Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicdanw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Hey all! This is my second thread here, and I'm still trying to decide what to buy...

After the iPhone was announced with a required $30/month plan, I decided there was no way I or my parents were paying for that. So it's going to be an iPod touch for me. However, I just looked at the buyer's guide on this site, and saw that I should wait to buy an iPod touch, because it was coming to the end of a cycle. Could someone elaborate for me on this? I definitely don't want to buy one if they'll come out with a better one in a month or so, but I do want a new mp3 player soon...

stealthninja

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
MI
in my experience the macrumors buyers guide has been pretty good at predicting when updates are coming. I also have read (probably on these forums) that ipod updates usually come right after apple's educational free ipod with mac promo. if i were you i would wait, i for example am waiting for the next generation of ipod classics to come out before buying my next ipod.

magicdanw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
in my experience the macrumors buyers guide has been pretty good at predicting when updates are coming. I also have read (probably on these forums) that ipod updates usually come right after apple's educational free ipod with mac promo. if i were you i would wait, i for example am waiting for the next generation of ipod classics to come out before buying my next ipod.
Any idea what updates might include? Also, do you know when the promo ends? I'm quite new to the Apple predicting game...my first iPod was a 4g B&W purchased about a week before the Video iPod came out :p Sadly, I traded the iPod Video (which I eventually got) to my brother for his Archos, which turned out to have shiitty battery life & interface, which is why I now want to get an iPhone soon.

stealthninja

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
MI
the promo is valid through September 15, 2008.
as for the updates i really haven't a clue what apple has in store for their new ipods. i mean what more could we ask for?

magicdanw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
the promo is valid through September 15, 2008.
as for the updates i really haven't a clue what apple has in store for their new ipods. i mean what more could we ask for?
Internal speakers, GPS, camera, to name a few. Of course, Apple wants people to pay them lots of money for the iPhone, so I doubt they'll bring these "elite" features over to the lowly iPod Touch. (As you can probably tell, I'm not an Apple fanboy who worships the ground Steve Jobs stands on. I recognize the iPhone/iPod touch as some quality products, but I'm still a PC boy at heart who builds his own desktops :p)

Kohkane

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Internal speakers, GPS, camera, to name a few. Of course, Apple wants people to pay them lots of money for the iPhone, so I doubt they'll bring these "elite" features over to the lowly iPod Touch. (As you can probably tell, I'm not an Apple fanboy who worships the ground Steve Jobs stands on. I recognize the iPhone/iPod touch as some quality products, but I'm still a PC boy at heart who builds his own desktops :p)

A camera will never happen...=p

magicdanw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Anyway, can we get back to the topic of whether I should wait to buy an iPod Touch? Does anyone know anything about what might be released, and when?

Kohkane

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
I say get it now..It'll be pointless to wait unless u don't wat to pay 9.95 for the update in july

magicdanw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
I say get it now..It'll be pointless to wait unless u don't wat to pay 9.95 for the update in july
I don't care about paying $10 for the software update. What I'm worried about is the macrumors buyer's guide saying that the device is ending a product cycle, which to me suggests that there may be a hardware update that I should hold out for. Any information about that?

brandon.vong

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
I wanna wait to see if any updates come but my friend is ordering a new MacBook so I'm gonna be picking up a 32GB iPod touch. $200 for a 32GB doesn't sound too bad right? :D Should I tell her to wait until after July 11?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
and here i thought we were talking about an mp3 player.....:apple:

magicdanw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
and here i thought we were talking about an mp3 player.....:apple:
Internal speaker makes quite a lot of sense for an mp3 player. And as for camera and GPS, what makes them any more suitable on a phone than an mp3 player?

But I agree, they aren't necessary features, and not having them won't be a deal breaker for me. I just don't want to buy a device and find out that I should have waited a little longer to purchase... But nobody here seems to know much about what might come out in a few months, so maybe I should buy one now? Any suggestions?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Internal speaker makes quite a lot of sense for an mp3 player. And as for camera and GPS, what makes them any more suitable on a phone than an mp3 player?

But I agree, they aren't necessary features, and not having them won't be a deal breaker for me. I just don't want to buy a device and find out that I should have waited a little longer to purchase... But nobody here seems to know much about what might come out in a few months, so maybe I should buy one now? Any suggestions?

ill tell you right now that the touch will have none of those features, or ill eat my wieght in salmon.

magicdanw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
ill tell you right now that the touch will have none of those features, or ill eat my wieght in salmon.
I know! I get it! I got it when I first posted about those features:
Internal speakers, GPS, camera, to name a few. Of course, Apple wants people to pay them lots of money for the iPhone, so I doubt they'll bring these "elite" features over to the lowly iPod Touch.
I get it, I got it, you can stop telling me it!

Now, does anyone know what will change if I wait it out? Or does anyone think I should even bother waiting, instead of getting an iPod touch now?

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I know! I get it! I got it when I first posted about those features:I get it, I got it, you can stop telling me it!

Now, does anyone know what will change if I wait it out? Or does anyone think I should even bother waiting, instead of getting an iPod touch now?

Just buy it now and enjoy it. You'll have to buy 2.0 sometime soon but its only $10.

I honestly don't see any MAJOR changes coming to the touch in the next update.
:apple: :apple: :apple:

whiteness

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
yup u can buy now!
no camera,gps,or something like an iphone
cz its make iphone killed by ipod touch
and theres no 64gb early

illidian

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
There is no new hardware to be put in the Touch.

While I like the Buyer's Guide, for all the questions we get on this forum we need a disclaimer for the Touch. The basis of the 153 average was because 32GB became economical at that time. There were no hardware updates. 64GB is not economical at this time. There are no hardware updates. A trend line that includes only two points is a poor reference (though better than nothing).

magicdanw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
There is no new hardware to be put in the Touch.

While I like the Buyer's Guide, for all the questions we get on this forum we need a disclaimer for the Touch. The basis of the 153 average was because 32GB became economical at that time. There were no hardware updates. 64GB is not economical at this time. There are no hardware updates. A trend line that includes only two points is a poor reference (though better than nothing).
Ahh. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks a bunch! :) Also, I'd like to let you all know that I'm re-entering the electronic fruit community :apple: :D I placed an order for my iPod Touch 16GB online, and shipping estimates I'll have it in 2 days :) I'm getting my music ready for a new home, and my brain ready for a new coding platform :)

puma7

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
They won't do any major updates. It is fine as it is. It's still thinner than the iPhone. The 2 things I think they will do is

1) drop 8 GB and lower each other level $50.

2) possibly introduce 64GB

If they add the camera, GPS, they will just be fighting the iPhone for money; it's not a one-in-all device, it's an MP3 player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.