Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 19, 2008, 02:52 PM   #1
jpotisch
macrumors newbie

Best practices for Time Machine client backups to Leopard Server?

I'm new to the forums, but as far as I can tell after many many searches, there's virtually no info here or on the tubes on using the Time Machine service in Leopard Server to backup multiple Leopard laptops and desktop to a single volume on the server.

We're looking to do that at our company as a relatively cheap and hopefully simple and manageable backup solution, but if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. My main concerns are:
  1. Does Time Machine assign its own quotas? Otherwise can one user with a lot of data changes fill up the entire TM volume?
  2. How does security work? Can I prevent Bob from restoring Sally's backup to his machine? Can I prevent a disgruntled Bob from erasing his own backups?
  3. Can I enforce a default backup configuration, i.e. skip photos, videos, and music? We ordered a 2TB drive and would immediately use it all up if such media files are backed up. We're willing to risk losing them (they're not work-related) to avoid spending dramatically more on storage.
jpotisch is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking