Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jun 13, 2008, 02:03 AM   #1
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816

Apps for iPod Nano

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I have no experience with iPods. I'm thinking of buying an 8GB new Nano. However, it is less for any music listening purposes and more as a very small pda - really all I want is a couple of apps: 1) a way to display .txt files, so I can use my laptop to load the Nano with txt files such as lists of items which I can then open and check when out and about and 2) a simple calculator - I don't know if this is possible, since inputting numbers may not be simple. Anyhow, I understand that Apple prolly doesn't have such apps, but are there any 3rd party apps that do that (authorized or not)? TIA!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 03:44 AM   #2
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

there aren't really any apps available for the iPod nano. Your first request is filled by the notes section, however.

There used to be a group of people actively working on linux for the iPod, but I think that pretty much died off a few generations ago.

It sounds like you require an iPod touch.

However if you want a PDA why not just buy a PDA? The iPod nano would make a horrible PDA.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 03:34 PM   #3
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluffjimmy View Post
there aren't really any apps available for the iPod nano. Your first request is filled by the notes section, however.

There used to be a group of people actively working on linux for the iPod, but I think that pretty much died off a few generations ago.
Too bad.

Quote:
It sounds like you require an iPod touch.
It's starting to look like that.

Quote:
However if you want a PDA why not just buy a PDA? The iPod nano would make a horrible PDA.
Size. I want small, small, small - so that I almost don't feel it in my pocket... I hate carrying stuff around. But I still would like to listen to a bit of music and have PDA capability as well - but in one SMALL package, instead of carrying huge bricks, or multiple devices. Ideally, I'd like to carry ONE TINY device that does all
Old Jun 13, 2008, 07:12 PM   #4
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
I'd like to carry ONE TINY device that does all
and an iPod nano does none of it...

anyway you should go to an apple store and feel the iPod touch or an iPhone. The iPod touch is unbelievably thin, I forget it's in my pocket all the time.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 07:41 PM   #5
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816

Thanks for the feedback! I'll go and have a look probably after the next update sometime Sept/Oct.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 09:56 PM   #6
mBurns
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I'll go and have a look probably after the next update sometime Sept/Oct.
Yeah, definitely check out the Touch. To be honest, you should be able to score a killer deal on a NIB iPod Touch from someone who purchased one with the Apple deal over the summer. I'd watch Craigslist. You're sure to find some poor College student looking to offload one to offset the cost of their machine! Happy hunting.
mBurns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:30 AM   #7
jezjosh
macrumors newbie

I just got this lil guy and it has captured my attention away from my equally new iphone 4. I like electronics, watches and music...so yep.....it rocks. It sucks it doesnt have any apps for it yet though. I believe both apple and the dev team will start producing apps in the future...the question is...when? I know the screen is small, but that shouldn't stop anyone. I mean I once had a watch (smaller than the nano) that could be used as a calculator, a phone book, a memory bank and so on. (yah im a geek aite). I think the ipod nano is capable of these things and more. A qwerty keyboard sounds impossible but a normal keypad might work. sure!.. it would back to the old way of entering text....but the fact is....its on your watch/ipod nano not your phone. This way, info such as phone numbers and account numbers could be easily recorded and with help of some password protection, kept safe. How cool would that be! What about a sbsettings for the thing (or something similar)
In an attempt to maintain battery life I constantly have to adjusting the brightness of the watch (sucks that it doesnt do that automatically) but what really sucks abt this is how far i have to go to access the things brightness.... it should be simpler. Imagine a flashlight app just like the early iphone flashlight apps. A compass app would also be useful. A general organizer app that allows you to put reminders and appointments sync'ed from your puter
jezjosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:07 PM   #8
bjett92
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjett92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mBurns View Post
Yeah, definitely check out the Touch. To be honest, you should be able to score a killer deal on a NIB iPod Touch from someone who purchased one with the Apple deal over the summer. I'd watch Craigslist. You're sure to find some poor College student looking to offload one to offset the cost of their machine! Happy hunting.
There was no iPod Touch deal this summer....
bjett92 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:53 PM   #9
LyleSTartaglia
macrumors newbie

Is really this ipad that much small and even not feels it's presence.
LyleSTartaglia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:10 PM   #10
cambookpro
macrumors 601

My theory as to why it's not been jailbroken/apps on it yet is because the user base isn't big enough. You have 220m iPhone/iPod Touch users compared to, what, 10-20m iPod nano users? Maybe less?

