Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traderjoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Really need some help. I have an important database created on my Mac using an old version of Filemaker II. (Version 1.1v2 1989) Since I have gone to OSX, the old program will not work on my newer Intel Mac. I am trying to find out how to convert the old files to a newer version of FileMaker that will allow me to read and add to the file.

I have a version 6.0 and 9.0 of Filemaker Pro, but neither will allow me to read the old database. Might have to step up from version to version and convert. We are at wits end and desperately need some expert help!

Can anyone tell me how to do this. Files are a listing of 20+ years of articles and photos connected with a small magazine my wife and I publish.

TraderJoe:confused:

conormcd

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Filemaker II convert

Did you ever find a suitable workflow to get Filemaker II (1.1v2) to work with recent versions of FileMaker Pro?

Traderjoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Convert data from Filemaker II to Version 9

We were able to convert after converting from older version to older versions until we reached version 6 then we went directly to 9

Must go from version converted to next version. In other words you must convert the converted files.

It worked and we were able to salvage all our database.

We were able to download a few older versions free and use them in their demo mode to make conversions.

Traderjoe

conormcd

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
We were able to download a few older versions free and use them in their demo mode to make conversions.

I've only been able to find the trial version of FMP 6.0 on their website. Any idea where you downloaded those other older versions? Thanks a lot.

Conor

Traderjoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Hello,

I believe I went to some Mac sites like MacRumor, Max FixIt, MadCow, etc and searched for old copies. Do a Google for older versions of FileMaker etc..

Been about a year ago and I'm sorry I don't remember exactly. Looked to see if I kept any copies so I could send them to you, but evidently I trashed them after their use.

J Fracasse:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.