Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > iPhone Purchaser Meetups

Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:07 PM   #1
zenntench_oni
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to zenntench_oni
Honolulu, HI

So who's in? Ala Moana Apple Store or Ala moana's At&t Store. . is anyone going? im going. depends how early though lol.
*[2/7/2008] iPhone 16GB 2.0 ; *[7/11/2008 ; 8:40am] White 16GB iPhone 3G ; *16gb iPhone 3G S⃣ ; *[5/??/2010] iPad 3G 32GB ; *[6/24/2010 - 7:05am] iPhone 4 Black 16GB
zenntench_oni is offline   0
Old Jun 15, 2008, 04:33 AM   #2
Omideus
macrumors newbie

Gonna be at Ala Moana fo sure!

I'll be there. I don't have to work that day so it's already set. I don't think they'd let us camp out overnight (don't think we'd need to.) I think i'll contact the store and the center and find out what the earliest time they'd allow people to congregate. I'll post the results.

I got to be the 4 person in line for the grand opening. That was neat. This will be great too!
Omideus is offline   0
Old Jun 15, 2008, 04:53 PM   #3
zenntench_oni
macrumors regular

i wonder if Starbucks would give us free Starbucks drinks lol.
i didnt went to the first iphone launch but i did went to mac os x leopard's release.

i wonder if anyone would go to the Apple Store at Kahala Mall.
*[2/7/2008] iPhone 16GB 2.0 ; *[7/11/2008 ; 8:40am] White 16GB iPhone 3G ; *16gb iPhone 3G S⃣ ; *[5/??/2010] iPad 3G 32GB ; *[6/24/2010 - 7:05am] iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Old Jun 21, 2008, 03:56 AM   #4
HawaiiMacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I'll probably be at the Ala Moana Apple store on iDay Take 2 as well (I can walk there from my house). I have to determine if I qualify for the discounted price, however. I have been with Cingular/AT&T since December 2006 and purchased my current iPhone on iDay last year. I checked my wireless info on AT&T's website and it indicated that I am unable to upgrade my phone until 12 August. I've read that owners of the current iPhone will be able to purchase at the reduced price, but I haven't seen that officially. Assuming that I can qualify for the lower price, I may have to ask my wife to save a place for me in line until such time as I can get there from Schofield Barracks - I'll have to see if my boss will allow me to leave just a tad early

I'm stoked about the new iPhone, but moreso about the 2.0 firmware. The product demos during the WWDC keynote were simply amazing. Imagine what other apps are in line for us. It really doesn't matter which iPhone you have - the 2.0 firmware will be very nice on either.

HawaiiMacAddict
HawaiiMacAddict is offline   0
Old Jul 2, 2008, 05:52 AM   #5
Decept1k0n
macrumors newbie

I don't know what time, but I'll probably be at the Ward Avenue area AT&T Wireless store before it opens on July 11th. Just out of curiosity for those of you who bought an iPhone when it launched, was there much of a line at the AT&T Wireless stores and did they run out of iPhones pretty quick?

I'm just curious since this will determine how early I actually go to line up. I'd rather not be lining up at the AT&T Wireless store too early in the morning if it will be fairly short & easy to get an iPhone.
Decept1k0n is offline   0
Old Jul 2, 2008, 01:37 PM   #6
SCT47
macrumors newbie

Talking

Ill be at Kahala!!!
SCT47 is offline   0
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Decept1k0n
macrumors newbie

Cool, I heard that last year Kahala Mall's Apple Store actually had enough stock of the original iPhone to go around... Now I'm actually debating if I should go there instead... Hehe Are they gonna open up at 8am though or at 9?
Old Jul 5, 2008, 05:10 AM   #8
zenntench_oni
macrumors regular

i wonder what time apple store is going to release it.
i might just go to my local at&t store. . that takes me 15 minutes to get there. . or 30 minutes if i want to go to ala moana.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 09:57 PM   #9
onesixeight
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decept1k0n View Post
Just out of curiosity for those of you who bought an iPhone when it launched, was there much of a line at the AT&T Wireless stores and did they run out of iPhones pretty quick?
I can tell you that on the first iphone launch, the at&t stores ran out quick! I think the store I waited at, the one on Ward Ave. only had 15 8gb and 20 4gb.

A lot of disappointed people in line.

I dropped by the Ward Store today and chatted with the sales rep there. He basically said they'd let you stay there overnight. I said do you think I'll get one if I arrive at 8am. He said, if you drive by the night before and see a line, it's probably a good idea to skip and head to the apple store.
onesixeight is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:14 PM   #10
Decept1k0n
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
I can tell you that on the first iphone launch, the at&t stores ran out quick! I think the store I waited at, the one on Ward Ave. only had 15 8gb and 20 4gb.

A lot of disappointed people in line.

I dropped by the Ward Store today and chatted with the sales rep there. He basically said they'd let you stay there overnight. I said do you think I'll get one if I arrive at 8am. He said, if you drive by the night before and see a line, it's probably a good idea to skip and head to the apple store.
Dang, thanks for the heads up... Looks like I'm heading to the Apple store in the morning on friday... Probably around 6am(if not, I'll just wait til Sat/Sun... I'm not super desperate to get one) or something. I hope I'll be able to get one in the morning, then I can just let it charge and set it up while I'm at work. I wonder if Ala Moana or Kahala's Apple store will be busier? I know I saw a YouTube video for Kahala's launch and it looked like a pretty long line. Then again that was in the afternoon when most people could make time to go line up.... Oh well, here's hoping I manage to get one!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 06:04 AM   #11
zenntench_oni
macrumors regular

just in case ill be going to my local at&t store then.
a good morning run there should be good
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:49 AM   #12
onesixeight
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decept1k0n View Post
Dang, thanks for the heads up... Looks like I'm heading to the Apple store in the morning on friday... Probably around 6am(if not, I'll just wait til Sat/Sun... I'm not super desperate to get one) or something. I hope I'll be able to get one in the morning, then I can just let it charge and set it up while I'm at work. I wonder if Ala Moana or Kahala's Apple store will be busier? I know I saw a YouTube video for Kahala's launch and it looked like a pretty long line. Then again that was in the afternoon when most people could make time to go line up.... Oh well, here's hoping I manage to get one!

I just got back from Ala Moana...there was one guy in line as of 5pm! haha! He was a younger guy who had a white shirt on with writing on it. Said, "First in line for iPhone 3G". (something to that effect)... Props to you man! A lot of people walked by just to look at him and chat it up with him. I would have joined him but I had to go home to do some work.

I was at Kahala last year after the Ward Store and it was still long. I waited with friends who were near the end of the line, basically showed up at 6pm and they still got 3 phones. I think Ala Moana will be busier, but Kahala seems like the nicer place to hang out. Indoors, A/C, couple of wifi hotspots, etc.

I'll be at Kahala tomorrow between 5:30 and 6am. Hopefully I get up...haha

Chris
onesixeight is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2008, 06:58 AM   #13
zenntench_oni
macrumors regular

ill be at hopefully ala moana before 6am
im planning to leave my place at 4:45
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:41 AM   #14
cvadnais
macrumors newbie

Friday

Anyone up and in line today?

Post some photos...
cvadnais is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2008, 03:30 PM   #15
ryank808
macrumors regular

I went to the AT&T store in Kapolei.

Got there at 4:45am and was 21st in line.
The first person in line had been there since 9pm last night.

Rumor in line was that the store had 60 units available.

By the time the store opened there was about 65-70 people in line.

The store employees asked what type of iphone everyone was getting so they could let people in the back of the line know when they sold out. 16GB Black sold out fast. The manager came out and told us that after the 25th person there would be none left.

How was Ala Moana and Kahala?
ryank808 is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2008, 03:39 PM   #16
ryank808
macrumors regular

I just called Ala Moana Apple store out of curiosity and they said they still had some left.
ryank808 is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2008, 05:13 PM   #17
BINXER
macrumors newbie

Went to the att store at Kamehameha shopping plaza at 8:00, was about 40th in line. After about 2.5 hours standing in line, they told the people in front of me they probably will not have any in stock.

Decided to check out the Ward att store, they gave me a ticket that said I was #123, waited for about 45 minutes, then they told everyone they only had 8 GB ones left.

Unfortunately, I can't go to an apple store since I have a discount through my employer. Hopefully I can pick one up this weekend.
BINXER is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2008, 06:01 PM   #18
topherchris9
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Horrendous line?

Just heard the line is crazy at Ala Moana. Can anyone confirm?
Anyone know what the line is like at Kahala?
topherchris9 is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2008, 07:36 PM   #19
mecca11
macrumors newbie

I arrived at the Pearl City / Aeia store at 6am and was 31 and 32 in line (they did tickets). By 1030 I was walking out with two phones, and they still had about 50 people in line. I asked how many they had and even the clerks didnt know, the management was being all secretive about it apparently, but I overheard one say "we have plenty."

May want to check Aeia ATnT, /shrug.

The undressing of my new 16gb!
http://mecca11.org
mecca11 is offline   0
Old Jul 12, 2008, 03:03 AM   #20
mecca11
macrumors newbie

Was down at Ala Moana at closing time just wandering around after dinner. Took a stroll down to the Apple store, and their line was still max capacity. Clerks were telling people to line up early again tomorrow morning. They must have hella phones.
mecca11 is offline   0
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:54 AM   #21
Decept1k0n
macrumors newbie

I arrived at Ala Moana a little after 6am and was probably the 110th person or so in line at that point. The line was actually going from the Apple store toward Macy's(past Le Sportsac) at that point, and then they moved us so that we wrapped around by the planters by Shirokiya. While sitting there for about an hour or so, I heard reports that the line had reached the center stage at around 7am.

Once the 8am opening time came, I waited a little over an hour before I got into the store and had a chance to purchase my phone. I left by 9:40am with my 16GB black iPhone, so far I'm loving it and am glad that I decided to go to the Apple store and wait there... While passing there tonight because of some trouble I was having with setting up voicemail, I noticed there was still a pretty long line of people waiting to buy the phones again. It definitely looks like the Ala Moana location at least has enough phones in stock to last through the weekend!
Old Jun 19, 2009, 01:55 AM   #22
PaperMacWriter
macrumors 6502

I'm not actually getting an iPhone, but is it a good enough experience at a launch? Is it worth it just to admire the new 3G S? I'm going there tomorrow anyway to buy stuff, would they allow a non-iPhone purchase at the 7am opening, or should I wait until the afternoon/evening?
SG

edit: woops, thought this was the 3G S launch! Sorry for resurrecting this thread!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > iPhone Purchaser Meetups