Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blubox

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Earth
I am really getting worried about my iMac's screen. I fear that there may be some screen bleeding. I was watching a DVD and when it was black the i could see the edges were brighter than the middle. However, this was only near the edges. Is this normal? What should I do? Should I take it back to the Apple Store?

Thanks in advance. I'm really worried.

adjones

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2007
If you can noticably see bright patches around the edges of the screen then you have some bleed.

Whether or not to return it is up to you. Do you notice it all the time or is it just when you are watching movies/playing games in low light situations?

neogeo71

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
I say, I bought this beautiful computer and I want to watch tv through eyetv and movies on it. I want a screen without bleed as I have seen imacs without this problem. This is unacceptable from apple. I cannot believe they have not corrected this issue and it is still in newer models.

Anyone who accepts this amount of bleed saying lcd is not a perfect technology etc is kidding themselves. I have seen many lcd's from many manufactures, cheapest to most expensive and none have bleed like this, u should not be able to see it while watching a dark or letter boxed movie period. It is a design flaw, and apple should have stepped up to correct it. It is a shame really cuz in every other way it is an amazing design.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
I am really getting worried about my iMac's screen. I fear that there may be some screen bleeding. I was watching a DVD and when it was black the i could see the edges were brighter than the middle. However, this was only near the edges. Is this normal? What should I do? Should I take it back to the Apple Store?

You have to be your own judge. Sounds like a pretty minor bleed to me though. If it bugs you take it back, but be advised that replacement might have something worse, like uneven back lighting, a stuck pixel dead center of the screen, or dead pixels, or a buzz from the speakers, or a fan that is hitting a wire and causing a clicking noise, or a hard drive that fails after 30 days, or a video card that burns out after 6 months, or a scratched case or screen, or a bent keyboard, or {insert your worst fear here}

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.