Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smudja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
hello,
I ordered Kingston Memory - 4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB ) - FB-DIMM 240-pin - DDR II - 667 MHz - fully buffered from amazon, but part number is KTH-XW667/4G instead of KTA-MP667/4G...

Can I use it in 1st generation Mac Pro?

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Well it's technically compatible. So you might as well try it and monitor the temps.

CanadaRAM is right, why monitor the temps looking for a problem when returning it and getting the right RAM will make sure there shouldn't be a problem and no need to monitor the temps :)

rikoshay

macrumors member
CanadaRAM is right, why monitor the temps looking for a problem when returning it and getting the right RAM will make sure there shouldn't be a problem and no need to monitor the temps :)

Well, I can sure comment on that; right after I purchased my 2007 Mac Pro, I ordered more RAM from OWC. And then, instead of operating temps of 130-140F, I was seeing temps of 250-260(!), for just the OWC RAM. Physically, they looked the same as the Apple RAM. By the time I'd installed the temp. widget, iStat Pro, the video card, an ATI 1900, was beginning to fail (pixelation, freezes) during gameplay. It was physically located right above the over-heated RAM, & didn't dig it. I ended up replacing the video card (with a newer revision 1900 card) and the OWC RAM. All problems solved. OWC got the same high temp readings as I on the returned RAM, & didn't have a clue as to the immediate cause. Their RAM replacements to me ran at over 100 degrees cooler. Conclusion: Monitor your temps!

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Save time, aggravation, and possibly money by sending it back and getting the correct memory that you won't have to worry about.

btollenaar

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2006
Recommendations?

Just bought a 8-core 2.8 (woohooo!) Lookin' to beef up the RAM (of course). What do you kids recommend? I hate how the 800mhz RAM is almost twice as much as the 667mhz, but what's a boy to do...

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I just put in 4x2GB OWC "Apple Qualified" RAM to make my Mac Pro into 10GB...ran hardware test, zero problems. Ran REMBER for 2 days, zero problems.

Great RAM and netlist ram is not even worth it imo.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've already driven drunk down the road of saving $50-$100 on ram and ended up buying the wrong ram and there were no heat sinks. At first I didn't think the lack of heat sinks mattered, but while I was waiting for my return to be processed I actually took the time to read and realized the importance of them.

In short, return the ram.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I wouldn't use it even if it did work. Why use 667 when you can have 800?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.