Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:49 AM   #1
aaquib
macrumors 65816

My super duper network setup idea. Will it work?

Well, just before I start, I'd like to outline what machines/peripherals I will be using this setup with.

- Mac Mini (with Airport Extreme built in, according the manual)
- About 4 PCs. 2 HP, 1 Toshiba, 1 Acer.
- PS3, 360, WII, which are connected via Wifi
- Airport Express
- D Link DI 524

I was wondering if I could have the D Link router setup to my modem, capture the connection with my Mac Mini, and then since the mini is supposed to have Airport Extreme built in, connect it to the Airport Express via so that I'd be able to extend the range of wifi upstairs.

Is this possible? It would be awesome if I could get this to work.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:02 PM   #2
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

If you mean receive a signal from the DLink to your Mini's Airport Card then rebroadcast from the same card. I do not think that will work. Rather you would need to receive the signal through the Airport card then add say a USB wireless network card. Then use internet connection sharing to share the connection as an access point.

Or you can use a wireless repeater like the Linksys WRE54G.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:04 PM   #3
newappleboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to newappleboy
Why do you need the mac mini to extend to the airport express? Can't the AE simply pick up the wireless signal and redistribute?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:08 PM   #4
aaquib
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
If you mean receive a signal from the DLink to your Mini's Airport Card then rebroadcast from the same card. I do not think that will work. Rather you would need to receive the signal through the Airport card then add say a USB wireless network card. Then use internet connection sharing to share the connection as an access point.

Or you can use a wireless repeater like the Linksys WRE54G.
Not rebroadcast it from the same card. Attach it to the Airport Express via ethernet and then have the AEX rebroadcast it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newappleboy View Post
Why do you need the mac mini to extend to the airport express? Can't the AE simply pick up the wireless signal and redistribute?
The Airport Express isn't compatible with my router according to Apple's website. It only supports WDS networks, which the DI 524 isn't.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:46 AM   #5
ihabime
macrumors 6502

There's no Airport Extreme built into your mini, there's an Airport wireless card in there, very different things. Now, if you use the ethernet connection to hook the Mini to your router you might be able to use the airport card with connection sharing in preferences to do what you want. I don't know for sure though, because I don't have an airport card.

Last edited by ihabime; Jun 23, 2008 at 07:04 PM.
ihabime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Burtonsnow9
macrumors regular

ok i understand what you're asking. connect the mini to the d link via wifi and plug the airport express into the mini via ethernet and tell the mini to share its wireless connection and then anything on that side of house that cant see the dlink will be able to connect to the airport express station. that will be real easy and work very well, just have to keep the mini on all the time.

MBP 15" Matte
--2.6GHz (Penryn)
--4GB Apple-branded RAM
--250GB 5,400 rpm
--GeForce 8600GTm 512MB
Burtonsnow9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals