Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will AppleTV lose the box and become just a service in the near future?

• Yes

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • No

Votes: 39 60.0%
  • No, but the box will get smaller

Votes: 20 30.8%

• Total voters

pawn3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Seriously, why is this thing so big?
Why can't it sit on top of my monitor?

I WANT WIRELESS TV! :mad:

I want to carry my monitor into the kitchen while i'm cooking and watch TV. Now I'm trying to think of a way to mount my AppleTV to the back of the monitor and make it just once piece.

There's no reason ATV should be that big. It's another bulky item and it's about to end up in the landfill.

My guess is that sometime in the near future, TV's and monitors come equipped with Wi-Fi and Apple TV will be just a service. No box needed. Or maybe Apply TV, will actually be a TV.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
and the point of this thread is?

of course one day just about everything will just be a monitor and all our media and other content will live in the cloud.

J

jmadlena

If you wanted a tiny device so badly, why did you buy an AppleTV? Apple provides the dimensions on the website, and you can take a look at an Apple store or a Best Buy. Seeing as how Apple is all about smaller=better, I'm sure they made it as small as they could.

Don't get mad at the AppleTV because you bought one prematurely.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
well maybe you should build your own :apple:TV replacement and then post pictures of how much smaller it is than Apple's attempt.

you're just a consumer, like me or the guy over there

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Get a MacBook Pro 17" so you can watch your videos whenever you want.

Maybe :apple: will release sometime soon the :apple:iMicroWave, and it will deliver your lunch or dinner via iTunes store while you watch your favorite podcast, or the latest WWDC video, only non-meat content will be available at the launch, and the cook/re-heat time will be in sync with the duration of the video you are watching, so you don't miss anything...
________
medical marijuana grow

Last edited:

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I know how you feel. My Apple TV is great and all but my 52” plasma is too darn heavy to haul into the backyard when I’m barbequing. Why are they so heavy!? I’m so angry I could almost post a rant about it! :confused:

bamaworks

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Lexington, KY
What are you cooking ? Popcorn ?
I personally EITHER cook OR watch TV - but maybe that's just me :D

Or he could just man up and buy a 15" LCD and put it in the kitchen. Hell, if he cries about movies, just let him put another TV in there... or hook up his iPod... or sever some of his dependence on the screen...

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Considering the power supply and hard drive are built in, it is quite a nice size.

Instead of carrying my Apple TV about, I have a USB powered portable hard drive that I plug into my Mac and use Front Row to access all the content that is on my Apple TV.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
really? honestly, its pretty small, considering it can replace your dvd player and cable box.

I mean, its a low power computer...how small do you expect it to get?

KakaduDreamer

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Exeter, California USA
This thread sucks.

If you can't go without TV for the 15-30 minutes it takes to cook a meal you have some serious problems.

Hmmmmm....I got to thinking about this whole watching-TV / cooking-in-the-kitchen issue that 'pawn3d' is struggling with. Perhaps his real issue is this:

'pawn3d' just can't bear the thought of being apart for even 15-30 minutes from the meal-cooking hotties such as Giada De Laurentiis and Rachel Ray on The Food Network!

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STnAhP9zxoo

:D

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
LOL, funny rant, and funnier follow ups. I was just thinking how nice it would be to have a portable TV that gets all the goodies, such as :apple:TV, but I can't say I'm angry it doesn't already exist.

I'm sure the OP knew his unit would be the same size as advertised, and that he wasn't getting the futuristic, unreleased version that hasn't been developed yet (for the same price as current tech.).

I suspect the development of OLED tech. will likely play a role in making the OP's dream a reality. Patience, grasshopper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.