Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
This is a big problem I have been having. Ever since I upgraded to panther i have lost compatibility with transferring microsoft office files between my mac and pc's. I cant even send word docs to my professors anymore. Is anyone else having this problem? Its absolutely rediculous. When i used jaguar this worked fine i could work with projects seemlessly beetween my mac and the rest of the pc's at school. This is some bull****.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Nermal
What's the problem? Are you getting an error message?

No just overall loss of compatibility. I tried to open a powerpoont presentation on my parents pc and it wouldnt open any of the pictures and the graphs and charts were all messed up and unreadable. No one can read my word doc that i send through e-mail. Its like completely backward from the compatibility i had before i got panther. I dont know what to do but if it is really panther im gonna have to go back to jaguar. I also tried sending a word doc from my girlfriends ibook to her parents dell and we couldnt open it up there either. I dont know what else it could be.

zellin

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Dude!

I'm sorry but before you say it is BS and insult Apple as trying to eliminate Microsoft from your lives, consider that Apple does not make the products you are concerned with. Since the Mac platform is not Microsoft's biggest priority, it is possible that Microsoft has not fully Pantherized Office yet. However, I am not experiencing that Problem at all.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Re: Dude!

Originally posted by zellin
I'm sorry but before you say it is BS and insult Apple as trying to eliminate Microsoft from your lives, consider that Apple does not make the products you are concerned with. Since the Mac platform is not Microsoft's biggest priority, it is possible that Microsoft has not fully Pantherized Office yet. However, I am not experiencing that Problem at all.

Whatever dude you can stick up for apple all you want it doesnt change the fact that i am having this problem and that the only thing i can figure that is causing it is panther. It worked just fine for me in jaguar. So it is BS because when u go into an apple store and buy microsoft office they swear up and down it is fully compatible with windows. And if compatibility isnt one of apples biggest priorities as u claim, then it should be. I dont know why you would stick up for such a blatent load of crap. Sure i love apple as much as the next guy but common.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
No issues whatsoever here with going back and forth between PC and Mac Office documents on Panther.

I'd check to make sure that the files aren't being corrupted somehow (during transfer, bad storage media, etc.)

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
Transfer?

How are you transferring these files? If you are using the Apple Mail program then when you attach you need to check the "Send Windows Friendly attachments" check box. Otherwise attachments will not be readable in windows. If you are transferring via SMB or FTP then I haven't the slightest idea.

zellin

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Re: Re: Dude!

Originally posted by markjones05
Whatever dude you can stick up for apple all you want it doesnt change the fact that i am having this problem and that the only thing i can figure that is causing it is panther. It worked just fine for me in jaguar. So it is BS because when u go into an apple store and buy microsoft office they swear up and down it is fully compatible with windows. And if compatibility isnt one of apples biggest priorities as u claim, then it should be. I dont know why you would stick up for such a blatent load of crap. Sure i love apple as much as the next guy but common.
O yeah, who claims it is compatible?
All together now:
MICROSOFT

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Re: Transfer?

Originally posted by Edot
How are you transferring these files? If you are using the Apple Mail program then when you attach you need to check the "Send Windows Friendly attachments" check box. Otherwise attachments will not be readable in windows. If you are transferring via SMB or FTP then I haven't the slightest idea.

I am using the mail app and thank you for that piece of advice, however that is only a small part of the problem. When u burn a powerpoint to blank cd and it still ****s up everything on a windows machine, there is an obvious problem with compatibility. This is the case for my G$ mdd as well as my girlfriends new ibook g4.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I have seen this problem as well. Metafile conversion seems to be flawed. I don't know if it has anything to do with Panther but I hadn't noticed any problems before upgrading. I'd be interested in knowing if people who did clean installs vs. panther upgrades have had problems.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
I havn't had problems with word, but power point can be a pain. Yes an un updated version of powerpoint is compatable with an un updated windows powerpoint. but as soon as they are updated things go very crazy. for what i have been able to tell win and os x version of powerpoint are not updated in parllel, and there for updated version get broken. i don't know what $m would do this but.. that is the problem i have been having. you might want to check version.
G/L

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dude!

Um, that's because it is compatible

Just do me a favor and stop posting because your not helping. Obviously your just being an annoyance who is not trying to help the situation and i'm tired of educating you on the situation. And no they are not compatible if you read the posts above. I came here to get advice on the problem not to argue with annoying n00bs acting like 5 year olds.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by csubear
I havn't had problems with word, but power point can be a pain. Yes an un updated version of powerpoint is compatable with an un updated windows powerpoint. but as soon as they are updated things go very crazy. for what i have been able to tell win and os x version of powerpoint are not updated in parllel, and there for updated version get broken. i don't know what $m would do this but.. that is the problem i have been having. you might want to check version.
G/L

Maybe that is it, but i still think that is kind of rediculous. how am i supposed to find out what version each one of my professors is using? Is there any other program that is compatible with office? That doesnt need to be the exact same version?

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
i just bring my ibook for presentations and use keynote, and blow everyone away with sweet slide transistions

beerguy

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
I have the only mac in an all winders office. I've had zero compatibility issues since upgrading to Panther. Actually we have a really large spreadsheet with a ton of links in it that blows up on most of the PCs but runs find on my system.

zellin

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dude!

Just do me a favor and stop posting because your not helping. Obviously your just being an annoyance who is not trying to help the situation and i'm tired of educating you on the situation. And no they are not compatible if you read the posts above. I came here to get advice on the problem not to argue with annoying n00bs acting like 5 year olds.
Have you read my posts? Most people here are not having problems with Office and MICROSOFT CONTROLS OFFICE FOR MAC NOT APPLE so stop acting like I am a little kid who doesn't read other people's posts when you are either not reading or not paying attention to mine.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dude!

Have you read my posts? Most people here are not having problems with Office and MICROSOFT CONTROLS OFFICE FOR MAC NOT APPLE so stop acting like I am a little kid who doesn't read other people's posts when you are either not reading or not paying attention to mine.

Simmer down child. You may be reading other peoples posts but you are not helping what so ever. I came here to get help with my problem, not argure with you over whether apple or microsoft controls office. So untill you understand the point of this thread just stop posting.

Appreciated.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by csubear
i just bring my ibook for presentations and use keynote, and blow everyone away with sweet slide transistions

Yea that would be the easiest way to fix my problem for powerpoint but the most costly. I have been looking into gettin a used ibook though, maybe sooner than later. However I still dont know why this is happening to me. I tried to send a word doc to my brother just to test if it worked using the mail app with the send windows friendly attachment thing checked and it still didnt work. This is so frusturating.

zellin

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dude!

Simmer down child. You may be reading other peoples posts but you are not helping what so ever. I came here to get help with my problem, not argure with you over whether apple or microsoft controls office. So untill you understand the point of this thread just stop posting.

Appreciated.
What I was originally saying was that your initial reaction made it seem as though you thought Apple decided to shut down Office for Mac entirely. I was just saying that it was not "bull****", and nobody I know was having that problem. When you came back at me I came back at you, and I am sorry if you think that I am just on this forum to argue with you, cause that's not true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.