Who would you develop for?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:34 PM   #11
And1ss
macrumors 6502a

I think you are better off getting a iPod touch. Reading txt files on the nano's screen hurts my eyes imo.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:24 PM   #12
someone28624
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjett92 View Post
This was posted in '08.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:03 AM   #13
CHSeifert
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjett92 View Post
But there was in 2008, where he posted this reply.....Dohhhhh

Last edited by angelwatt; Jul 24, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
CHSeifert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 02:47 PM   #14
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
My theory as to why it's not been jailbroken/apps on it yet is because the user base isn't big enough. You have 220m iPhone/iPod Touch users compared to, what, 10-20m iPod nano users? Maybe less?

Who would you develop for?
And also that Apple has promoted developing for iOS (publishing of user interface guidelines, etc) but not nano.

PS I know the OP is from years ago.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:55 PM   #15
iCanDigThat
macrumors newbie

iPod Nano as a watch/iPhone compliment

now that the nano is being sold with an emphasis on it being a watch i'm significantly more interested in getting one. I'm not looking for it to replace my ipad or iphone but i'd love if it could integrate into my iVironment. Sadly, the nano doesn't seem to be equipped with onboard bluetooth or wifi so wirelessly connecting to another device or to iCloud seems out of the question without a separate dongle...which would add too much bulk for its use as a watch. Really, my nerd fantasy is to have a watch that would display the phone calls or text messages that are coming in on my iphone but the BT watches that are out there are definitely lackluster, incompatible with the iphone or both.

Anybody out there using a nano as a watch? If so, how's the battery life? Are you able to use it for anything else? What other functionality do you find yourself wanting from it that's missing? It feels like something Apple will eventually embrace themselves (iTime, the iPhone compliment) but, as usual, my idea is still years away from becoming a reality.
iCanDigThat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:05 AM   #16
godostoyke
macrumors newbie

Bluetooth for iPod Nano - 3rd party

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69IVybwXs4

also check out Amazon for iPod bluetooth adapters starting at 12 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetoo...ref=pd_sim_e_3

Godo - Airbook user, author, "The Carbon Buster's Home Energy Handbook"

----------

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/two-...d-nano-6g/9776

Now if I can only get that to work with a keyboard ...
godostoyke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 03:19 AM   #17
monoSpray
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanDigThat View Post
Anybody out there using a nano as a watch? If so, how's the battery life? Are you able to use it for anything else? What other functionality do you find yourself wanting from it that's missing? It feels like something Apple will eventually embrace themselves (iTime, the iPhone compliment) but, as usual, my idea is still years away from becoming a reality.
I'm using the nano as a watch with the HEX Vision Metal Watchband, besides that it look really great on the wrist, i can't really use it for much more then a clock and for docking it at home when listening to music...

What could be really cool was if it had bluetooth so i could play music "on the go" without the wire... but we have to wait for an upgrade for that. It would sure be nice if at had wifi asswell so you could use spotify and so on...

But for now, I'm really happy for my watch

----------

Quote:
Anybody out there using a nano as a watch? If so, how's the battery life?
2-3 days
monoSpray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 03:28 AM   #18
JUiCEJamie
macrumors 6502a

Why don't you get an iPhone?
A Phone. An internet communicator. And an iPod.

You'd get rid of a few devices that you've already got, and have them in one amazing device.

:P
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:30 PM   #19
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

If you don't like carrying around a lot of stuff buy a smart phone lol (iPhone perhaps)
kaielement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:41 PM   #20
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
now that the nano is being sold with an emphasis on it being a watch i'm significantly more interested in getting one. I'm not looking for it to replace my ipad or iphone but i'd love if it could integrate into my iVironment. Sadly, the nano doesn't seem to be equipped with onboard bluetooth or wifi so wirelessly connecting to another device or to iCloud seems out of the question without a separate dongle...which would add too much bulk for its use as a watch. Really, my nerd fantasy is to have a watch that would display the phone calls or text messages that are coming in on my iphone but the BT watches that are out there are definitely lackluster, incompatible with the iphone or both.

I do use mine as a watch and I can say I go weeks with it but manly because I am not using as an iPod and really use it to tell time it's more of a fashion accessory and conversation starter. As to the first part of your post you should check out the Motorola version just a thought (and you can wear it as a watch). It is a bit more pricy though.
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...MOTOACTV-US-EN
kaielement is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod