Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Australian IT reports that Telstra will join Optus and Vodafone in launching the new iPhone 3G in Australia.
Telstra stayed quiet as its rivals wracked up marketing points by standing in the glow of the local iPhone launch, but will now go ahead and sell the device according to people close to the company.
According to their sources, Telstra's introduction will lag behind July 11th introduction and is targeting a July 22nd sales date.

An official announcement is expected next week.

Article Link

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Of course they're going to sell it.

They own all the infrastructure here which is why competition is so difficult and they're the most money-grubbing company in the country so they'd be mad not to try and squeeze as much money out of the iPhone as they can.

It'd be sweet on their network though, fast and the coverage is massive - shame it's Telstra though. Their prices suck and the service is worse.

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia
I wouldn't mind telstra, i am currently with them because of the 1c text messages between telstra mobiles, so it is good cheap way to text. So if the iPhone were with telstra then people would be able to text me cheaper

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Telstra isn't the best company, but like it matters to me.

I suppose I should mention that Telstra's CEO (the American one) hates Apple. And if Telstra is involved you could almost bet they wont be offering the iPhone without a contract, even though it'd be pretty much open as there's already two networks with deals.

stefanski

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2004
Australia
>I suppose I should mention that Telstra's CEO (the American one) hates Apple

This claim would be based on what? (other than hot air and unconfirmed rumors)

Telstra made only one "knitting" comment about Apple and it wasn't even Sol Trujillo. So what are you talking about?

Telstra may be the most expensive carrier but they do have the best coverage. If they are going to sell the iphone then we really don't have much to complain about. 3 carriers to choose from with different pricing structures and you can choose the one that suits you best. I'm looking forward to July!

punkybadhip

May 23, 2008
Who really cares? Telstra is utter garbage!

Anyone that signs with them needs to research the market!

Just have a look at the difference in internet pricing. I get 5G/month on ADSL2+ for $40 from my ISP, no extra charges. Telstra's ADSL2+ starts at $60 for 600MB! Moreover, most Telstra plans have further charges for downloads! LOL

Furthermore, their service and quality is very poor. Regarding the iphone, why the hell would someone take Telstra when there is Vodaphone?

Punkybadhip

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
..........Telstra made only one "knitting" comment about Apple and it wasn't even Sol Trujillo. So what are you talking about?............

The three amigos AKA the holy trinity. Only one has to say it, they all think the same evil thoughts.:p

...........I get 5G/month on ADSL2+ for $40 from my ISP, no extra charges. Telstra's ADSL2+ starts at $60 for 600MB! Moreover, most Telstra plans have further charges for downloads! LOL................

??? 5G a month for $40. Did you leave a zero off the 5G? If not, you might want to check here for a better plan
http://whirlpool.net.au/

Might be worth waiting a few weeks to see what sort of iPhone deals appear.
I'm hoping for a no contract/unlocked model

zarusoba

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
Who really cares? Telstra is utter garbage!

Moreover, most Telstra plans have further charges for downloads! LOL

Furthermore, their service and quality is very poor.

Punkybadhip

True. But lets put this in context:

Poor service is the norm in Australia! We don't even know what good service is! Australia is a culture of f**kups!

Bottom line: the more co's on board, the better the deal for us.

Angsty

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia

Poor service is the norm in Australia! We don't even know what good service is!

Wow! That's a bit harsh! You know that there are other 3G mobile service providers out there that you can take your business to. If you "hate" Telstra so much - then - vote with your money and switch to another carrier.

But your vitriolic bad-mouthing a very good service - that is admittedly priced at a premium, in an Apple forum.... do you see the irony hon?? :rolleyes:

Ang

punkybadhip

May 23, 2008

Poor service is the norm in Australia! We don't even know what good service is! Australia is a culture of f**kups!

Bottom line: the more co's on board, the better the deal for us.

I don't know about phone networks. However, if you want good ADSL2+ internet, go for either Netspace or Internode. They are rock solid with good pricing. Internode is better if you like higher download limits.

punkybadhip

May 23, 2008
The three amigos AKA the holy trinity. Only one has to say it, they all think the same evil thoughts.:p

??? 5G a month for $40. Did you leave a zero off the 5G? If not, you might want to check here for a better plan
http://whirlpool.net.au/

Might be worth waiting a few weeks to see what sort of iPhone deals appear.
I'm hoping for a no contract/unlocked model

Do point out any plan that offers 50G for $40! :rolleyes:

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
it would be interesting to see how this could impact the data plan prices here.

Also Telstra's Next G coverage would be a bonus too...

Yeah - it will be very interesting what happens with data pricing.

I also wonder what the significance is that in the many announcements from providers that they're about to sell the iPhone, all have said "plans to be announced shortly".

Surely some carriers would know what they're going to charge... is there any reason Apple would delay all of their announcements?

Didn't Telstra buy up 3 a couple of years ago.
To be expected if one then both.

Telstra's 3G (2100Mhz) network was combined with Three's 3G network. They both have a share of the network iirc.

Three remains independent and any iPhone announcement would be independent.

edit: http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/busine...share-3G-network/0,139023166,139155373,00.htm

bkea

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Brisbane, QLD
I hope three does end up selling the iphone, they seem to have the best data plans at the moment

xseries.jpg

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
Telstra is 3G-850.... not 2100 i thought.... interesting news

The iPhone supports UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz) and GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), so no problems there. Also Telstra borrows (at least used to) some of 3's towers for UTMS2100 in the capital cities.

bkea said:
I hope three does end up selling the iphone, they seem to have the best data plans at the moment

I hope so too, would save me the hassle from changing providers, and as it currently stands 3 has good value for mobile internet and cap plans. Virgin Mobile (who is owned by Optus) has even better data rates, $10 will get you 300MB a month.

4mat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Don't forget us up here in Darwin. The ONLY 3G we get up here is Telstra NextG. If the other providers want any iPhone sales in the NT, give us 3G coverage too.

Hamish

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
telstra's sidekick data plans

if you look at Telstras current data plans offered alongside the SIDEKICK devices, I think it's something like $30 for unlimited data... really competitive stuff.

I am currently on Vodafone paying $1 per 5 minutes for data on a $49 cap with $280 of calls/txt/data each month. This has suited me so far, on my little sony ercisson. but when I get an iPhone, I would really love an always on 3G connection... and unless Vodafone can offer me something new, I think I'll be tempted to turn to the dark side (go with Telstra).

as far as I know Telstra looks like it has the best unlimited data plan out there, the plans posted from 3 don't look much better... it's all the time, unlimited data on some kind of cap or it's going to be painful and expensive when it comes to iphone users.

one quick note, I believe the data plan/sidekick deal was on a 24 month contract, with the sidekick being bought outright seperatly. not sure what that means for the iPhone but it might be a clue to the way Telstra plans to operate with these kinds of web savvy devices.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
I am currently on Vodafone paying $1 per 5 minutes for data on a $49 cap with $280 of calls/txt/data each month. This has suited me so far, on my little sony ercisson. but when I get an iPhone, I would really love an always on 3G connection... and unless Vodafone can offer me something new, I think I'll be tempted to turn to the dark side (go with Telstra.

Yeah I'm with Vodafone too and that plan works great for my occasional use. (my ADSL was down and it still allowed me to download a 90MB file in under 10 mins ... it was about 1.5Mbps). But the iPhone will want to have an always on connection so if Vodafone tries to stick with a timed charge they won't be very appealing. Then again Vodafone, Optus & Three have all done some good data plans for home broadband.

Vodafone and Optus are usually pretty similar in their phone plans so I'd generally pick between them - but if Telstra have a comparable plan and the extra coverage of 850Mhz I'd have to consider Telstra very seriously.

Ashims

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
Just got a message from 3 --

"Register your interest & send Apple your iPhone message. Click on the FREE link below: http://three.net.au/go/On3/iPhone"

Guess that means 3 is coming to the party...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.