Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:06 PM   #1
vjjjyoung
macrumors newbie

Recording College Lectures on MacBook

I would like to use my new MacBook to record college lectures. Any recommendations on how to do this. Quality doesn't have to be fabulous. So far the best I have come up with is a USB mic (any recommendations?) and record to QuickTime Pro. Is USB the best way to go rather than the sound input port? And will using the USB mic and QuickTime really drag down the battery? As you can tell, I am kind of floundering here - any help very much appreciated.
VJY
vjjjyoung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:15 PM   #2
MicahFreak82
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to MicahFreak82
When i record lectures i usually use microsoft word notebook. the notebook is a really easy to take notes for lectures and has a record feature built into it. i like to sit closer to the front of class and just use the internal mic. it works fine. the battery usually holds out about 2 hours of continual recording. it is probably longer than that i just never had to go that long. oh i forgot to mention that i have microsoft 04 so it may have changed since then. well hope that it helps
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:28 PM   #3
ckurowic
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ckurowic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahFreak82 View Post
When i record lectures i usually use microsoft word notebook. the notebook is a really easy to take notes for lectures and has a record feature built into it. i like to sit closer to the front of class and just use the internal mic. it works fine. the battery usually holds out about 2 hours of continual recording. it is probably longer than that i just never had to go that long. oh i forgot to mention that i have microsoft 04 so it may have changed since then. well hope that it helps
Use "BoomRecorder" (separate vendor) then convert the files to .mp3 using iTunes. .WAV is what Word uses and the files are HUGE. Mp3's are less than a quarter of the size. I'm a veteran at recording lectures, been doing it for 3 years using my iBook G4.
ckurowic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 01:13 PM   #4
AndyK
Contributor

I use Boom record, it's the best I've found and defiantly recommend converting the files to .mp3.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 01:59 PM   #5
nuffy12
macrumors newbie

Check this

I dont know how good it is but just remember seeing it: http://www.instructables.com/id/Per-...ght-Periscope/
nuffy12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 02:09 PM   #6
theLimit
macrumors 6502a

I use a MacMice MicFlex for all my recording needs. I haven't used it in classroom setting, but I have used it for a Digital Recording class.
theLimit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 02:47 PM   #7
MicahFreak82
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to MicahFreak82
i still stick by word because it pairs the audio with the lecture notes that you are taking. also it remembers exactly where you were typing at the time it was recording it. who cares if it is maybe 10mb's it is worth it.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:02 PM   #8
vjjjyoung
macrumors newbie

Thank you for the suggestions - will check them out. Nobody has used Quicktime?
Old Jun 14, 2008, 01:52 PM   #9
MOTU
macrumors newbie

I never saw te point in recording lectures. If you're planning on going to class anyway, why not just pay attention during class and not waste another hour or more listneing to the lecture again?
MOTU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 03:13 PM   #10
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjjyoung View Post
Thank you for the suggestions - will check them out. Nobody has used Quicktime?
Quicktime works fine for audio, probably no so much for video, depending on where you're sitting.

Also, make sure you ask the prof's permission. It's just common courtesy, plus you're recording proprietary information.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 05:16 PM   #11
CPD_1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTU View Post
I never saw te point in recording lectures. If you're planning on going to class anyway, why not just pay attention during class and not waste another hour or more listneing to the lecture again?
There are any number of reasons to do it. Some professors speak to quickly to take good notes. Sometimes, when you're paying $150+ per session of a class you want to get every last drop out of it. I record lectures so that I can use them as references further down the road. It makes it much easier to cite a professor on something if you have a recorded copy of the lecture you heard it in.
CPD_1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 11:40 AM   #12
vjjjyoung
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTU View Post
And some people are disabled and can use the extra help remembering.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:00 PM   #13
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjjyoung View Post
And some people are disabled and can use the extra help remembering.
Yup, take notes as best you can, and the recording of lectures, as a back-up. Been doing it this way for several years, also turn you iPod into a recorder and transfer it to your iPhone via iTunes and your MB. Lectures on the go! Also, depending on your college or university, you might have lectures available on podcast and webcast via iTunes and MB. Who goes to every class? (I think just the "dorks & nerds" at least that's what I've heard!) LOL
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:28 PM   #14
Gazeeb
macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to use audio notes in Word so that it transcribes what is being said by the professor? If not, is there a program that does this that works well?
Gazeeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 06:17 PM   #15
alphaod
macrumors Core

Just make sure you ask the professor for permission before you record.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 06:52 AM   #16
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

QuickTime Pro works well and records to rather small file sizes (AAC movies). The built in mic is pretty high quality, so if you're looking for an external mic make sure you're getting a good one or you might be downgrading.

Some schools I think will even record for you if you have a registered disability. You can also buy a digital recorder to then later transfer the files to your Mac, or if you have an iPod, you can get one of those reorder add ons.

Here is one I know of (can't give a personal review, but people seem to like it):

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-TuneTal.../dp/B000F9LRYO
swingerofbirch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 07:59 AM   #17
DangerMouse6
macrumors newbie

What about cutting the lecture up into say...4 tracks. So that if you want to listen to a particular sub topic on your iPod you don't have to go through the entire lecture. Do any of the above suggested programs allow this type of editing? When I say tracks I guess I mean 4 seperate song files.

Thanks
DangerMouse6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:36 AM   #18
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazeeb View Post
Does anyone know how to use audio notes in Word so that it transcribes what is being said by the professor? If not, is there a program that does this that works well?
speech-to-text programs need to be trained to specific voices. It would certainly be nice if it could do it,but it's not that dependable, especially with different voices. You can do your own voice, but still need to edit.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:51 AM   #19
jbellanca
macrumors 6502

I really like Circus Ponies' Notebook software. Great for notetaking, builds an index for you, and has a built-in voice recorder that ties the recordings to your notes in the right place. Just now looking for a good external mic to use too so I don't record all my key clicking.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook