Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:14 AM   #1
AnimalPaintball
macrumors regular

What information is stored on iPhones Sim Card?

Reason Im asking, is because I am thinking about getting the 3G and when I change sim cards, Im curious if it will switch over all my ringtones, contacts, pics, etc....

THnx
mondo
AnimalPaintball is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:16 AM   #2
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

SIM cards never hold much more than contacts, and on an iPhone I don't think this is even the case.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:17 AM   #3
sassenach74
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (PPC; 240x320; HTC_TyTN/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7))

Change the sim from what phone? Why are you changing sim?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:17 AM   #4
citron230
macrumors 6502a

good question.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:24 AM   #5
AnimalPaintball
macrumors regular

I think Im calling the card by the wrong name. For some reason SIM came into my head. Im talking about the card that you take out when you use the paper clip to open at the top of the iPhone.

Thnx and sorry
AnimalPaintball is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:28 AM   #6
wolfpackfan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalPaintball View Post
I think Im calling the card by the wrong name. For some reason SIM came into my head. Im talking about the card that you take out when you use the paper clip to open at the top of the iPhone.

Thnx and sorry
That's the SIM card.
wolfpackfan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:32 AM   #7
mdwsta4
macrumors 6502a

sim cards don't hold that kind of information. they mainly hold your carrier information (account/phone number/etc). the iphone's only holds that which i think is lame. every other GSM phone you can store your contacts on it (makes switching phones easier) and some (like SE) allow you to store sms/mms/email messages on it as well.

so no, your ringtones and whatnot won't transfer. but they're on your computer/itunes library so why would you need them to? you just transfer them onto the new phone when you sync it.
mdwsta4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:33 AM   #8
goosnarrggh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalPaintball View Post

Thnx and sorry
You have the right name.

The SIM card's primary purpose is to supply customer account information to the wireless network.

If you take the SIM card out of the iPhone and put it in any other phone, your price plan, telephone number, etc all travel with the SIM card into the other phone.

None of your multimedia (ringtones, pics, etc) are usually stored on your SIM card.

It is also possible to store a contact list (names, phone numbers, etc) on a SIM card, but I don't know if the iPhone uses that capability.
goosnarrggh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:01 PM   #9
MojoWill
macrumors 6502

SIM = Subscriber Identity Module

It identifies you to your network the local cell tower communicates wiht your phone and registers your IMEI and SIm and that is how calls come through every time you move into a new area your IMEI is logged by the provider.

No data is stored on the SIM on the iphone except the SIM serial number which is tied to a phone number by your service provider
MojoWill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 02:43 PM   #10
Siron
macrumors 6502

Also the SIM card can't hold much information. On my old Razr I couldn't store voice prompts. Even if the iPhone could I wouldn't think that you could put pics or ringtones on it.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 03:05 PM   #11
saDeRmac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoWill View Post
SIM = Subscriber Identity Module

It identifies you to your network the local cell tower communicates wiht your phone and registers your IMEI and SIm and that is how calls come through every time you move into a new area your IMEI is logged by the provider.

No data is stored on the SIM on the iphone except the SIM serial number which is tied to a phone number by your service provider
Right and the new iPhones will have a SIM built in again... Anyway... if you have previous version of the iPhone your numbers pics and other stuff is backed up in iTunes. They will be transfered when you plug your phone into iTunes the first time...
saDeRmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 03:37 PM   #12
mdwsta4
macrumors 6502a

that's because razr's couldnt do a lot of things. you can actually store about 64kb worth of information on a sim card (at least ATT/Cingular's 64k cards). that would normally entail your contacts, but you can also store messages like i mentioned above. you can't store ringtones, games, etc on it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siron View Post
Also the SIM card can't hold much information. On my old Razr I couldn't store voice prompts. Even if the iPhone could I wouldn't think that you could put pics or ringtones on it.
mdwsta4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone