Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but is it possible to make a web app (in dashcode) of a website that already exists? Like for example, what if I wanted to make macrumors.com into a iPhone friendly webapp (this is just an example, I don't really want to do that), is it possible? Or what about a full application, like MLB is making for the app store? Would something like that be possible, or would it need to be my website in the first place?

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I think you need exclusive rights to a site before you can, and even if you have rights, it'd be really, really hard.

However, building one for your OWN website probably would be easy (er).

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
And how would you do that... I don't even know how to make a webapp in the first place- I can design a really cool one, but none of the buttons would work.

Blarged

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
And how would you do that... I don't even know how to make a webapp in the first place- I can design a really cool one, but none of the buttons would work.

making it look good is half the battle i've found... but i'm a coder, not a designer. it all depends on what you want to make an app of on your website. Basically web apps for the iphone are just normal websites that are formatted to look pretty on the iphone's screen.

give some details of what you're doing and maybe some people can give you a direction of where to look

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Actually, I've been working with this text message reminder site about creating an iPhone webapp or app for the app store, but apparently not only do I need to know how to create iPhone apps/webapps (I'm starting with Cocoa), but I need to know something about XMLRPC... this is in their description for their website:

We provide an XMLRPC server for third parties to integrate into their applications. An XML-RPC message is an HTTP-POST request. The body of the request is in XML. A procedure executes on the server and the value it returns is also formatted in XML.

... and I was like huh???

My first inclination was to copy their source code into dashcode, which worked but nothing submitted.

Blarged

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
Well I don't know anything about xml-rpc, but cocoa is definitely the right place to start for iphone apps. depending on how familiar you are already with object oriented programming, you might want to check out some info on that before delving into an actual language. that all depends on how you personally learn though.

check out this doc from apple:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/Introduction/chapter_1_section_1.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30001163-CH1-SW2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.