Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esquire360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Any ideas? have some iPhone apps that would be killer and i like hundreds of others can't code.

I'd like to form a company and dip into iFund

ghayenga

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Any ideas? have some iPhone apps that would be killer and i like hundreds of others can't code.

Let me know what they are and I'll let you know what it will take to code and support them.

gary hayenga

Blarged

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
Let me know what they are and I'll let you know what it will take to code and support them.

gary hayenga

At WWDC guys from different companies (start ups mostly) were going around asking young (20's) apple engineers if they'd like to come work for their companies as iphone developers. hahaha, everyone wants to get in to the market, but so far it doesn't seem like many people are willing to learn how to get there.

if you can learn to develop for the iphone, i think you'll have a bright immediate future

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
At WWDC guys from different companies (start ups mostly) were going around asking young (20's) apple engineers if they'd like to come work for their companies as iphone developers. hahaha, everyone wants to get in to the market, but so far it doesn't seem like many people are willing to learn how to get there.

if you can learn to develop for the iphone, i think you'll have a bright immediate future

The recruiting was definitely going full steam. Makes me wish I was in the industry, but I just do this stuff as a hobby and for my own enjoyment/profit. :D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Hmmm, all this interest in Cocoa programmers is interesting! :p

If anyone is interested in a Irish Cocoa developer tele-working, let me know. Attractive rates!!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

OK I'll bite. Hire me. I'll work for $100K per year plus health, vacation and retirement benefits and I want some kind of stock option or percent of profits. If you can't do that I'd be losing money If this is a non-trivial application I figure my first job will be to hire a few more engineers. Later as we come close to release we can worry about hiring customer support people and marketing. Do you have a plan to cover payroll and office space until this thing turns a profit? I've done this before and believe me $1M does not buy you much when it comes to software..

Keyword "immediate". At first everyone and his dog will be writing iPhone software but later there will be a huge tinning out process. The world really does not need 3,000 "Maze" games. And people will soon figure out that selling 20 copies of an app per month at $5.99 each does not pay the bills.

I think the way to go is to give the software away and figure out how to make money on related service. Kind of the cell phone model, give away the phone so the customer becomes locked into paying you a monthly fee. Make the software a front end to same kind of service. Maybe dating (match finder) or weight loss. free app but costs a buck a month to use it. The trouble with simply selling software is it's a one time deal and prices seem to be so low. I kind of like the dating idea. The phone with it's GPS feature would literally lead you to the other person and the camera could force you to have "real" photos. Could work. but then it doesn't have to. You only need to convince a few million people that it could work and then they pay you a buck a month

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
I've done the math:

If your goal is to make a full time living off your application, with a target income of $80,000 per year, you would need to sell approximately 114,200 copies at $.99; 57,000 copies at $1.99; 38,200 copies at $2.99; 22,850 at $4.99; 11,400 at $9.99; and 7,619 at $14.99.

www.iphoneappentrepreneur.com

esquire360, check out MacYenta, I think it just launched. Look for people who already have iPhone apps in their portfolio and write up a proposal for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.