Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
I have a problem with my ibook g4 bought in 2005. I am just about to sell it for a good price, and the day after i receive half the money as a deposit, it decides it doesn't want to go past the blue screen in which it says 'starting osx' the blue loading bar loads fully, then it does nothing. i can move the cursor around etc but nothing else.

i have left it over night and still stuck on that screen. Also, there is a music cd in the slot so i cant put any installation disk in there. AND it just so happens my installation disk is snapped in half (mind you, i haven't looked at my installation disk in years so it could have happened ages ago)

please help, i don't know what to do and am stressing out.

I was thinking, should i just take it to a repair shop or try fixing it myself?

:confused::eek:

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
To eject the CD, have you tried holding down the trackpad button while starting your Mac? That should force eject the CD.

You could also try resetting the PRAM, cmd+opt+P+R while starting your Mac. Might help, but no harm trying.

In the worst case you will have to reinstall Mac OS X. If the optical drive is dead, you can use FireWire Target Disk mode if you have another Mac.

Danni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
i just found out that there is no cd in there, i thought there was but it'd been removed.

ive tried doing command+option+shift+power all at the same time, and that did nothing, is that the same as what you are suggesting?

its quite strange becuase i didnt do anything out of the ordinary to cause this.

also, do you know what would be the going price to get something like this fixed?

Danni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Oh ok i didnt know that, thank you for your help, i shall try this when i get home for i am in sydney. btw, new 3 level apple store??? awesome. :D:D:D

Danni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
still nothing, it won't even start in safe mode.

is it safe to say it's a goner?:(

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
Sorry, no idea this time. Unless you have another Mac OS X disc around that you can try booting with. Otherwise bring in to an Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.