Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 13, 2008, 02:09 AM   #1
Elphaba
macrumors regular

Questions from AppleTV Newbie

Please excuse my ignorance - I'm an TV newbie

1- Will my appleTV be able to stream movies from my Mac if they are stored in an external hard drive?

2- If I purchase TV episodes/Movies on the AppleTV, will they be stored on my Mac or on the AppleTV hard drive?
Elphaba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 02:36 AM   #2
ab2650
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
Please excuse my ignorance - I'm an TV newbie

1- Will my appleTV be able to stream movies from my Mac if they are stored in an external hard drive?

2- If I purchase TV episodes/Movies on the AppleTV, will they be stored on my Mac or on the AppleTV hard drive?
1. The AppleTV will stream content played from iTunes on any synced computer. In short, if you've defined your iTunes library to run from an external hard drive it will stream to the AppleTV.

2. They will be stored on the AppleTV drive primarily, but when you open iTunes it will sync purchases.

However, you may be interested in hacking your AppleTV to play media files you manually copy to the internal hard drive. With ATVFiles (a commonly installed add-on to hacked AppleTVs) you can even access media files via the USB on the AppleTV, thus bypassing the need to stream from an iTunes library or filling up the internal hard drive.
ab2650 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 03:11 AM   #3
Elphaba
macrumors regular

Great, thanks for your help

ATVFiles sounds interesting.. If I do install this add-on, will I be able to uninstall it in the future if any problems come up?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 05:06 AM   #4
MikieMikie
macrumors 6502a

A few people are quick to encourage new owners to hack their Apple TV. While hacking has its benefits, I would encourage you to learn more about the device and its abilities (as well as its shortcomings) before modifying it.

Out of the box, the Apple TV has a lot of features. Get used to them before hacking it.
MikieMikie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 06:47 AM   #5
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Great, thanks for your help

ATVFiles sounds interesting.. If I do install this add-on, will I be able to uninstall it in the future if any problems come up?
Yes, you do a factory restore and that's it. None of the commonly used hacks voids the guarantee of your aTV or lmits you in any way.
tom1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 09:11 AM   #6
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikieMikie View Post

Out of the box, the Apple TV has a lot of features. Get used to them before hacking it.
This will take 1 hour, and then you notice - "sh*&%#!!@" , what do I do with all those avis, mpepgs etc. that I own already ?

=> help
tom1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Elphaba
macrumors regular

Ok I have another question.. I thought the apple TV would be able to stream content from my Mac to the TV. It is asking me to sync the content - do I have to sync in order to watch my iTunes content on the TV?

Or is it possible to just stream it without actually storing it on the Apple TV?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 07:10 PM   #8
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

You can stream without syncing.

The very first computer that your AppleTV connects to is setup to sync. In addition to syncing your content, you can still stream from that computer, too. (A lot of people with 40GB AppleTVs have way more than 40GB of stuff in their iTunes library).

You can also go into your iTunes library and click on the AppleTV (in the Devices area) and turn off all syncing.
aristobrat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 08:40 PM   #9
Elphaba
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
You can stream without syncing.

The very first computer that your AppleTV connects to is setup to sync. In addition to syncing your content, you can still stream from that computer, too. (A lot of people with 40GB AppleTVs have way more than 40GB of stuff in their iTunes library).

You can also go into your iTunes library and click on the AppleTV (in the Devices area) and turn off all syncing.
I turned off syncing, but I'm still not able to see my iTunes stuff on the AppleTV.

My music is there, and so are my videos, but the TV shows I have bought are not there. It says "There are no TV shows n your Apple TV. Set up a connection iTunes...etc" I'm already connected to iTunes though. My Podcasts and Photos are also not showing up.

EDIT: OK nvm, I figured it out. I had to deauthorize and then re-authorize my Mac.

Last edited by Elphaba; Jun 15, 2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 03:18 PM   #10
Elphaba
macrumors regular

Hm another problem has come up. I was watching a movie, it was being streamed from iTunes. Halfway along the movie my Mac fell asleep and it stopped playing the movie. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
Old Jun 15, 2008, 07:10 PM   #11
christall109
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hm another problem has come up. I was watching a movie, it was being streamed from iTunes. Halfway along the movie my Mac fell asleep and it stopped playing the movie. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
Just set your mac to go to sleep either after 3 hours or never. This would fix it in a jiffy. Even energy bothers you, just set your display to go to sleep after an hour or so.
christall109 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:01 PM   #12
jb60606
macrumors 6502a

Question.

I just brought home my first ATV from the Apple store. Is there a way to stream without copying the movies locally to the ATV?

I initially deselected syncing, only to watch ATV disappear from iTunes and the movie/music list disappear from ATV.

I paired ATV with my iTunes library again, and I'm able to stream movies, but it will still eventually copy them over.

It's only a 40GB drive, so I can't fit all my movies on it.

thanks

Last edited by jb60606; Jun 15, 2008 at 09:38 PM.
jb60606 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:47 PM   #13
Galley
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb60606 View Post
Question.

I just brought home my first ATV from the Apple store. Is there a way to stream without copying the movies locally to the ATV?

I initially deselected syncing, only to watch ATV disappear from iTunes and the movie/music list disappear from ATV.

I paired ATV with my iTunes library again, and I'm able to stream movies, but it will still eventually copy them over.

thanks
I believe it always sync the newest items first, meaning older content will be overwritten, and will have to be streamed.
Galley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 06:23 AM   #14
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb60606 View Post
Question.

thanks
If you set it up to sync automatically, it will copy what it can to the ATV (most recent first, I think), and stream the rest. This is completely transparent and works really well. I've got over 500GB of music and videos on my iTunes Library and they are all available on my 40GB Apple TV and 160GB Apple TV
Old Jun 16, 2008, 07:59 AM   #15
jb60606
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. View Post
If you set it up to sync automatically, it will copy what it can to the ATV (most recent first, I think), and stream the rest. This is completely transparent and works really well. I've got over 500GB of music and videos on my iTunes Library and they are all available on my 40GB Apple TV and 160GB Apple TV
Thanks Galley/Phil. Works like you said.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 08:04 AM   #16
Alrescha
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1971 View Post
This will take 1 hour, and then you notice - "sh*&%#!!@" , what do I do with all those avis, mpepgs etc. that I own already ?
My answer to that question was VisualHub. Heaven knows I was tired of dealing with a needless number of file formats and codecs.

A.
Alrescha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 06:51 PM   #17
touched1.1.0
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to touched1.1.0
hello all, I was wondering if there is any way to play the content from my iMac screen through my ATV.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater