text) will it carry over to the iPhone?

thanks

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Okay, I have been with AT&T for a few months now, and have 4 phones on the family plan. I have wanted an iPhone for a long time, but wanted to wait until the new one. I know the price dropped to $199, but I really want to understand why it's going to cost me more. The plans at $30 a month are outrageous!

Let me know,

thanks

It's going to cost you more over the length of the contract, due to the data rate increase and text messaging charge, text messages are no longer included, $5 gets you 200, $15 gets you 1500 and $20 gets you unlimited texting...

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Your unlimited family texting will carry over.

The $30 data charge is not outrageous, and is actually cheaper than a lot of similar plans. I don't know of any that are cheaper than it.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
Okay, I have been with AT&T for a few months now, and have 4 phones on the family plan. I have wanted an iPhone for a long time, but wanted to wait until the new one. I know the price dropped to $199, but I really want to understand why it's going to cost me more to "upgrade" to iPhone 3G. Even Steve Jobs said $199 would be the maximum price. The plans at $30 a month are outrageous!

Let me know,

thanks

Things are still unclear but Steve's comment of not paying over 199 is already proven to be bogus since Vodafone in Italy is charging far more for uncommitted price.

$30 data plan is for all Smart phones including iPhones. We just had the privilege of paying $20 for the previous version.

iSkier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Oh I see thanks, how much do you think the iphone will be then, I have just a normal subsidized phone/

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I pay 19.99 for unlimited sidekick data, im, text, and email. :)

But obviously, theres a lot of downsides from this compared to the iPhone. However, Think about it, at $10 bucks more a month, after a 2 year contract, you're pretty much paying only a little bit more then the current EDGE phones.

$200 iPhone + $720 Data plan at $30 a month = $920 after 2 years (3G)
$400 iPhone + $480 Data plan at $20 a month = $880 after 2 years (Current EDGE)

Your Texting plan works. It'll just cost you $20? a month for it or something like that. Whatever AT&T has

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
so you are saying that the unlimited messaging plan I already have doesn't work with the iPhone?

If it's the Family Plan texting, yes, it should.. if it's something you're paying for on your individual line the price may be bumped up to reflect the $20.. not sure what the previous charges for unlimited texting were..

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Oh I see thanks, how much do you think the iphone will be then, I have just a normal subsidized phone/

Right now, it's 199 or 299...

Depending on what kind of phone you have now and how far into your contract you are, you'll hear a few different responses..

Some say, for non G1 IPhones subs, if you want to upgrade, there's an upgrade charge, some say they won't sell you the IPhone if you're not upgrade eligible, there's a bunch of conflicting reports.. I'd recommend calling AT&T and speak with someone...

CrazEtooN

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Hampton Roads, Virginia
$30 is not outrageous. Every other PDA/Smartphone and BlackBerry on At&t has a $30 data plan. I don't see why it's alright for them to be $30 a month, but outrageous for the iPhone to be the SAME...

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Yep,^^^I've got (3) iPhones & (1) BB, and the BB has a $30 monthly data plan fee, so the bump of the 3G will only come into play with one 3G iPhone, (at least until the others on my Family Plan see the new features). We are presently at 1400 shared minutes, unlimited Family text msg plan, yada, yada, yada...I just found out that I qualify for the "subsidized 3G iPhone" since my 2-year contract is up in 14 days! I didn't renew my contract when I purchased my iPhone, and I haven't had an upgrade since June 2006. If you're not certain about your eligibility, check with AT&T, b/c the rep said they would not be allowing customers to leave the store w/o registering/activating their iPhone at the Apple Store or AT&T Store via iTunes. There is also an activation fee at about $18. :eek:

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
$30 is not outrageous. Every other PDA/Smartphone and BlackBerry on At&t has a $30 data plan. I don't see why it's alright for them to be $30 a month, but outrageous for the iPhone to be the SAME...

Exactly! I believe the $20 plan was to get users on board so that the iPhone didn't flop. Now that it has been a success, they bring it back on par in terms of the other smartphone plans and drop the price of the hardware itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.