Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Jun 16, 2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Keebler
macrumors 68030

converting tiff to jpg?

Hi folks,

I have a few hundred slide scans in tiff format. I would like to resize them to jpg for dvd work and for review (tiffs are currently 73 MBs each).

I have CS3, but can't get Adobe photoshop to convert them?

The scans were done in a nikon LS-5000 scanner using their software. Of course, I chose the 'save as jpeg' format, but of course that didn't work. They are still all tiffs.

I might be able to open individually in the nikon scan software, but a batch would be a much better idea.

Any help would be appreciated. I might try graphic converter on my G5 if it comes back from the shop today (and if it works properly).
I'm currently on a mac pro with latest version of Tiger.

Cheers,
Keebler
Keebler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 02:06 PM   #2
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

That sounds bizarre. Saving as a jpg should save as a jpg, nothing else. Does the file still retain the .tif file extension even after the save as?

Normally, I'd batch an entire folder's worth of images to a new directory after creating an action first that contained the save as jpg settings I wanted to use on all the images. Under File>Automate>Batch...
Blue Velvet is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 02:56 PM   #3
iGav
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
I chose the 'save as jpeg' format, but of course that didn't work. They are still all tiffs.
Just out of interest, have you tried just opening the one file and saving that as a JPEG manually? Or did you just automatically action it?

If it's the former, than you need to reset Photoshop.

If it's the latter, then there's something amiss with your action.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 03:00 PM   #4
fwhh
macrumors regular

Check out
Resize!
I used it to convert my tiffs into jpg.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Keebler
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
That sounds bizarre. Saving as a jpg should save as a jpg, nothing else. Does the file still retain the .tif file extension even after the save as?

Normally, I'd batch an entire folder's worth of images to a new directory after creating an action first that contained the save as jpg settings I wanted to use on all the images. Under File>Automate>Batch...
hi BV,

It must be something to do with the nikon scan 4 software b/c when I open 1 in Photoshop - there is no option for jpeg in save as. weird eh?

I'm a huge action guy...use them all the time. I was going to do exactly that...set up the action, run the batch..whammo....time saved...mission accomplished. But nooooooooo....

Technology has not been my friend this week so i'm not surprised I have yet another hurdle.

I'll keep you folks posted. I'm running some slides again then I will tackle it.

Cheers,
Keebler
Old Jun 16, 2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

You haven't scanned them in 16 bit colour by any chance?
Blue Velvet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Keebler
macrumors 68030

Quote:
You haven't scanned them in 16 bit colour by any chance?
oh boy.

yes. i just scanned 1 in at 8 bit and was able to save as jpeg. and surprisingly (sarcasm) the file size is very small compared to the tiff which obviously is holding more data.

So, i'm man enough to admit I screwed up and I need to learn more (never ends does it?) - is there hope for me to rectify the situation? I can't rescan the images - no time as they are due Wednesday. I was thinking of using an action, if 1 is available, to reduce it from 16 bit to 8 bit, but i'm thinking that isn't possible b/c the bits have to do with the depth of information scanned?

So much for listening to a colleague about scan settings with this scanner...doh!

Cheers,
Keebler
Old Jun 16, 2008, 04:37 PM   #8
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
I was thinking of using an action, if 1 is available, to reduce it from 16 bit to 8 bit
No probs with doing that. But it's probably easier to set one action to do it all: open the image, convert it to 8-bit, save the file as a JPG... and then batch the whole lot into a new folder.
Blue Velvet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 04:39 PM   #9
timimbo85
macrumors regular

Drag the tiffs to photoshop / aperture / whatever u use, then go save as, then set to jpeg. It is better that they are already in tiff format bc its cleaner then a jpeg will every be.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:01 PM   #10
Keebler
macrumors 68030

Quote:
No probs with doing that. But it's probably easier to set one action to do it all: open the image, convert it to 8-bit, save the file as a JPG... and then batch the whole lot into a new folder.
whew! I have it running as I type.

BV, thanks so much. Now, I could walk away with my mission accomplished, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't learn something (aside from making a mistake and having it corrected) - is there a benefit to scanning at 16 bit depth? I usually scan in slides or negatives for consumers if that helps.

Cheers and thanks again,
Keebler
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:06 PM   #11
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
is there a benefit to scanning at 16 bit depth
Say you're doing work with colour balance, levels etc. If you stay in 16 bit, then posterisation and banding is less likely to occur.

I was going to write a whole bunch more but here's a link instead:
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/e...bit/page-2.php
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:12 PM   #12
Keebler
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Say you're doing work with colour balance, levels etc. If you stay in 16 bit, then posterisation and banding is less likely to occur.

I was going to write a whole bunch more but here's a link instead:
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/e...bit/page-2.php
great link. thanks. to edumacation I go

seriously, thanks again. have a great day.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:15 PM   #13
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:

Any help would be appreciated. I might try graphic converter on my G5 if it comes back from the shop today (and if it works properly).
MyFile.tif and MyFile.jpg are two different files. When you converted the .tiff file, you probably saved the .jpeg version in a different location.

As for GraphicConverter, it does the job and does it well. For this simple conversion job, just download the app to your Mac Pro. GC is fully functional before you pay the shareware fee. There is no need to wait for your G5 to come home.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:25 PM   #14
Lone Deranger
macrumors 65816

No need to make your own PS CS action if all you're doing is converting from tiff to jpeg. File-->Scripts-->Image Processor takes care of that. With resize and sRGB colour space options to boot.
It'll even make a destination folder in the source folder for you.
Lone Deranger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:29 PM   #15
silverdogz
macrumors newbie

Use preview then select save as and select jpeg from the dropdown
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:40 AM   #16
zephyrnoid
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Yes. I do it this way all the time.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:46 AM   #17
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Apple's "preview" will do the conversion but one file at a time. iPhoto will do a batch conversion and so will Aperture. Import the tiff files into the library then file->export and choose some options for size and quality and files type (jpg) You don't need any software that is not already on you Mac.
ChrisA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:30 AM   #18
blanka
macrumors 68000

People always forget Automator for these kinds of things. Boy there is much possible with it!
Just add open file, save to jpeg, choose quality, then save as application or smart folder and throw your stuff on/in it.
You can even have it make PDF brochures to browser all your images.
blanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:12 AM   #19
autacraft

Hijacking post, but for any creative cloud users bridge is pretty good for batch processing.

Open Bridge, then hit Tools > Photoshop > image processor

Bingo!

Bridge also now very handy for making contact sheets, just go to 'output' on top right toolbar.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2013, 01:16 PM   #20
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by autacraft View Post
Hijacking post, but for any creative cloud users bridge is pretty good for batch processing.
There are plenty of cheap alternatives for batch processing images without resorting to the Devil's shilling that is Adobe Creative Cash.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics