Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:39 PM   #1
born4sky
macrumors 6502a

What if you break/lose your iPhone 3g ???

What if you break/lose your iPhone 3g ??? in 30 days or after ??? Can you buy it again for the same price or what ???
born4sky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:42 PM   #2
alejovh1
macrumors regular

not likely, I'm sure ATT will make you pay full price otherwise people would just lie to get a new one!
alejovh1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:46 PM   #3
skye12
macrumors 65816

You buy a new one at full price unless its been almost 2 years.
skye12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Niiro13
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Niiro13 Send a message via MSN to Niiro13 Send a message via Yahoo to Niiro13
I'd cry.
Niiro13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:55 PM   #5
tomegun
macrumors regular

Do you mean you break or lose the iPhone 3G or "break or lose the iPhone 3G"?
tomegun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:05 PM   #6
sassenach74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Do you mean you break or lose the iPhone 3G or "break or lose the iPhone 3G"?
What??

Anyway........I should imagine like the others have said here, you'd have to pay full price for one, as horrible for you as that may be, it's also right.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Niiro13
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Niiro13 Send a message via MSN to Niiro13 Send a message via Yahoo to Niiro13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassenach74 View Post
What??

Anyway........I should imagine like the others have said here, you'd have to pay full price for one, as horrible for you as that may be, it's also right.
I think they meant break or lose iPhone 3G

or

Break and lose.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:09 PM   #8
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
what happened to this whole thing about att insuring all phones as of the beginning of June including the iphone
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:11 PM   #9
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by born4sky View Post
What if you break/lose your iPhone 3g ??? in 30 days or after ??? Can you buy it again for the same price or what ???
Just like every other phone every other provider sells, you're gonna be jacked for full price unless you paid for insurance.

Seriously, why does anybody think the iPhone has different rules from all the other phones out there? It's not Excalibur (if it had 32GB and voice dialing, THEN it would be Excalibur).
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:13 PM   #10
Niiro13
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
Just like every other phone every other provider sells, you're gonna be jacked for full price unless you paid for insurance.

Seriously, why does anybody think the iPhone has different rules from all the other phones out there? It's not Excalibur (if it had 32GB and voice dialing, THEN it would be Excalibur).
Maybe they figured that since the first iPhone wasn't subsidized, then the iPhone has different rules? =/ It's a stretch.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 05:20 PM   #11
citron230
macrumors 6502a

you arent able to insure all phones with ATT.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 05:26 PM   #12
onlycopunk
macrumors 6502

Why would the consequences be any different from a regular phone. You lose it, tough crap, buy a new one one. You break it, tough crap pay the replacement fee.
onlycopunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:12 PM   #13
sassenach74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlycopunk View Post
Why would the consequences be any different from a regular phone. You lose it, tough crap, buy a new one one. You break it, tough crap pay the replacement fee.
And not just phones, practically anything you buy is the same, unless you have it insured, even then it's often a battle with the insurers.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:15 PM   #14
javadh
macrumors member

I think a security company should write an app so when ur phone gets stolen or lost you could track it down with the use of gps.
javadh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:22 PM   #15
carfac
macrumors 65816

Quote:

The BIG difference is that no other phone makes you sign a two year agreement when you buy it. That is a big difference, and one not covered by any insurance.
carfac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 07:02 PM   #16
sassenach74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfac View Post
The BIG difference is that no other phone makes you sign a two year agreement when you buy it. That is a big difference, and one not covered by any insurance.
18 month contracts are becoming quite standard over here (UK). There is also nothing stopping you from taking out your own insurance for the iPhone, does it really matter if its your carrier or somebody else insuring it, infact more often than not all the carrier does is pass the insurance on to another company anyway, it rarely, if ever is the carrier themselves that insure it.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 07:07 PM   #17
onlycopunk
macrumors 6502

To get a subsidy price on any phone a 24 month contract is pretty much standard. So that point is irrelevant. Hardly anyone goes into a wireless store and shells out full retail for a phone.

Absolutely no company is going to help you out if something bad happens to your phone or any product you buy through your own neglect. Unless it is stated in the warranty or EULA.

And if you're prone to losing things, then maybe one should reconsider the purchase of an iphone. I don't know why people think that the iPhone is any different then any ther product.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 07:11 PM   #18
loskickking23
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfac View Post
Another diffrence is that other phones and companies give you the the option to get insurance.If you dont its on you which is understandable.But not to give you that option is nuts a way to make more money.I told my self the first time i break or loose my phone instead of getting a new phone i will give them the money to cancel my contract and get a phone somewhere else that i can insure.
loskickking23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 07:22 PM   #19
loskickking23
macrumors 6502

Quote:
To get a subsidy price on any phone a 24 month contract is pretty much standard. So that point is irrelevant. Hardly anyone goes into a wireless store and shells out full retail for a phone.

Absolutely no company is going to help you out if something bad happens to your phone or any product you buy through your own neglect. Unless it is stated in the warranty or EULA.

And if you're prone to losing things, then maybe one should reconsider the purchase of an iphone. I don't know why people think that the iPhone is any different then any ther product.
You guys must have been with att for a long time.I just left sprint before that nextel.Everything was covered under insurance except for water damage.I dropped,lost,and rolled over phones with cars and never had a problem with insurance before.5 years of breaking and loosing phones no problem.What makes this even worst is that this phone is a target by thieves.
loskickking23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 07:27 PM   #20
javadh
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loskickking23 View Post
What makes this even worst is that this phone is a target by thieves.
so my security app idea's gonna be a hit just like an antivirus
javadh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 07:41 PM   #21
tomegun
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassenach74 View Post
What??

What I meant was someone really breaking or losing the iPhone versus someone telling AT&T that they broke or lost the iPhone.
tomegun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:20 PM   #22
onlycopunk
macrumors 6502

The deductible also varies by phone. Usually about half of what the phone costs. The deductible on the iPhone would probably be comparable to Apple's policy of $250 for a replacement phone.

So it's not that crazy that they don't offer insurance on the iPhone. Specifically because Apple will replace it.

People need to stop looking at the phone as a product of the wireless company, but as a product of Apple. There is no insurance on iPods and laptops aside from Applecare. But you can also tie the iPhone to your homeowners or renters insurance.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:15 AM   #23
born4sky
macrumors 6502a

The reason why I am asked it's because of all this subsidized $#1t and it's going in very weird way, too many things involved. I wonder how much will have to pay just for an iPhone it self.
I don't understand why quantity has to be limited 3-5 per person and only payment is credit card ... WTF ??? What if I don't have one and I have no one to ask to get one? What if I don't like using credit cards .... you get the point.
born4sky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:26 AM   #24
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Can see that "I lost my iPhone 3G" scam running rampant with AT&T subscribers.

Just so they can sell one on eBay.

---

Of course with the credit card loss, they only pay a max of what you did for the purchase.

So, the replacement is still going to cost you money even with them. You paid $200, we will reimburse you $200 on the purchase of your $400 replacement phone.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:17 AM   #25
Nde
macrumors 6502

If you purchase your iphone 3g iphone using your Amex Card, it is cover within 90 days against theft. All you need (if it is stolen), is a police report and proof of purchase, Amex will refund your money back, full amount including tax.

My regular iphone was stolen 2 months after purchase. Somebody broke into my car and took my ipod and iphone. I filed a police report, call Amex, got my money in 4 business days.
Nde is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone