Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pb&j

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
hello all

i just picked up an iBook G4 800 and i cannot believe how long this battery lasts

good God!

i just ditched my TiBook 550, whose battery life was 13-1/2 minutes or so it felt..... and now this!

i honestly cannot get over this!

is anyone else out there surprised/overwhelmed with the loooooooooong battery life of the new iBooks?

o yeah--

i was so taken by the battery life that i completely forget to make mention of the 'extreme' performance/reception of the airport extreme card.... make no mistake, the reception is exponentially better. i had too many instances where my TiBook just couldn't cut it reception wise. i am certain your wife will be pleased....AND you may find yourself "upgrading" from the TiBook to the iBook.... boy, that sounds wierd. aside from the screen 15.2 to 12... which i don't mind... in fact i think this little guy has a brighter image than my old Ti 550, everything else is a push or improvement.... por exemplo, 20GB drive to 30 GB... "AirPort Sometimes" to AirPort Extreme... Combo to Combo... 550 to 800MHz... 1 firewire to 1 firewire... 2 USB 1.0 to 2 USB 2.0... a faster bus and a better graphics card.... all in all, a nice upgrade for $0. i hocked the TiBook on eBay for the price of the new iBook.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
13 minutes? wow. your battery must have been a bad one or on its last leg.

I have not owned a laptop since the mid 90's. it was a PowerBook 540 and I would get about 90 min to maybe 2 hours on its battery depending on usage.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
My battery is pretty decent. I've never owned a laptop before so I really have nothing to compare it to... I like that it's quiet though...

My only complaints however are:

1) I really wish you could disable the startup chime. I know it has it's purpose in case your computer is broke (hearing the startup chime will make you feel a tad better) and I know you can turn it off by muting your computer before you shut it down... but... it's rather awkward when I get to the coffee shop and break the silence with my chime because I forgot to mute it before I shut it down. If anybody knows how to disable it permanently please inform me...

2) Energy Saver. The computer knows when it is plugged in and when it is running on battery right? For some reason I can't seem to get it to be in high performance mode when it's plugged in and to be on longest life when it's on battery mode. I can manually switch it but it'd be nice if it would auto-switch for me. I'm not really sure what the "automatic" setting of energy saver does... I'm sure somebody can swing a clue stick my way though.

pb&j

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
my battery was actually at 13-1/2 minutes...... i was joking.

but it was nothing compared to this bad little boy in the iBook

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by SilentPanda
1) I really wish you could disable the startup chime. I know it has it's purpose in case your computer is broke (hearing the startup chime will make you feel a tad better) and I know you can turn it off by muting your computer before you shut it down... but... it's rather awkward when I get to the coffee shop and break the silence with my chime because I forgot to mute it before I shut it down. If anybody knows how to disable it permanently please inform me...

Here's what I do:

Plug a pair of headphones or earbuds in and then start up.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Originally posted by ibookin'
Here's what I do:

Plug a pair of headphones or earbuds in and then start up.

I do that sometimes too... but... I was actually thinking it'd be cool if some company made a headphone jack plug. It would be a normal headphone jack plug except instead of headphones attached it'd just be chopped off. There'd have to be someway to get the plug out obviously but hopefully it'd lay pretty flush against the iBook... that'd be neat... sorta like a mechanical muting...

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Why do you shut your computer down? Just put it to sleep. My PB has been on for over 10 days now. It actually consumes more power turning it on and off than it would to just let it sleep all the time.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by SilentPanda
1) I really wish you could disable the startup chime... it's rather awkward when I get to the coffee shop and break the silence with my chime because I forgot to mute it before I shut it down.

I think you should turn it up and use it as a calling card--make a statement.:D

Of you could just put it to sleep. There's nothing wrong with doing that. Then you can open the lid and immediately start working.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
let the chime ring loud and then all the honies in the coffee shop will come sit with the cool mac guy :)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Re: 'upgrade' to the iBook?

Originally posted by pb&j
all in all, a nice upgrade for $0. i hocked the TiBook on eBay for the price of the new iBook.

wow, that's awesome. I'm always amazed what people will pay for old tibooks.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
G4 iBook

:D To stay happy with your laptop, buy Apple's AppleCare before your 1 year is up. :( A broken screen, battery, CD/DVD Combo, CPU, etc. any problem will be way over $250, more like $800.:mad: Plus, you get free tech support for 3 whole years (OS X can get ugly!) and a free copy of TechTools utility.
Be patient for awhile because Apple is considering adding loss/damage coverage to their extended warranty which would be a God send.

Each time you go into your local Apple Store (we are lucky enough to have 2 in the Valley of the Sun - Phoenix & Chandler) pick through the "discount table" for incredible bargains on otherwise never discounted product. I just picked up a $129 replacement battery for my 14" iBook for $69...and that was what I went in to buy! They also had some killer deals on LaCie 4x DVD/CD burners (NEW 8X are coming out within weeks) in that cool solid aluminum case, cables, and refreshed items. Anymore, 10% OFF is no real bargain; 50% is much better. I once bought a new Macromedia OS 9 software box (studio?) for $99 ($399 ? regular) which entitled me to a $300+ discounted UPGRADE price for the OS X version when it came out - net savings of at least $200.

You hit the Titanium nail on its head with an upgrade from PB Ti to iBook G4, only drawback is no SuperDrive... :(
but for under $240 you can get a LaCie external FireWire 4x to burn DVDs :) which is really heavy (not portable) but that kind of burning would probably be done at home, right?
;) Macworld review on FireWire DVD-RW http://www.macworld.com/2003/05/reviews/firewiredvdrdrives/
When you purchase a new Mac, you can get FinalCut Express for only $99.
Apple also has a $300 rebate (20% off) if you buy a Mac and both DVD Studio Pro 2.0 ($500) and FinalCut Pro 4.0 ($999) after November 10, 2003 and before February 28, 2004, from Apple or a participating Apple Authorized Reseller.
;) http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...OdfVn2ZJrjWKJd/0.0.7.1.0.5.21.1.6.1.1.0.0.1.0
Read the fine print to see if you can still do it and that you qualify.:) Educational purchases have their own discounts.

Owning a great Mac was never so easy or so much fun!

:cool: Cool too! Let it CHIME !!!

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by MoparShaha
Why do you shut your computer down? Just put it to sleep. My PB has been on for over 10 days now. It actually consumes more power turning it on and off than it would to just let it sleep all the time.

Ditto except mine's been used that way for 5 months. I don't see any point in shutting down unless I expect to leave it unplugged for an extended period (days). Haven't had any reason to do that yet.

Seems even more reasonable to use sleep mode if the trip is just to a diner/cafe/restaurant.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Sleep, iBook, sleep...

Originally posted by jtown
Ditto except mine's been used that way for 5 months. I don't see any point in shutting down unless I expect to leave it unplugged for an extended period of days.
Great idea, thanks. Makes sense - less stress. Never thought of doing it.
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.