Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Hi,

I know that Apple mentions a max of 4GB of RAM in the iMac's. But what happens if I put more, for example 8GB ? Would my iMac burn or actually speed up but then with a fan problem ?

Anyone tried already ? Does the hardware profiler shows up the extra RAM ?

Cheers.

bentoms

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
The norm. is that the iMacs motherboard will only address the memorary that apple states.

For example my white imac 24" & the limit is set to3GB, your's is 4GB.

This is set on the hardware someone... but basically it will only be able to use 4GB so putting in any more is a waste.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
The maximum amount of RAM is dictated by the hardware and the computer is physically incapable of using more than 4GB. if you put in 8, it shows up as 4 and can only use 4, so you'd be wasting your money.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
There aren't any 4gb SoDimms on the market, so you couldn't if you wanted. When/If they are available it may be possible.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
The iMac just like the Macbook Pro and current Macbook can address upto and including 8GB of DDR2 sodimm ram, unfortunately 4GB module are rare and very expensive.

Memory limitations are set by the chipset not by Apple, the current chipset supports upto 8GB or ram.

http://www.gbmicro.com/product.htm?...ory&Category=8GB SODIMM DDR2-667 DUAL CHANNEL

you need to call for a price

http://shop.kingston.com/partsinfo.asp?promo=PRCGRBR&ktcpartno=KVR667D2S5K2/8G

$900 or £450 ish

uk price is £500 from
http://www.morecomputers.co.uk/extra.asp?pn=KVR667D2S5K2/8G

bentoms

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
from http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/
Processor and memory

* 2.4GHz, 2.66GHz, 2.8GHz, or 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
* 6MB shared L2 cache at full processor speed
* 1066MHz frontside bus
* 1GB (one 1GB SO-DIMM) or 2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

(This is for the latest generation iMac.)

So whilst you CAN add more than 4GB or RAM the iMac itself is only capable of addressing upto 4GB.

I don't know whay they do this, but they do.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Unless Apple has firmware-disabled the memory controller of the Santa Rosa chipset, the iMacs (and MacBooks and MacBook Pros) should be able to take 8 gb of RAM. Until someone actually puts in two 4-gig sticks, we won't know for sure.

And if the iMacs could use 4GB, why do you think Apple would be keeping it a secret?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
And if the iMacs could use 4GB, why do you think Apple would be keeping it a secret?

The original Mac Pro can take 32GB (and perhaps more, but there aren't 8GB FB-DIMMs), but Apple never marketed over 16GB.

It has to do with availability. The only 4GB FB-DIMMs at the time were prohibitively expensive. Apple isn't going to try to sell you an upgrade that costs more than your computer.

bentoms

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
Unless Apple has firmware-disabled the memory controller of the Santa Rosa chipset, the iMacs (and MacBooks and MacBook Pros) should be able to take 8 gb of RAM. Until someone actually puts in two 4-gig sticks, we won't know for sure.

I don't think it's to do with the firmware, i think it's to do with the logic boards that they use.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I don't think it's to do with the firmware, i think it's to do with the logic boards that they use.

See this document on the Santa Rosa chipset from Intel. Page 2, second column.

Apple has firmware-restricted its computers in the past. For example, both the first gen Intel Mac Mini and current Mac Mini are based on the same chipset (Calistoga). The only difference between them is the former shipped with Core Solo/Core Duo, while the latter uses Core 2 Duo. Both chips can address >3 gb of RAM, but the the CS/CD controller was EFI (firmware) restricted to two 1 gig SO-DIMMs. If you put more than a 1 gig SO-DIMM in either slot, the computer will not even boot.

The current Minis do not have this restriction. You can put 1/2 gig chips (i.e., 3 gigs) or 2/2 gig chips (i.e., 4 gigs) in its two SO-DIMM slots. Either way, you have access to 3 gigs (or 3.1 gigs with 2/2 gig) because the chipset can only access that much (32 bit). (Edit: Even Apple's web site lists only 2 gigs as the limit for the Mini, which is clearly not the case.) The Santa Rosa is 64 bit, thus can address 8 gigs with its memory controller (according to Intel). The cpu has nothing to do with it because you can put a C2D chip into a first-gen Intel Mini and you still are restricted to 2 gigs max.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
So ?

So based on your replies........... I still don't really know what to think. I contacted Apple about it, and they of course say that they do not support the idea and will not recommend me to try.

Physically, I can buy expensive 2 chips of 4GB and insert them in the iMac 3.06 - But then, would they actually work ? Would the system profiler show the full 8GB ? Anybody tried ?

Would it work without any sort of hacking some hardware or files ? or with ?

Sorry it is the same questions but I reckon I can find the answers within this site.

Cheers.

PS : What the name of the chip/motherboard in the iMac 3.06 ? Santa Rosa ? or... ?

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The original Mac Pro can take 32GB (and perhaps more, but there aren't 8GB FB-DIMMs), but Apple never marketed over 16GB.

It has to do with availability. The only 4GB FB-DIMMs at the time were prohibitively expensive. Apple isn't going to try to sell you an upgrade that costs more than your computer.

Well, I don't think Apple would be required to try to sell you an expensive upgrade just because they tell you that as a feature the iMac supports up to 8GB for "future" expansion. If it's true that iMacs can use 8GB, which I am not yet convinced is even true, I think a better reason that Apple would not mention it is to maintain the divide between the iMac and the Mac Pro. Of course if Apple feels strongly about that, why not just firmware-limit the iMacs in the first place? I think that's more likely than a "secret" feature.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Physically, I can buy expensive 2 chips of 4GB and insert them in the iMac 3.06 - But then, would they actually work ? Would the system profiler show the full 8GB ?

If your iMac would boot, System Profiler would report 8 gb or RAM. However, SP only reports what the hardware is, not what it's doing. To determine if you really have 8 gb RAM, you'd have to open Activity Monitor, click on System Memory and sum the Free and Used values.

Anybody tried ?

As far as I know, you'd be the first. Make sure you let us know how it goes. ;)

Would it work without any sort of hacking some hardware or files ? or with ?

Shouldn't require hacking. If it does, it's in the firmware and you'd have virtually no chance of modding it.

What the name of the chip/motherboard in the iMac 3.06 ? Santa Rosa ? or... ?

The iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros all ship with Santa Rosa now, with Penryn cpus.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The maximum amount of RAM is dictated by the hardware and the computer is physically incapable of using more than 4GB. if you put in 8, it shows up as 4 and can only use 4, so you'd be wasting your money.

There are some cases where the Mac can take in more RAM than specs, once higher capacity RAM becomes available.

Case in point, spec of certain Mac Minis lists max ram of 2gb, but they can actually take 3gb.

So time might change things (except for pre-santa rosa of which the limit is 3gb).

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Conclusion ?

So, the conclusion would be : Do not upgrade to more than 4GB of RAM - Too expensive, not supported by Apple and might damage the iMac.

Anybody with a better conclusion ? It is a pity to think that maybe I could upgrade to 8GB and that allows a real speed boost. I guess we have to believe and trust Apple on that one.

Also it is a too expensive risk.'

Cheers.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
So, the conclusion would be : Do not upgrade to more than 4GB of RAM - Too expensive, not supported by Apple and might damage the iMac.

Anybody with a better conclusion ? It is a pity to think that maybe I could upgrade to 8GB and that allows a real speed boost. I guess we have to believe and trust Apple on that one.

Cheers.

For £500/$900 you can load up your iMac or any other santa rosa chipset based Mac or PC with 8 GB of ram if you please. There is no technical limitation imposed. The only limitation is that the marketing department can't sell you 8 GB of ram just now because no one would buy it.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Have you tried it ?

Hi babyjenniferLB,

Have you tried it already ? If it works it would be so cool and cheaper than buying the next iMac upgrade.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Unfortunately i can only testify to the Macbook Pro however there architecture is the same at the chipset level.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Anyone please ?

Can anyone confirm that if it works under a MacBook Pro, then it should work on the iMac 3.06 ?

Could you please give me the specs of your MBP ? Does the system profiler detects your extra RAM ? Do you notice a performance boost ? How about the heat and fans of your MBP ?

Thanks for your posts, it gives me hope :)

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008

Cheers.

how would putting >4GB of RAM damage your mac? :confused: you could always remove the DIMMs

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia

In the other thread your were debating between Mac Pro and iMac. It was probably more sense to get a Mac Pro instead if you really need that much memory.

Putting more than 4 GB in the iMac will not damage the computer in any way, just make sure it meets the specs.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
from http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

(This is for the latest generation iMac.)

So whilst you CAN add more than 4GB or RAM the iMac itself is only capable of addressing upto 4GB.

I don't know whay they do this, but they do.

Apple is pretty notorious for understating the max amount of ram their computers can use. I had 3GB in my macbook (and do in my work computer - a macbook) for a year with no ill effects, despite apple's statement that the computer couldn't handle more than 2GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.