Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
OK, so there’s no front-facing camera on the 3G iPhone — and people who really want it need to just deal with that fact. It's not coming! At least for a while...

BUT -- would it be possible for a 3rd-party manufacturer to create a front-facing camera attachment that could be plugged into the bottom of an iPhone? (Obviously some sort of video-conferencing software would need to be created along with it, that can be downloaded cheaply, or free, from the app store).

And, if this is technically possible, do you think Apple would even allow it?

And, if they do, who HERE would buy one -- and how much would you be willing to spend on such an attachment? Just curious.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I believe it is technically feasible, and I think that even Apple mentioned somewhere that they will not allow 3rd party hardware attachments, it will be a little inconvenient to carry on a camera, this will make the iPhone a geek gadget, like the Handspring "Palms" Springboard devices.

Pre-historic smartphone era: I had a Prism + the Camera for photos and was going to buy the phone adapter, but it was really not portable at all to have all those add-ons with me.

A fair price will be $30 for the camera, and the app should be free like skype.
________
Mercedes-Benz 500

Last edited:

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Did Apple say NO to hardware attachments? I must have missed that. Ah well.

If there was one, and it was small enough and only $30 -- I would probably get one. Why not? If it was more than that, thouhg, I don't know...

I forgot the speakers are also on the bottom too, so I guess the attachment would have to be something narrow -- and not something that could just fit snugly over the entire bottom of the phone.

wasabi2k

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
Most people with a front facing camera hardly use it. And when they try using it for video calls...the bill scares them to never turn it on again.

It's just a dumb investment and development for the moment.

donnyboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
A simple solution to forward facing camera...

What about building a mirror that would attach to the iPhone and reflect the image from the built-in camera? Low-tech, yes. But it could prove useful. Any app created for video conferencing could simply flip the image.

-DoNNyBoY

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
...building a mirror...

There is already a built-in mirror - but on the backside of the iPhone: The Apple logo. So if you want to shoot a self-portrait do the following steps.

1. Launch the camera application.

2. Press your finger on the virtual shutter button (camera symbol at the bottom) as long you can see it and leave your finger there. The shutter will release only when you lift the finger off later!

3. Stretch your arm and hold the iPhone as seen in the photo below. Watch the Apple logo mirror.

4. Move the device until you can see your mouth in the mirror.

5. Lift your finger off the shutter button.

6. Done.

Maybe you'll have to try it two or three times until you get useable photos of yourself.

Attachments

• iP_selbstportrait.jpg
    iP_selbstportrait.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 83

donnyboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, that shiny apply on the back would be useful for a self-portrait, but if you wanted to create a video-conference style app, you would want to see the screen on the front while the camera sees you. This could be a useful tool...

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Most people with a front facing camera hardly use it. And when they try using it for video calls...the bill scares them to never turn it on again.
Some of my friends purchased smart phones with front facing cameras.

They too were excited until they received the bill.

Fortunately, they let me try it out. It costs somewhere around $1 per minute for each party if I understand correctly. So a 20 minute video chat between friends would be $40.

Definitely would get expensive over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.