Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaskra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I seem to recall reading somewhere that wildcard search should work 10.5.x Spotlight.

I type
*IMG* into spotlight (I have tons of JPG files with this filename) and get No Results Found

If I try other searches like catalog*pdf where I know I have a file called catalog.pdf, it still does not find anything.

Is there a trick to searching with wildcards in Leopard Spotlight?

chocodup

macrumors member
May 17, 2008
I never succeeded in using wildcards in Spotlight.
Instead, I use the Find of Finder.

You can specify as many search criteria as you want (click the "+" button under the basic search field)

Example:
Filename contains IMG
AND
Type is image

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Spotlight defaults to a "contains" search.

So just typing 'img' into spotlight brings forth loads of hits.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Wildcards are drastically underused IMO. I wish I could get them to work in Automator for renaming batches of files, but it just isn't happening to this point.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
type in kind: pdf cat and that will narrow it down. It you just type in knd:pdf you will get a list of all pdf files. You can also use boolean poerator in there such as AND NOT OR and so on.

Apologies if this is obvious.

Tom

jaskra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
knd:pdf not working for me

Thanks all for your tips

@Thomas the kind:<file type> trick is a good one - I'll use that to narrow it down

@chocodup - I had not messed with the advanced search options in finder search - makes things easy too

cheers!

toltmanns

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
finder wildcards

After reading a threaded response, I noticed that there is no way to negate a search criteria (say anything matching the search, except for in a file ending with X). Any idea? Can anyone recommend a great osx literary resource?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.