Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:36 AM   #1
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

What to do with an aging iMac G5...

I have two computers - a MacBook Pro (in my signature) and an iMac G5 (2.1 GHz, aftermarket upgraded to 300GB HDD and 2.5GB RAM). The thing's getting old - the SuperDrive in it won't burn discs (but will read them), and the internal iSight is completely broken. I currently use it with Tiger, for those old Classic games, but I'm wondering, especially with the possibility of it not being able to run Snow Leopard, if I should just retire the thing instead. I was running Mac OS X Leopard Server on it for a while, and it works as a server - just not as well as I had hoped it would.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:42 AM   #2
tersono
macrumors 68000

I use an ancient G4-400 running Tiger as a basic media and file server (it also handles incoming VPN connections and is running an IRC/bitlbee server, too), and it does the job just fine - your G5 should handle that kinda thing with ease.

In the past, I've had the G4 working as a web & mail server without problems, although admittedly the P4 Linux box I'm using now is a lot quicker - again, though, your G5 should easily be up to that kinda use.

Personally, I find anything above the minimum spec for Leopard to be perfectly useable for just about anything short of Adobe CS3, so long as it has enough RAM. Of course, YMMV =]
Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:32 PM   #3
iShater
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tersono View Post
I use an ancient G4-400 running Tiger as a basic media and file server (it also handles incoming VPN connections and is running an IRC/bitlbee server, too), and it does the job just fine - your G5 should handle that kinda thing with ease.

In the past, I've had the G4 working as a web & mail server without problems, although admittedly the P4 Linux box I'm using now is a lot quicker - again, though, your G5 should easily be up to that kinda use.

Personally, I find anything above the minimum spec for Leopard to be perfectly useable for just about anything short of Adobe CS3, so long as it has enough RAM. Of course, YMMV =]
Out of curiosity, what VPN server do you use?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs