Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I can't put my finger on it, but it seems to me that there is minimal "buzz" about the iPhone 3G. Sure, there are posts all over fan forums, but the "real" world isn't talking about the iPhone 3G at all.

Apple stores have no advertising up... AT&T seems to almost be begrudgingly selling the iPhone- it used to be plastered all over their website, but now you have to try hard to find any info on iPhone....

Apple seems to have "phoned" this one in, no pun intended.--

Also, dropping the phone to $199 but charging $2000 for the plan, over the 2 year contract (for only 450 minutes) isn't going to boost sales with a weak economy and $4.50/gallon gas.

Anyone else think that there aren't going to be the lines everyone is expecting when iPhone is released?

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Im not to sure. I know im not going to wait in a line for it. I'll go to the Apple store on my way home from work, if there is a huge line, im coming back later.

ICTUS TACTUS

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
I'm planning on the lines being shorter than the initial release.

I can't stand how people complain about the price though. Analogy:

When people buy cars, no one factors in the price of gas, insurance, registration, licensing fees, and maintenance into the price tag.

How is an iPhone any different? You're paying for a service, not an entitlement.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I think so too. The only thing that might make things a little slower is the in-store activation, but there aren't going to be mile long lines for the phone.

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
I'm kinda hoping it will be like the macbook air release. Not too many people were quite obsessed with that. I'm sure it will be a little more wide known but I hope it's pretty quiet.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I think things will be just as crazy as the 1st iPhone. Wait until we are closer and everyone will be talking about it.

phinnaeus

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA

When people buy cars, no one factors in the price of gas, insurance, registration, licensing fees, and maintenance into the price tag.

How is an iPhone any different? You're paying for a service, not an entitlement.

I factored in the cost of gas when I got my Prius.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Oh there is buzz about it on Long Island and NYC. Almost everywhere I went I heard people talking about it (work, school) and everyone said that they want one. I have a feeling though, that the lines won't be as long. But then there is a part of me that says they will be long.

doodads

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
East BF, TN

Really?? Ask the car dealers with all the SUVs sitting on their lots. Ask the Toyota dealers with very few Pirus's sitting on their lots.

Bill P.

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Oh there is buzz about it on Long Island and NYC. Almost everywhere I went I heard people talking about it (work, school) and everyone said that they want one. I have a feeling though, that the lines won't be as long. But then there is a part of me that says they will be long.

What I think will make the wait just as long, if not longer, will be the need to activate in the store. Buyers will have questions that will need to be resolved and others, like me, will be giving the old iPhone to someone else and they will have questions about transferring the service, sims, etc... It'll be a real bottleneck, IMHO.

BP

chrisparr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
Anyone else think that there aren't going to be the lines everyone is expecting when iPhone is released?

When you take a step back an look at the new iPhone, the ONLY new things are 3G and GPS. All the rest of the new stuff will be available to existing iPhone customers when they upgrade the OS.

I've said this in other threads so apologies for repeating myself, but IMHO the new iPhone is all about getting a slice of the business user market.

They have thrown in the app store for the non business users, but at the end of the day it will have a few games and RSS readers, plus about a gazillion to-do list applications and "Count down to (insert name of blockbuster film or big console game release here)" applications. That's what the cynic in me thinks.

Just my 2p worth.

SSpectre

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
I think we'll see some lines, but the lines for the original iPhone weren't extremely long from what I saw at the Galleria in Houston.

When AT&T clears up their policies, I think it will make a difference on what kind of lines we see.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I factored in the cost of gas when I got my Prius.

No you didn't, you bought it based on a bullet point. Otherwise you would have realized that the extra cost of the car over similar (but not hybrid) cars would mean the money saved on gas wouldn't make up for the extra car cost until you'd been driving it for like 8 years.

People consider "this car gets better gas mileage" but they never estimate how much the gas will actually cost them and how it really affects the overall cost of the car. And cell-phone owners are worse, they rarely consider the cost of plans, they just get a phone they like and either a provider they are used-to or the one required for the phone.

In any case, the iPhone 3G service plan isn't really more expensive than others, it's just more expensive than the old iPhone (but more in line with AT&T's normal costs). And the majority of iPhone 3G buyers will be brand new owners, so won't have that fake-thought of being ripped off.

Ctt9492

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
Yeah, I don't think its gonna be a very big deal either
I mean usually when apple comes out with a new product
they go all out with revisions

Now on the new iPhone the upgrade is basically 3G and GPS
everything else the old iPhone will have, which kinda hints that theres something else apple is hiding from us.

So pretty much upgrading the new iPhone is pointles. In a way....

I mean at least apple could have made some revisions on the OS that the iPhone 3G would only have, even new icon looks or even just little things
but there wasnt much so its kinda disappointing.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I dont think that the lines will be long at all. The first time around, this phone was an entirely new concept, plus there was 6 months time to build the hype.

Now everyone knows exactly what the iphone is all about- it will attract new users because of the cheaper price and then some current customers but not as many as I would have thought b/c the aren't as many new features as many of us thought there would be.

Dr Lu 2010

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008

well said..totally agree...:D

drchipinski

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Why would there be long lines?

-3G is very scattered (coverage) and looks to be not fully ready for the mass market

-Phone has been downgraded (plastic)

-Service plans went up in price, where the first iphone actually had a less expensive plan

-Average customer dropped $400 within the past 12 months on the 1st gen Iphone, why would they want to do that again? For GPS? Really.

I was dead set on getting one until the announcement....plastic casing, raised service costs, poor 3G coverage....I think I will be sitting this one out.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Not sure if there will be lines but if there are I certainly won't be in them.
I'm happy with my present iPhone and the $20 data plan :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.