Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appledrone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Devon, UK
Does anyone know if you can watch shows on bbc iplayer through apple TV?

if so, how and does it involve a hack?

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
This feature will be available in AppleTV using the 2.2 Upgrade in July.

UK Users only though due to the TV Licence Requirements but bypassable using a UK Proxy server.....

appledrone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Devon, UK
good news!

Cool, where did you find out that?

So I take we will be able to directly access iplayer without the mac switched on?

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Cool, where did you find out that?

So I take we will be able to directly access iplayer without the mac switched on?

A friend of a friend of a friend....;-)

Yes, you're mac won't need to be switched on, kinda like the youtube feature.

In the meantime ;

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/27354

Download this, then you enter any url from the bbc iplayer website.

Once it's downloaded your tv programme add it to itunes and sync to AppleTV :)

appledrone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Devon, UK
markfc, do you happen to know that when it is available on apple tv, will the picture quality be better in full screen mode than it currently is on a mac? (becasue its pretty crap on my 17" imac let alone a 32 lcd tv)

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
A friend of a friend of a friend....;-)

Yes, you're mac won't need to be switched on, kinda like the youtube feature.

In the meantime ;

Well maybe the BBC have changed something?
Didn't work when I tried it about 5 minutes ago... :eek:

Quicktime gave an "Error opening movie" and VLC a "mp4: MP4 plugin discarded (no moov box)"

cb31

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
In the meantime ;

Just tried this and although it downloads the files there is some encryption now so they won't play. The author is aware of the issue and has asked for some coding help. Hopefully he can get the new version out as it looks very promising.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I'm more bothered about getting access to all their radio shows in the Real Media format.

Does anyone know if:

[A] Real are planning to release a player for the OS X iPhone/iPod Touch.

or

BBC are planning to move away from Real streams.

Also I'm know expert on streaming, but surely it would make sense for the BBC to go Quicktime as the Quicktime (Darwin) streaming server is open source and free whereas I imagine they pay Real for their technologies.

Is Real seen as more platform agnostic? I guess real runs on Windows, which QT doesn't. What's wrong with streaming MP3 either?

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Does anyone know if:

BBC are planning to move away from Real streams.

Well, you can now listen to recent radio programs in the new iPlayer Beta, so they play just like if you were watching a TV programme. I know the iPhone/iPod touch still can't play flash, but the BBC may make a workaround like they did for TV programmes.

Another interesting unrelated change in the iPlayer beta is the increase in video resolution by 25% from 512 pixels wide, to 640. This will be a nice improvement in time for the Apple TV

kissem52

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
BBC Iplayer

Well it didn't appear in the last update...it is an obvious requirement to make the AppleTV more useful. Does anyone have any idea if and when it is likely to happen.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Just as a POI for anyone making a purchase - BBC iPlayer is now up and running and is officially supported via PlayStation 3's web browser.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The BBC is continually changing its standards for iPlayer though. Boxee's implementation is not official, and likely depends on the way the BBC has implemented its current version of the player. It wouldn't surprise me to see it being switched off or even broken by the odd file naming revision or something.

At least the PS3 one is officially supported.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Is there any way to access the BBC iplayer from outside the UK?

No.

People in the UK pay for BBC content through public TV licensing which you have to pay if you have a TV, and this funds the BBC. Therefore, how should it be fair if 50-60 million or so are paying for our content, but the rest of the world watches for free. Even if there was a way for people to watch the iPlayer programmes from abroad you won't be making many friends here.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
No.

People in the UK pay for BBC content through public TV licensing which you have to pay if you have a TV, and this funds the BBC. Therefore, how should it be fair if 50-60 million or so are paying for our content, but the rest of the world watches for free. Even if there was a way for people to watch the iPlayer programmes from abroad you won't be making many friends here.

It isn't just the BBC and the TV license.

You cannot play any of the online US TV streaming services outside the USA either.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    164.8 KB · Views: 267
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.