Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:44 PM   #1
melissarae
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to melissarae
can an iphone work with tmobile?

i really want one, but no way in you know what am i going to switch to at&t... so can an iphone work with tmobile?

thanks, melissa
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:48 PM   #2
onlycopunk
macrumors 6502

holy balls read the 10,000 other posts about iPhone and Tmobile.
onlycopunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:50 PM   #3
melissarae
macrumors regular

i did a search but can't find anything... i'm sorry. can someone point me in the right direction to find the information i'm looking for then?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:55 PM   #4
dangerfish
macrumors regular

The answer is yes, but damn dude. You must really suck at searching if you couldn't find any info on this.
dangerfish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:59 PM   #5
dangerfish
macrumors regular

Just go to a website called www.google.com and do a search for "iPhone tmobile". Plenty of answers there for you.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:17 PM   #6
powderblue17
macrumors regular

Since you probably don't want to read an entire thread about the subject I'll help you out. Yes T-Mobile does work on the iPhone but it requires some amount of hacking to get working which I doubt you would want to deal with. Since the new iPhone is being sold like any other phone there might be a better chance that you could just swap out the sim if you paid the non-subsidized price which I think AT&T will be offering. You will just have to wait and find out if that turns out to be true. One thing to remember though is that T-Mobile's 3G won't work with the new iPhone when it's rolled out but you could still use it as a phone and get edge data speeds.
powderblue17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:00 AM   #7
melissarae
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderblue17 View Post
One thing to remember though is that T-Mobile's 3G won't work with the new iPhone when it's rolled out but you could still use it as a phone and get edge data speeds.

what do you mean by this?

thanks for helping!! it's much appreciated
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Hmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissarae View Post
what do you mean by this?
This question, and the fact that you aren't technologically adept enough to mount a search on this huge topic suggests that the technical machinations necessary to get an iPhone to work on T-Mobile are probably beyond your capabilities. I wouldn't try it if I were you.
Hmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:06 AM   #9
melissarae
macrumors regular

i did a google search and all i'm finding is stuff on eastern europe... i'm in the states!!

i want the new 3G iphone, and i want to use it with tmobile. is it possible? if so, then how?

geeze... why are you guys so not willing to help someone out?! (that's not toward you powderblue17 since you did offer some help )
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:34 AM   #10
onlycopunk
macrumors 6502

1) Because this topic has been discussed over and over and over, etc...

2) Nobody knows because the 3G iPhone is not even released yet.

And to help with your Google search. Tmobile is an international company. Try adding USA to the end of it in your searches.

And like others have said if the mechanics of a google and forum search are beyond your technological reach, then getting an iPhone to work on Tmobile is probably going to be way over your head.
onlycopunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:51 AM   #11
melissarae
macrumors regular

Angry

it's not WAY OVER MY HEAD! when i type in Tmobile iPhone in the search on this forum it brings up a ton of threads in which none have the subject of tmobile working with iphone... and i'm not about to read through 500 pages of needless information that has nothing to do with what my question is! trust me i've tried researching this topic in many places... i'm not stupid, i just don't understand the technology of hacking... excuse me for asking a simple question that could have simply been answered instead of you guys being jerks to me about!!

i can't believe this. i truely am disappointed. this is supposed to be a SUPPORT forum... not a "let's tell everyone how stupid they are" forum.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:52 AM   #12
brn2ski00
macrumors 68020

Quote:
it's not WAY OVER MY HEAD! when i type in Tmobile iPhone in the search on this forum it brings up a ton of threads in which none have the subject of tmobile working with iphone... and i'm not about to read through 500 pages of needless information that has nothing to do with what my question is! trust me i've tried researching this topic in many places... i'm not stupid, i just don't understand the technology of hacking... excuse me for asking a simple question that could have simply been answered instead of you guys being jerks to me about!!

i can't believe this. i truely am disappointed. this is supposed to be a SUPPORT forum... not a "let's tell everyone how stupid they are" forum.
Sent you a PM.
brn2ski00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:55 AM   #13
angel1286
macrumors member

well...you won't be able to use the iphone 3G until the software has been unlocked which won't happen until sometime after launch I'm sure. But you won't be able to use the 3G part of the new iphone since tmobile operates its 3G network on different bands than att and the iphone does not support those bands unfortunately. you would be able to take advantage of gps and the other hardware improvements but would miss out on things such as the above mentioned 3G connectivity and visual voicemail.

