Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:26 PM   #1
K-Funk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Why do so many movies/TV shows use Macs?

Relative to Apple's market share, it is unbelievable how often the characters in movies and TV shows use Macs, as opposed to PCs. Does Apple pay lots of money to the studios as part of its advertising budget, or do producers just like Macs?
K-Funk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:27 PM   #2
techlover828
macrumors 68020
 
techlover828's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
yes I've always wondered if companies payed money to have their products in movies/tv shows.
techlover828 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:29 PM   #3
davidwarren
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlover828 View Post
yes I've always wondered if companies payed money to have their products in movies/tv shows.
they do.
davidwarren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:52 PM   #4
AceWilfong
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Francisco
I think it's an artistic choice that speaks to the peronal style of the character.
(Why the hero usually rides a white horse.)
__________________
iMac21.5 3.06 Ghz, 4GB, 500 GB HD, 4 GB iPod Nano
AceWilfong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:57 PM   #5
mwchris
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kentucky
Whats available

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
they do.

While companies generally pay to have their product advertised in a movie/show/etc. Sometimes I am sure you have noticed that it is an apple product, but the logo is covered up. (I see this often)

I think most of the time if no particular brand has chosen to sponsor a show or whatnot then they just use what is available, and in many cases, or so it seems, apple products are what is on hand and in use by the production company. Therefore they get used in a scene.
__________________
Vēnī, vīdī, vīcī
First was green, second was tan, third was white, and fourth is silver.
mwchris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 01:00 PM   #6
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Funk View Post
Relative to Apple's market share, it is unbelievable how often the characters in movies and TV shows use Macs, as opposed to PCs. Does Apple pay lots of money to the studios as part of its advertising budget, or do producers just like Macs?
i don't know if its Apple paying for the placement, or if its just what is on hand, or if its a style choice since they are often seen as 'cleaner' setups. /shrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlover828 View Post
yes I've always wondered if companies payed money to have their products in movies/tv shows.
they do, its called product placement. don't know how often apple uses this though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwchris View Post
While companies generally pay to have their product advertised in a movie/show/etc. Sometimes I am sure you have noticed that it is an apple product, but the logo is covered up. (I see this often)

I think most of the time if no particular brand has chosen to sponsor a show or whatnot then they just use what is available, and in many cases, or so it seems, apple products are what is on hand and in use by the production company. Therefore they get used in a scene.
yes some shows do this because they want the marketing dollars. some don't care.
__________________
dim my eyes on the waves of confessions...
PlaceofDis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 01:17 PM   #7
iMpathetic
macrumors 68030
 
iMpathetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: IMBY
Send a message via AIM to iMpathetic
Also, many, if not most, people in video use Macs, so they may lend their own personal machines to the shoot.

Macs are also more "stylish" to the general public. On some TV shows, they paint over the Apple logo and use them.
__________________
13" Air 1.8GHz i5/4GB RAM/256GB/HD 4000/10.7.4 ; Alienware M17 T9300@ 2.5GHz/4GB/160GB/Mobility HD3870/Win 7
Samsung Galaxy Nexus rooted/Android 4.0.4
iMpathetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 01:29 PM   #8
jemeinc
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: South Jersey
if you can see the logo, they pay.. Apple's been way ahead of the competition with this type of advertising for years now- but every company is starting to see the value of this now.. No-one watches commercials anymore (other than the Super Bowl and select events), so it makes a ton of sense to devote a portion of your advertising budget to product placement..
jemeinc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 01:32 PM   #9
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMpathetic View Post
... so they may lend their own personal machines to the shoot.

...
Fox News uses Macs on its working news set. Clearly some entertainment shows have Macs as product placements. In the case of free placement, Macs are used because the people doing the show like them.

However, the notion that the writers would lend their computers to the set designer to be used as props is absurd. The computer is a tool of the writer's trade. He or she can't stop working while the cinematographer is filming a show. In fact, they have to do rewrites while the show is being filmed.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 02:15 PM   #10
macfan881
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Send a message via AIM to macfan881
also alot of people in the film industry use macs to i know quite a few top shows use Final Cut pro etc like 24 and i belive one if not all 3 of the xmen movies use it as well.
macfan881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 02:32 PM   #11
iMpathetic
macrumors 68030
 
iMpathetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: IMBY
Send a message via AIM to iMpathetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
Fox News uses Macs on its working news set. Clearly some entertainment shows have Macs as product placements. In the case of free placement, Macs are used because the people doing the show like them.

However, the notion that the writers would lend their computers to the set designer to be used as props is absurd. The computer is a tool of the writer's trade. He or she can't stop working while the cinematographer is filming a show. In fact, they have to do rewrites while the show is being filmed.
Pardon my possible stupidity, but couldn't they use it for like a minute and a half?
__________________
13" Air 1.8GHz i5/4GB RAM/256GB/HD 4000/10.7.4 ; Alienware M17 T9300@ 2.5GHz/4GB/160GB/Mobility HD3870/Win 7
Samsung Galaxy Nexus rooted/Android 4.0.4
iMpathetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 05:29 PM   #12
sweetice2007
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
same for likes of nokia and sony with their mobile phones and other gadgets in the bigger movies
__________________
I am not an apple fanboy.
sweetice2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 08:53 PM   #13
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMpathetic View Post
Pardon my possible stupidity, but couldn't they use it for like a minute and a half?
Are you serious? Your "minute and a half" may require multiple takes done over several hours, days, months, or even years. There is the issue of continuity, which means that every prop in a scene should look exactly the same today as it does in a retake two months from today.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:47 PM   #14
kabunaru
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Funk View Post
Relative to Apple's market share, it is unbelievable how often the characters in movies and TV shows use Macs, as opposed to PCs. Does Apple pay lots of money to the studios as part of its advertising budget, or do producers just like Macs?
I guess Apple does pay the studies and in my opinion, in a movie/tv show, using a Mac looks better than a PC. Mac is more elegant than a PC in my opinion. So they use Macs to make show/movie "look better". That's just my opinion...
kabunaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 03:29 AM   #15
mattrobs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
It's also used to convey class. The rich guys have the Macs; the guy working in the basement has the Dell.
mattrobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:50 AM   #16
ichii
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Have you played MGS4?
__________________
MacBook Pro
iPad 2 16gb
OnePlus One
ichii is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where do you get your movies and TV shows? Frankied22 Apple TV and Home Theater 158 Mar 21, 2014 09:30 AM
Cant Search TV Shows or Movies AlanBoatman Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Dec 9, 2012 10:23 PM
App that shows when iTunes movies/tv shows drop in price? safetyobc iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Dec 7, 2012 10:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC