Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhollister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Is push email only going to be available with MobileMe/Exchange, or will the new iPhone or 2.0 software support normal push-IMAP standards?

rioja

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
The current iPhone works with any IMAP now. I'm using it with Gmail.

It's not real push email, but it serves by purposes just fine.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
The current iPhone works with any IMAP now. I'm using it with Gmail.

It's not real push email, but it serves by purposes just fine.

Not true. Yahoo supports push e-mail to iphone.

Gmail does not however, which btw blows big time. I have my hopes for Google to get that push is vital :mad:

rioja

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008

Gmail does not however, which btw blows big time. I have my hopes for Google to get that push is vital :mad:

I never said, Gmail supports push, I said it's IMAP. I'm getting my Gmail almost instantly, the difference between my BB is 30 seconds at most.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Unless there are rules prohibiting mail apps, I suspect there might be 3rd party mail apps, and third party apps will eventually be able to use push to the phone, so i is certainly possible down the road.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

rioja said:

I never said, Gmail supports push, I said it's IMAP. I'm getting my Gmail almost instantly, the difference between my BB is 30 seconds at most.

That's because both phones pull Gmail. Google only offers push Gmail on one particular phone st the moment ( I think), and that phone us not a BlackBerry or iPhone. So an iPhone will only check every 15 minutes and a BB will check at whatever interval you specify. IMAP does not necessarily mean it pushes.

rioja

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

That's because both phones pull Gmail. Google only offers push Gmail on one particular phone st the moment ( I think), and that phone us not a BlackBerry or iPhone. So an iPhone will only check every 15 minutes and a BB will check at whatever interval you specify. IMAP does not necessarily mean it pushes.

The interval can be changed on a jailbroken iPhone too. Mine is set at 1 minute. http://blogs.computerworld.com/push_email_on_the_iphone_howto

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
Sorry, misread it.

As said before Gmail touts its "Push" feature, when its actually Pull. Bad Google, Bad.

rioja

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
How's battery life with 1 minute checking? I was thinking about doing this, but I don't want to have to recharge every day (or multiple times a day).

The battery definitely takes a hit :( i have to recharge every night (to be safe for the next day). If I let it go without recharging, I can get almost 2 days max. That's with light use of other wifi (weather, safari, stocks). And not playing any music.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
So an iPhone will only check every 15 minutes and a BB will check at whatever interval you specify.

Blackberry's pushes all email... whether it is yahoo, gmail, your personal email, whatever. It pushes everything as long as you set it up with your blackberry account

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Blackberry does not use IMAP, it uses its own thing.

.MAC mail to the current iPhone is IMAP and would imagine the new mail service would be also.

CrazEtooN

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Hampton Roads, Virginia
Ok, the actual way a BlackBerry works...

For non-RIM-registered email servers:

When you get a BB and sign up for a data plan, your device is linked to the carriers BlackBerry Internet Service, which connects you to the RIM NOC (network operations center). The NOC acts as a middleman between your mail account and your device, and it polls for mail in regular 15 minute intervals. This can't be changed by you. When it finds new mail, it will pull it from the server, strip out all HTML and rich text, and then it will push it to your device. It will recheck the server a few times after it first finds mail, only in shorter intervals. If it does not find anything, it goes back to 15 minute intervals.

For email servers registered with RIM (including GMail, Yahoo, and AOL):

The NOC keeps the connection with the server open at all times. The moment a new message is received by the server, it is instantly pulled off the server by the NOC, stripped, and pushed to your device. The push is completely independent of the mail server, and has nothing to do with whether or not the mail server offers push services. The NOC server acts like ActiveSync, only it does it off the device which is why BlackBerrys can enjoy push email while maintaining good battery life.

There are some mail services, like Yahoo, that offer their own form of push mail. This is not the same as what RIM offers to their BlackBerry users by any stretch of the imagination. GMail is also working on their own push services, but the only carrier/device able to utilize it as of right now is Helio.

Maestro88

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
Blackberry's pushes all email... whether it is yahoo, gmail, your personal email, whatever. It pushes everything as long as you set it up with your blackberry account

ha ha - yeah, except blackberry blows.... ha ha :D

Kupe

macrumors member
May 25, 2008
Blackberry does not use IMAP, it uses its own thing.

.MAC mail to the current iPhone is IMAP and would imagine the new mail service would be also.
Based on the demo during the WWDC Keynote, MobileMe will likely be and Exchange Server-based system. You can also find hosted exchange servers on the web (just search on hosted exchange server) - many of them are free - so private (non-corporate) push email/contacts/calendars will have lots of options.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
Ok, the actual way a BlackBerry works...

For non-RIM-registered email servers:

When you get a BB and sign up for a data plan, your device is linked to the carriers BlackBerry Internet Service, which connects you to the RIM NOC (network operations center). The NOC acts as a middleman between your mail account and your device, and it polls for mail in regular 15 minute intervals. This can't be changed by you. When it finds new mail, it will pull it from the server, strip out all HTML and rich text, and then it will push it to your device. It will recheck the server a few times after it first finds mail, only in shorter intervals. If it does not find anything, it goes back to 15 minute intervals.

For email servers registered with RIM (including GMail, Yahoo, and AOL):

The NOC keeps the connection with the server open at all times. The moment a new message is received by the server, it is instantly pulled off the server by the NOC, stripped, and pushed to your device. The push is completely independent of the mail server, and has nothing to do with whether or not the mail server offers push services. The NOC server acts like ActiveSync, only it does it off the device which is why BlackBerrys can enjoy push email while maintaining good battery life.

There are some mail services, like Yahoo, that offer their own form of push mail. This is not the same as what RIM offers to their BlackBerry users by any stretch of the imagination. GMail is also working on their own push services, but the only carrier/device able to utilize it as of right now is Helio.
Yeah, well it still isnt real push.

Googs seriously needs to upgrade their mail service, push is vital.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I'd pay like 25 bucks a year to Google for Google push mail. Also I wish they would let us use our Gmail space for more than just email storage. I have 7 GB's of Email storage, why can't I use some of that to backup things.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
I'd pay like 25 bucks a year to Google for Google push mail. Also I wish they would let us use our Gmail space for more than just email storage. I have 7 GB's of Email storage, why can't I use some of that to backup things.
If Google introduce a Push feature for its e-mail it will likely be free, since the whole gmail thing is free.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I keep seeing threads regarding mobileme push email.

Am I the only one here that thinks the iphone needs other major improvements first before something like this becomes a genuine feature?

Lets me explain my stance. For one, the email ringer is way too soft. I can never hear it unless I'm at work (which is rather quiet around me) and the phone is on my desk. Hell, most times I can't hear any of the notification sounds and sometimes, depending on conditions, I won't hear the phone ringing either. For example. I have the phone sitting in the cupholder of my car. In those situations I won't even hear it ringing if I have the radio on.

Next, apple gives us a notification of missed calls, texts and voicemail without requiring us to unlock the phone. I've gotten in the habit of pulling out the phone every 10 minutes or so and clicking the home button just to see if I missed any new texts. Email notification is no where to be found unless you unlock the phone and go the home screen.

Seems to me that push notification would be completely useless as I often have email waiting to be read, sometimes for a good length of time before I notice it.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden

Am I the only one here that thinks the iphone needs other major improvements first before something like this becomes a genuine feature?

Lets me explain my stance. For one, the email ringer is way too soft. I can never hear it unless I'm at work (which is rather quiet around me) and the phone is on my desk. Hell, most times I can't hear any of the notification sounds and sometimes, depending on conditions, I won't hear the phone ringing either. For example. I have the phone sitting in the cupholder of my car. In those situations I won't even hear it ringing if I have the radio on.
What I can remember it has been confirmed that the new iphone has got better speakers, so that would make notifications and ringers sound louder.
Next, apple gives us a notification of missed calls, texts and voicemail without requiring us to unlock the phone. I've gotten in the habit of pulling out the phone every 10 minutes or so and clicking the home button just to see if I missed any new texts. Email notification is no where to be found unless you unlock the phone and go the home screen.

Seems to me that push notification would be completely useless as I often have email waiting to be read, sometimes for a good length of time before I notice it.
Maybe it will be included in 2.0. For this to work you'll need real Push service, so maybe for enterprise users?

dhollister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006

It depends on your needs. Just because some things need improving doesn't mean we shouldn't fix the others, as well. It just depends on who you are and what your needs are.

For instance, I work in Hollywood and everyone I work with wants me to have a BlackBerry because I am expected to be able to respond to emails at a moment's notice, not every 15 or so as the iPhone specifies. I would really love for my iPhone to be my only device, and yes, to me, this feature is MUCH more important than a louder ringer.

That being said, does anyone think there's a chance that the new iPhone and software will support regular push-IMAP standards rather than just proprietary?

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Is push email only going to be available with MobileMe/Exchange, or will the new iPhone or 2.0 software support normal push-IMAP standards?

Based on the new firmware (you can see in screenscreen shots), push works with any mail service through the Mail app provided the company actually has it.

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Do you know if all Yahoo! accounts support push? I've got a yahoo business account of myname@mydomain.com rather than @yahoo.com

i assume you have an account set up within yahoo? like your other email that yahoo checks for you

question is, how often does yahoo check your other account? it defeats the object of push if it only checks it every 30 mins or so..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.