Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:22 PM   #1
M. Malone
macrumors 6502a

why can't the iPhone store infinite number of recent calls, SMS, and emails

I don't understand why the iPhone can't use its large hard drive to store all calls, SMS, and emails that have been sent or made. I would love to have an extensive call history and see every SMS I sent and received. Personally, I don't put any music, videos, or photos in my iPhone. I'm sure there are many people who are the same and would like to utilize the hard drive.
M. Malone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:26 PM   #2
JBaker122586
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho2550 View Post
I don't understand why the iPhone can't use its large hard drive to store all calls, SMS, and emails that have been sent or made. I would love to have an extensive call history and see every SMS I sent and received. Personally, I don't put any music, videos, or photos in my iPhone. I'm sure there are many people who are the same and would like to utilize the hard drive.
Well, I believe it can store about 100k SMS messages, so I wouldn't worry too much there.
JBaker122586 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:32 PM   #3
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Quote:
Something might be wrong with your iPhone? I'm able to store all my calls, text messages, and emails (stored in All Mail within Gmail on my iPhone) and I can access that anytime I want. All text messages are saved individually, and remain on my iPhone unless I "delete" them by choice. Also, your call history is on your AT&T wireless bill at the end of each month, depending on your billing cycle.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:36 PM   #4
M. Malone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFStateStudent View Post
Something might be wrong with your iPhone? I'm able to store all my calls, text messages, and emails (stored in All Mail within Gmail on my iPhone) and I can access that anytime I want. All text messages are saved individually, and remain on my iPhone unless I "delete" them by choice. Also, your call history is on your AT&T wireless bill at the end of each month, depending on your billing cycle.
emails only stores the last 250.

SMS App is choking and lagging big time after some hundred messages.

Calls are limited I think to 100
M. Malone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:44 PM   #5
PoitNarf
macrumors 65816

If you want to look at an extensive call history, look at your detail monthly phone bill.
PoitNarf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:49 PM   #6
philgilder
macrumors 68000

Quote:
SMS App is choking and lagging big time after some hundred messages.
thats because the database is massive
surely you dont need all those messages?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:56 PM   #7
pintnight
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Err, might have a bit of OCD to want to keep all of those data?
pintnight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 01:02 PM   #8
diamond.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgilder View Post
thats because the database is massive
surely you dont need all those messages?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintnight View Post
Err, might have a bit of OCD to want to keep all of those data?
I was a bit upset about that when moving from my Treo to the iPhone, but I guess I got over that.

I think Apple is only using one db for the SMS messages (when they should really use one per converation). It takes the phone a few seconds to parse the db. The call list is only for the past 30 days (or so) as is the voicemail. This was mainly done because on a fringe few folks actually like looking at the first call they made from their phone (or first voicemail or first sms). Other folks just don't care.

Can Apple fix it? Yes they can, will they? Who knows...

As the others said, if you must look at the call info, just consult your past bills, they are all available in OLAM.
diamond.g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:25 PM   #9
gceo
macrumors 6502a

From the programmer side of things, you must place limits on your data structures.

(Basically you must define the size of things that hold the data.)

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone