Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 14, 2008, 04:14 AM   #1
strob1cj
macrumors newbie

What is the best way to store my movies for Apple TV?

I want to buy an Apple TV, but the harddrive space is just horrible. I was wondering if there is a solution to this problem because there is no way that I can fit all my movies on there. I own a Macbook pro and my budget is limited because I'm a student. Thanks.
strob1cj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 07:13 AM   #2
ibglowin
macrumors regular

Buy a large external hardrive

Rip the movies using handbrake and put the movies on the external hardrive and then stream your content from the laptop to ATV.
ibglowin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 07:43 AM   #3
trule
macrumors 6502

I copy mine to a Time Capsule hard disk and then drag from there to iTunes (where copy file to library is disabled). iTunes sync then copies from TC to ATV via my iMac

Everything works fine.
trule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 08:33 AM   #4
Tastannin
macrumors 6502

I have my Mac Mini hooked up to a big drive and thats where all my iTunes content lives. EyeTV records then sends content to iTunes, and when I turn on my Apple TV, I can see it there.

You might want to buy the largest external drive you can afford and hook that up to your MBP, stream the content off there to your Apple TV. $100 will get you a decent sized FW drive (250 gigs, or if you look hard enough, maybe 500 gig).
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Omnipotentsco
macrumors newbie

I think if you look at Best Buy you can find a MyBook 1TB External for like $200.
Omnipotentsco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:49 PM   #6
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Instead of streaming, you could also hook your external drive directly to yout atv (after patching) and access your files from there without having to go through iTunes.
That is how I do it and it works great.
tom1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 05:58 PM   #7
marklight
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1971 View Post
Instead of streaming, you could also hook your external drive directly to yout atv (after patching) and access your files from there without having to go through iTunes.
That is how I do it and it works great.
hey tom can you send me some info on how to do this? also I've sent you pm asking you for some other info. i've been trying to figure out a way to hook up an external directly to the apple tv.
marklight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:59 PM   #8
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastannin View Post
I have my Mac Mini hooked up to a big drive and thats where all my iTunes content lives. EyeTV records then sends content to iTunes, and when I turn on my Apple TV, I can see it there.

You might want to buy the largest external drive you can afford and hook that up to your MBP, stream the content off there to your Apple TV. $100 will get you a decent sized FW drive (250 gigs, or if you look hard enough, maybe 500 gig).
I just bought a WD My Book at $200 for a terabyte. I think the "older" models are dropping down because they're "rebranding." Whatever. It's a terabyte, runs at 7200rpm, has the buffer. Works good so far.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater