Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:13 AM   #1
Allaria
macrumors newbie

Can't install OS 10.5 or 10.2.4 onto eMac

This is a long convoluted story about my problem, but here it is...

I have an eMac that's five years old. The computer wouldn't come back up after I installed 10.5.3. I was having a kernel panic error and I determined that there was an invalid node structure on my hard drive. The folks at Apple told me that I needed to reinstall Leopard to five the invalid node structure problem.

After getting my data off and repairing and verifying my hard drive, I attempted to install Leopard using the retail disc that was purchased about a month after Leopard was released. The installer gets stuck very early in the installation screen and doesn't make any further progress.

I tried installing using a friend's Macbook install discs, but the computer wouldn't take that install.

I called Apple back and the folks there recommended using the original install discs that came with the eMac five years ago and then upgrading up to Leopard. The original disc came with 10.2.4. I booted up from that disc and when I get to the install screen, the disc doesn't recognize a destination hard drive to install the OS from. I ran disc utility again and tried to reinstall again. The disc again didn't recognize a destination hard drive.

So that's where I am. Does anyone have any ideas or is my computer just completely dead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Allaria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 04:56 PM   #2
ihabime
macrumors 6502

I hate to say it, but it sounds like your hard drive has died. It is possible to replace it, but it's not terribly easy. I'm sure you could get it replaced at an authorized repair center, but a cheaper solution might be to pick up an external firewire drive and install leopard on it.

btw, i feel your pain, I'm posting this from a nearly 5 yr old eMac myself
ihabime is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X