But you'll just have to wait and see, I'd recommend getting a first gen if you want an iphone on t-mobile especially if the only draw was the 3G factor. Hopes that helps.
angel1286 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:57 AM   #14
richard4339
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

There really are a ton of threads on this.

From what we *assume* so far, an iPhone 3G theoretically would work on tmobile, but since TMobile doesn't offer 3G service, you wouldn't get 3G service. You'd probably be better off with a 1st gen iPhone if you're wanting to hack it.

Edit: Someone beat me to it!

Last edited by richard4339; Jun 18, 2008 at 10:29 AM.
richard4339 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:58 AM   #15
brn2ski00
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel1286 View Post
well...you won't be able to use the iphone 3G until the software has been unlocked which won't happen until sometime after launch I'm sure. But you won't be able to use the 3G part of the new iphone since tmobile operates its 3G network on different bands than att and the iphone does not support those bands unfortunately. you would be able to take advantage of gps and the other hardware improvements but would miss out on things such as the above mentioned 3G connectivity and visual voicemail.

But you'll just have to wait and see, I'd recommend getting a first gen if you want an iphone on t-mobile especially if the only draw was the 3G factor. Hopes that helps.
Also, how is anyone goign to buy a 2ng Generation iPhone without activating with At&t first?!?! The only way you will be able to walk out of the store with an 3G iPhone is if you are an existing At&t customer first -- even that is still up in the air.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:58 AM   #16
brn2ski00
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard4339 View Post
There really are a ton of threads on this.

From what we *assume* so far, an iPhone 3G theoretically would work on tmobile, but since TMobile doesn't offer 3G service, you wouldn't get 3G service. You'd probably be better off with a 1st gen iPhone if you're wanting to hack it.
Yes, but this is assuming that you can even buy one without joining TMobile first.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:01 AM   #17
angel1286
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn2ski00 View Post
Yes, but this is assuming that you can even buy one without joining TMobile first.
very true
angel1286 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:02 AM   #18
dangerfish
macrumors regular

Sorry. Not trying to be mean but this I formation has been readily available online since maybe a month after the launch of the original iPhone. There may be 10 people in the world (and they all work at apple) that would know if it is technically possible to use the 3G iPhone on tmobile. It is not possible for anyone else to know this answer yet. I used a program ziphone to unlock my iPhone. Something like this may become available for the 3G. But you would have to sign up with att, wait 30 days and then cancel and pay the early termination fee. But seriously, your inability to locate this abundant info on your own speaks to your technical abilities and understanding. This is not something you would want to try on your own. It is highly likely you would damage the phone. Again, not trying to be mean. Just saying like it is.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:09 AM   #19
spencecb
macrumors 6502a

PLEASE READ THIS POST, I'm being helpful not a bitch

Do not listen to all these people giving you a hard time about the fact that you couldn't find any information on how to unlock the iPhone to work on T-Mobile.

The process could not be easier with a free program called "ZiPhone." If you do a Google search for this program, download it, plug in an iPhone with a T-Mobile SIM card in it and select the button called "Do It All." This unlocks, jailbreaks and activates the iPhone to work with T-Mobile.

You do not have to know anything about hacking into the iPhone to complete this process.

The reason why I made a point to write this is because I bought my iPhone and subscribed to AT&T like a good Apple fanboi, only to be burned by how bad AT&T's network is here in Chicago. I never had good service with the phone, and more often than not I had No Service.

I'm not going to detail everything I did, but to make a long story short, I went threw 3 iPhones, all with the same results, so I concluded AT&T's network is crap, got out of my contract without paying the cancellation fee, and moved to T-Mobile and my signal has very rarely dropped below 3 bars. It has been exceptional.

All these people giving you a hard time just don't want to see Apple getting screwed out of their share of the monthly service fee revenue. Well, I feel only slightly bad about that because they made a bad decision to go with AT&T in the first place.

My rant is done.....one final thing to note, however: Please keep in mind that if you buy an iPhone 3G, it will not work at 3G speeds on T-Mobile's network, but will continue to use EDGE. This is because T-Mobile uses a different frequency than AT&T, and Apple has disabled this on the iPhone 3G, presumably to cut down on unlocking the iPhone.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:09 AM   #20
Tallest Skil
Banned

Quote:
*rant*
Ma'am, just Google "ZiPhone". Download and run that. Pop in a T-Mobile SIM and you should be good to go.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:32 AM   #21
richard4339
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencecb View Post

Do not listen to all these people giving you a hard time about the fact that you couldn't find any information on how to unlock the iPhone to work on T-Mobile.

The process could not be easier with a free program called "ZiPhone." If you do a Google search for this program, download it, plug in an iPhone with a T-Mobile SIM card in it and select the button called "Do It All." This unlocks, jailbreaks and activates the iPhone to work with T-Mobile.

You do not have to know anything about hacking into the iPhone to complete this process.

The reason why I made a point to write this is because I bought my iPhone and subscribed to AT&T like a good Apple fanboi, only to be burned by how bad AT&T's network is here in Chicago. I never had good service with the phone, and more often than not I had No Service.

I'm not going to detail everything I did, but to make a long story short, I went threw 3 iPhones, all with the same results, so I concluded AT&T's network is crap, got out of my contract without paying the cancellation fee, and moved to T-Mobile and my signal has very rarely dropped below 3 bars. It has been exceptional.

All these people giving you a hard time just don't want to see Apple getting screwed out of their share of the monthly service fee revenue. Well, I feel only slightly bad about that because they made a bad decision to go with AT&T in the first place.

My rant is done.....one final thing to note, however: Please keep in mind that if you buy an iPhone 3G, it will not work at 3G speeds on T-Mobile's network, but will continue to use EDGE. This is because T-Mobile uses a different frequency than AT&T, and Apple has disabled this on the iPhone 3G, presumably to cut down on unlocking the iPhone.

Hope this helps.
I could care less if you give your monthly money to TMobile versus AT&T. We don't know if that software will work on the 3G, first off. And second off, while you may have better luck with TMobile in your town, here, AT&T has better coverage than TMobile does. Unfortunately, neither one is particularly great. I'm just happy that AT&T is turning on the new towers here in two weeks.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:48 AM   #22
Love Juice
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard4339 View Post
...but since TMobile doesn't offer 3G service, you wouldn't get 3G service. You'd probably be better off with a 1st gen iPhone if you're wanting to hack it.
actually tmobile does offer 3g, its just not widespread yet. it's definitely up and working in nyc! the tmobile 3g operates on a different band than at&t's 3g though.
Love Juice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:49 AM   #23
melissarae
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencecb View Post

Hope this helps.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

see i've looked into getting AT&T here... but it's a crappy deal and more expensive all around. the service is poor where we live. so there's no way in heck i would switch.

knowing that we'd still be able to use EDGE helps. i know it's slower, but it's worth not having to deal with AT&T. As long as we can still use all the other capabilities/features, i'll be happy.

i realize that we would have to wait till after July 11th to make sure that the ZiPhone software works with the new iPhones. if it does, you bet i will be purchasing 2 new iPhones, along with the MobileMe family pack.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:58 AM   #24
JBaker122586
macrumors 65816

Anybody complaining about AT&T coverage and then claiming T-Mobile is better knows nothing.
I can understand arguing Verizon has better coverage in your area, but there are very few, if any, areas where T-Mobile or Sprint truly have better coverage than ATT or VZW.

Especially Chicago. Chicago has great AT&T coverage.
JBaker122586 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:59 AM   #25
brn2ski00
macrumors 68020

Quote:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

see i've looked into getting AT&T here... but it's a crappy deal and more expensive all around. the service is poor where we live. so there's no way in heck i would switch.

knowing that we'd still be able to use EDGE helps. i know it's slower, but it's worth not having to deal with AT&T. As long as we can still use all the other capabilities/features, i'll be happy.

i realize that we would have to wait till after July 11th to make sure that the ZiPhone software works with the new iPhones. if it does, you bet i will be purchasing 2 new iPhones, along with the MobileMe family pack.
And how do you intend to purchase two new iPhones?!?!? I think you are truly missing something.

Let me spell it out: YOU CAN NOT BUY AN IPHONE WITHOUT SIGNING A 2 YEAR CONTRACT.

What part of that doesn't make sense?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone