Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:36 PM   #1
wolnutz
macrumors newbie

Powerbook G4 15 inch screen problem.

Hey, folks! I've had a Powebook G4 for a few years now, and it's been treating me well. I'm going to get a new laptop when they hopefully redesign in the fall, but right now, it works well enough. However, lately, I notice that if I move the screen, the lower half (probably a good 4 inches) will freeze/turn white/fragment into bars and will stay like that until I move the screen into a different position, and the lower part returns to normal. It's not a terrible problem, just annoying to have to re-adjust it everytime I open the laptop. Does anyone know what this is called, or if there's a way to refresh the screen, or something along those lines? I tried the calibrating route, but nothing seemed to fix it (just turned the box different colors.)
wolnutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 06:32 PM   #2
honeycrisp
macrumors regular

Very weird - never heard of something like that. There must be something wrong with the connection between the display and the rest of the computer? Just a guess, but definitely over my head.
honeycrisp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 08:44 PM   #3
sean156s
macrumors newbie

i think i have the same problem w/ my powerbook G4. i have a 15 inch 1.5ghz from june 2004.

the problem that wolnutz described seems evident in mine, except my screen is worse off. i initially saw the problem last summer, conveniently right after my applecare expired. initially, the bottom third of the screen would blank/white out when the LCD was in certain positions. when I readjusted the screen the problem went away. but as time went on, the problem got worse, and more and more of the screen would blank out and readjusting the angle of the display would do less and less.

currently, i only have the top third of the display working, with the bottom third completely blanked out. the only way to see the full display is to use my index finger and thumb to put pressure on the left side of the screen. doing so immediately fixes the problem, but of course, it is frustrating to lose one hand to do this. i am pretty certain that the problem is in the display connection, because I hook up my powerbook to an external monitor and everything looks fine.

i was told that the problem could be easily fixed by readjusting the display connection inside the laptop, but i didn't find the time/right person to do it (i don't want to take it apart myself).

hope that helps, at least you're not alone, haha. but you should get it fixed before it gets worse.
sean156s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Mason
macrumors regular

I have a Ti G4 and years ago they were replacing the screens for free because of a defect. Even though my applecare had expired, there was no charge for the new screen. I have no idea whether this replacement plan is still in effect, but it might be worth looking up.
Mason is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 09:35 PM   #5
sean156s
macrumors newbie

hey mason, thanks for the info. do you remember how long it took them to replace the screen? did you have to send the PB out for a long time?
sean156s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Mason
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean156s View Post
hey mason, thanks for the info. do you remember how long it took them to replace the screen? did you have to send the PB out for a long time?
I think it was gone 4-5 days.

The info, though not official, can be found here: http://www.acmetech.com/extras/apple...g4_recall.html

I don't know of the plan is still in effect.
Mason is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs