Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Hey guys, I need a hand with this. I just picked up a used PowerMac with great specs, but I can't get anything installed on it.

Here's what's happened.

It came with Tiger on it, which ran poorly and kept hanging on me, I ran Verify Disk in Disk Utility and BOTH hard drives had the same problem apparently; "invalid extent entry" and "invalid catalog record type". So I swapped out the hard drive and ran Disk Utility from the Tiger installation disk and this disk checked out fine.

The Tiger install failed with all optional components unchecked. I could post the log if I could figure out how, but everything had "crashdump[#]" in it towards the end.

I tried Panther and that install completed but Kernel Panics on first reboot. Leopard couldn't finish because of some error, it says some of the files could not be installed in /DISK/FOLDER, you get the idea.

I've swapped out both the RAM and the Hard drive, so I'm hoping it's not a bigger problem with the machine, but I installed Fedora and it runs great on this machine.

What gives? PLEASE any help I can get would be awesome, I really want to get this machine going. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.