Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

MacBook Pro Vertical Striping Issue

Growing threads on both MacRumors and Apple's discussion forums are reporting intermittent vertical striping with current generation 15" MacBook Pros.

According to affected users, the striping appears to occur when the display is changing brightness, often when waking from sleep or powering up or taking pictures with Photo Booth. To temporarily resolve the issue, users have shut and re-opened the lid or used the ctrl-shift-eject keyboard combination to reset the LCD.

This particular issue has been documented by several sites over the past several months, however Apple has yet to respond in any formal manner.

Article Link

Last edited by arn; Jun 17, 2008 at 06:16 PM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:13 PM   #2
melchior
macrumors 65816

I have this issue maybe once a week, doesn't bother me and since i'm in bangladesh i probably wouldn't go to effort of getting a replacement unless it included updated model...

i have a latest gen 15" mbp
melchior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:18 PM   #3
kjs862
macrumors 65816

yeah bring it in and see what they can do for you
kjs862 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:20 PM   #4
mjstew33
macrumors 601

I had Apple replace my entire machine. New one is great - but with other graphics issues. Figures.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:21 PM   #5
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
yeah bring it in and see what they can do for you
But that's the thing. Some of the affected folks are on their third MacBook Pros that still exhibit the issue. Bringing it in doesn't help.

Last edited by longofest; Jun 17, 2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: reflective of thread split
longofest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Electrolytic
macrumors regular

Another reason why I don't buy any displays from Apple, they make the worst in the industry.. Walmart sell better displays than Apple...

Thanks Apple for your high quality product....
Electrolytic is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:31 PM   #7
mdntcallr
macrumors 65816

seems like the old apple is back.

ignoring manufacturing issues until months later
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:32 PM   #8
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolytic View Post
Another reason why I don't buy any displays from Apple, they make the worst in the industry.. Walmart sell better displays than Apple...

Don't know if I'd go that far... a little over-priced yes, but they have great color fidelity and viewing angles. View gradients on an Apple LCD vs. something from Walmart and you will see the difference.
longofest is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:34 PM   #9
toxicbomber
Banned

Send a message via AIM to toxicbomber Send a message via MSN to toxicbomber Send a message via Skype™ to toxicbomber
Quote:

What about 30 inch cinema displays?!?! *drools*
toxicbomber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:35 PM   #10
wrxpert
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntcallr View Post
seems like the old apple is back.

ignoring manufacturing issues until months later
Hey Apple can care less about your screen issues. All they want to do is sell Iphones now.
wrxpert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:38 PM   #11
McBanjo
macrumors member

I've only had this issue once in the life of my Macbook Pro.

It's no big deal really. Only if you were having regular problems should you do anything about it.
McBanjo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:38 PM   #12
phalewhale
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
But that's the thing. Some of the affected folks are on their third MacBook Pros that still exhibit the issue. Bringing it in doesn't help.
If it's something that can be fixed with firmware they need to sort it - otherwise I'd be enquiring about a refund.
phalewhale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:38 PM   #13
Electrolytic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
Don't know if I'd go that far... a little over-priced yes, but they have great color fidelity and viewing angles. View gradients on an Apple LCD vs. something from Walmart and you will see the difference.

I've had a macbook pro & looked a the new imac's they all have the same issue as: bright corners or light bleed around the frame of the screen. You can see this easier if you flood the screen with a solid color.
Electrolytic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:39 PM   #14
parapup
macrumors 65816

To Apple's credit

I recently had this issue and the Genius in Apple store did not waste a minute before ordering a replacement logic board and LCD both. 2 days and the problem is gone.

Things happen - it's not like Apple ignores these reports when they are submitted to them via the established channels - I would be surprised if people don't get a resolution by one means or the other.
parapup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:40 PM   #15
dal20402
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Completely wrong...

This is not an issue with the quality of the display itself, but with the LED backlight, which is an advantage when it is working properly as it warms up instantly and has a wider range of brightness than CCFL. While no laptop panels are all that great, Apple uses the best ones made in quantity.

The 20" and 23" Cinema, 24" iMac, and 30" Cinema are some of the best consumer-level displays in existence. Only very expensive professional-level LCDs are better.

Edit: just to add I have a Penryn/LED 15" MBP and have never experienced this issue.
dal20402 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:40 PM   #16
krye
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Apple doesn't make the displays. They just put them in their products. Blame LG, NEC, Philips, etc etc etc. If anything, blame Apple for bad drivers and firmware.
krye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:40 PM   #17
kornyboy
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Did this issue crop up when they switched to LED lit displays? If so, has there been reports of this problem with the MBA or 17" MBP? If the 17" MBP & MBA haven't seen the same issue, any idea why it is specific to the 15", software or hardware related? Just my inquisitive nature.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:42 PM   #18
darklyt
macrumors regular

Are any other 15.4" widescreen laptops having the same problem? (Something from Dell, IBM, etc.)
darklyt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:43 PM   #19
Electrolytic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicbomber View Post
What about 30 inch cinema displays?!?! *drools*
Put a high end Sony, NEC or View Sonic next to the cinema display & you will see a better image (brighter & more consistent color). However the cinema display frame or bezel in nicer...but that's about it....

I only buy apple for the os, their displays suck....
Electrolytic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:43 PM   #20
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

this is a rumour? i thought i was on page 2 news or some old archive or something. this issue is finally getting the light that it deserves. i got my macbook pro yesterday and when i first booted it up, i noticed uneven backlighting.

and i wanna know, do the previous gen macbook pros have this screen issue? i thought led backlighting was supposed to light the screen more evenly?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:44 PM   #21
amusiccale
macrumors 6502

Apple just replaced my display for a slight flicker. So far, the new display has been fine.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:45 PM   #22
zideshowbob
macrumors newbie

Another Problem from time to time

I have some graphic bug from time to time. Looks like that:
zideshowbob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:46 PM   #23
Derekasaurus
macrumors member

Has Apple ever responded "in any formal matter (sic)"? They usually fix their bugs quietly...eventually. Except when they don't.
Derekasaurus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:48 PM   #24
kabunaru

15" MacBook Pro: Most problematic Mac ever.
kabunaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:49 PM   #25
Tosser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxpert View Post
Hey Apple can care less about your screen issues. All they want to do is sell Iphones now.
Exactly.

Oh, and remember, you'll want MobileMe to go with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by krye View Post
Apple doesn't make the displays. They just put them in their products. Blame LG, NEC, Philips, etc etc etc. If anything, blame Apple for bad drivers and firmware.
LOL, what a cop-out! Ever heard of quality control?

The reality is, that it's Apple's quality control that has gone downhill in the last five years. And fast. It's like saying the sudden shut-down syndrome wasn't apple's fault, that it was the Motherboard manufacturers fault.

You might as well say that people should just live with Volkwagens and Peugeots that burst into flames, as it was just a part in the cars that screwed it up. That way no seller of consumer products can be held responsible for the quality of the product they sell.
QC ≠ Apple

Edit/add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabunaru View Post
15" MacBook Pro: Most problematic Mac ever.
Yup. My MBP (2.33MHz) is the final in a long row of MBP's I had to fight for. Most of them had the MB exchanged 3 times, and all of the time I had to fight uphill with Apple Europe, as it could not be their problem that their computers didn't work. USB problems, FW-problems, superslow at times (those were also suddenly bilingual in the OS - as in "simultaneously", no matter how many reinstalls). 17-19 months of hardships all in all. And people wonder why this (working) MBP will be my last MBP?
Tosser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion